ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 01:51 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Transmission dead? UPDATE - P0770 code

UPDATE:

The code is P0770

My mechanic said I probably need a new tranny. What do you guys think?

Hey guys,

So this is my first major problem with the car. About a week ago I started hearing a loud buzzing noise coming from the engine when I turned it on from cold. It would go away once the car warmed up. It got progressively worse, until I started hearing a whine/buzz while driving at varying RPM's.

Today the whine was really loud when turning it on, and I decided to take it to a mechanic after work. As I drove to the mechanic from work the car started to shift very hard from 2nd to 3rd and would jerk/slip. A few minutes like the check engine light came on. I thought the car would die before I even reached the mechanic.

My mechanic plugged in a code reader and it said transmission solenoid. He also heard the buzz and it's clearly coming from the transmission even when the car is idling.

He said I will need my transmission rebuilt or to buy a good used one.

Do I need a new transmission or can something not too extreme be fixed still?

Car is a 2001 Lexus ES300 with 225,000 km (139,000 miles) on it. I had the tranny fluid drained and changed once with a new gasket/filter. The fluid wasn't drained completely though, just whatever dripped out and refilled. I was told that draining the entire fluid wasn't good for the car.

Also any place to look for/buy a transmission? A Toyota Camry one should fit too? Any chance at getting a manual 5 speed one in there? lol

Last edited by Bumbobee; 04-01-13 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 02:29 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're mechanically inclined, you can change the transmission solenoid yourself.

It's very tedious, but It can be done. I've changed all of my solenoids out of my '97 Es300 before.

However, the valve body has to be removed...

Each screw has a unique length, so you want to keep track of all of them.

The valve body has paper thin gaskets, which you want to be careful not to tear.

And the throttle cable is a PITA to connect back on the valve body. You definitely need a third hand for this repair.

I've purchased all of my solenoids from Cobra Transmissions
They're the cheapest and they work well ^^

Do you know the code by any chance?

Last edited by msekanha; 03-28-13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 02:32 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, I'd take it to a tranny specialty shop. I made the mistake of trusting a first opinion when my 99 gs300 was acting up. I ended up paying $1300 bucks for a full rebuild, when all i needed was two $200 solenoids. The guy said my tranny looked very very close to new even with 145k miles on it. Toyota makes very very good transmissions.
Old 03-28-13, 02:34 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
If it were me, I'd take it to a tranny specialty shop. I made the mistake of trusting a first opinion when my 99 gs300 was acting up. I ended up paying $1300 bucks for a full rebuild, when all i needed was two $200 solenoids. The guy said my tranny looked very very close to new even with 145k miles on it. Toyota makes very very good transmissions.
That's what I'm thinking...I don't think I need a new tranny. I baby this car and I changed the fluid before.
Old 03-28-13, 02:51 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by msekanha
If you're mechanically inclined, you can change the transmission solenoid yourself.

It's very tedious, but It can be done. I've changed all of my solenoids out of my '97 Es300 before.

However, the valve body has to be removed...

Each screw has a unique length, so you want to keep track of all of them.

The valve body has paper thin gaskets, which you want to be careful not to tear.

And the throttle cable is a PITA to connect back on the valve body. You definitely need a third hand for this repair.

I've purchased all of my solenoids from Cobra Transmissions
They're the cheapest and they work well ^^

Do you know the code by any chance?
No clue what the code is, but it said solenoid something for sure.

If I buy this and take it to my mechanic do you think it will be sufficient? Is this for a 2001 ES300?

http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...e7c150d63d1d63
Old 03-28-13, 03:35 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bumbobee
No clue what the code is, but it said solenoid something for sure.

If I buy this and take it to my mechanic do you think it will be sufficient? Is this for a 2001 ES300?

http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...e7c150d63d1d63
Yes, that kit will be suitable, DEPENDING what type of transmission you have...

You either have a A541E or U140E transmission. I'm not sure...

If you look inside your driver's side door jam, you should find a sticker with all the specs listed on it and either one of those transmissions will be listed.

If not, I'm sure Lexus will be more than glad to tell you with your VIN#

Considering the valve body will be off while performing this procedure, I would
just change all of the solenoids at once. It will save you time and $$ if another one
happens to go again.

Once you find out what kind of transmission you have, give them a call. They'll be able to tell you what kit to
buy for sure.

I doubt you will need to rebuild your transmission. Good Luck.

Last edited by msekanha; 03-28-13 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 12:59 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Hey guys,

So the code is P0770

It says something about lock up clutch and solenoid valve DSL.

Anyone here have this code? My other mechanic said I will probably need a new transmission. I had to wait all weekend and they just bought the car in today.

There is a clear whining noise and the transmission sometimes shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd etc.
Old 04-01-13, 02:46 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

sounds like the solenoids are failing to actuate the gear change... this happened to me this summer when i 'lost reverse', a scanner reflash fixed it immediately for me though.
Old 04-01-13, 03:02 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
sounds like the solenoids are failing to actuate the gear change... this happened to me this summer when i 'lost reverse', a scanner reflash fixed it immediately for me though.
Did yours have a whinning/whirring/buzzing sound as well when just idling?
Old 04-01-13, 03:06 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Hey guys,

So the code is P0770

It says something about lock up clutch and solenoid valve DSL.

Anyone here have this code? My other mechanic said I will probably need a new transmission. I had to wait all weekend and they just bought the car in today.

There is a clear whining noise and the transmission sometimes shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd etc.
This is the same exact code I had when my solenoid went.

The "Lock-Up" solenoid is actually your overdrive solenoid. If you're on the highway, you'll notice
that your RPMs are higher than usual.

Though you'll be able to drive normally, you'll experience a loss of gas mileage due to pretty
much driving in 3rd gear. This could become serious because your transmission fluid will
become hotter than normal.

Although you'll be able to drive the car just fine, I would get it fixed as soon as possible before
you do any further damage to your transmission.

You don't need to replace the transmission BTW, just replace the sensor.

Good Luck.
Old 04-01-13, 03:54 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Did yours have a whinning/whirring/buzzing sound as well when just idling?
When i threw it into reverse it made a whine, since it wasn't engaging the gear at all, and wouldn't budge at all [as i in neutral].
Old 04-02-13, 03:58 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Bad news.

I got a call from my mechanic today and they said that the transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt. They said something is broken off inside.

I really thought it was a simple fix. They said it will be $ 2000 for a rebuild.

What should I do? Take it somewhere else or have it rebuilt? Or can I find a good used one anywhere?

This repair couldn't have come at a worse possible time
Old 04-02-13, 04:21 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

I'm sorry for the bad news, I know how you feel...

Did the mechanic say what actually broke inside?

Rather than rebuilding, I would consider looking for a transmission from a salvage yard.
In my area, used transmissions go for about $250-350 and you could pay someone the
labor work to install it. I would imagine that parts and labor couldn't be more than a $1,000...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ssion&_sacat=0

I see transmission on ebay ranging from $200 - $1,200.
Old 04-02-13, 05:42 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^ thing is, what if its **** within 2mos? Most of those guys offer warranty and all, but they'll require proof of what went wrong who did the work, etc.

Where the advantage of a rebuild is that most places will give you the 'extended' piece of mind with say, a 20k warranty no questions asked since they trust their work.

I'd check any JDM shops in your area, these motor/trans combo's have been in the 1800$ range on kijiji, and the transmission should be much less.
Old 04-02-13, 06:07 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

The guy is giving a 1 year 20 k km warranty on the build. I'm looking around and any good transmission is like $ 1500 +

If they rebuild it, would they fix the flaws the original one had?

Quick Reply: Transmission dead?