ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

transmission repair info needed for A541E (94 ES 300)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 08:17 AM
donmcc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission repair info needed for A541E (94 ES 300)

My transmission overdrive light is blinking, cel is on and the car will not downshift into low gear unless I shift it manually. I have pulled the code (P0753) saying that shift solenoid A has an electrical malfunction. I checked the door panel and found the car to have a06a-A541E transmission. I have gone online to Cobra Transmissions. They have 2 kits listed for the tranny. I am leaning toward the cheaper kit which comes with 2 shift solenoids and a bracket. The 2nd kit also has a new lock-up solenoid in it. Should I go ahead and spend the extra $50 and put a new lock-up solenoid in the tranny also? The tranny has 200 k on it. Should I also buy the repair manual? I am pretty mechanical. I think I should be able to R&R without a manual. Thoughts from someone who has done this before would really be helpful.
Old 03-31-13, 03:55 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done repairs to the same transmission myself when my lock-up solenoid fried.

Considering the valve body has to be removed when replacing the solenoid, I would just
pay the extra money and change them all at once.

It's a very extensive and involved do-it-yourself repair, even if you're mechanically inclined.
But it's definitely possible and worth it if you don't want to spend $500+ to have someone do it.
However, it's pretty much straight forward and moderately difficult.

Best advice I can give is;

Take pictures as you're removing parts from the transmission. Especially the little valve pipes
that connect to the valve body and transmission itself. Installing the valve pipes back on is like
completing a jigsaw puzzle. They can only connect where you removed them from.

Each screw you remove from the valve body are different lengths, so take note where you
removed them from. I drew a diagram of the valve body on a piece of cardboard and placed each
screw where they would go.

The gaskets on the valve body are pretty much paper thin, so you want to be careful when
removing the valve body and installing it again.

Also, when installing the throttle cable back on the valve body, it certainly helps if you have an
extra hand to do this. The valve body is pretty heavy when you're under the car trying to install
the throttle cable in one hand and holding the valve body in the other. You may need to remove the
"lead-stopper" on the throttle cable itself to allow yourself more cable to install on the valve body.

Give cobra transmission a call and be sure to tell them them the kind of transmission you have, to be
sure you get the right kit made for your car. They have an excellent costumer service.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck.

Last edited by msekanha; 03-31-13 at 04:05 PM.