ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lost my wheel lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 01:35 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lost my wheel lock

So a couple of weeks ago I decided to change my break pads since my dad said he had the time to help me. Today I decided to get my tires rotated and patch a tire that has a nail in it at Belle Tire. I went through my glove box where I always put my PSI meter and my wheel lock and it wasn't there. I thought I misplaced it somewhere like the cabin where all the tools I did to change my break pads but it wasn't there The worst scenario in my opinion is when my dad took it for a test drive and the wheel lock was still hanging in there (which I highly doubt). Where can I find a extra wheel lock key? at the dealership? I heard McGard does it but I'm kind of confuse on there website.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm guessing this will work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/McGard-Lexus-Factory-OEM-Wheel-Locks-Lug-Nuts-Premium-/320643800380?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AES300&hash=item4aa7dc1d3c&vxp=mtr

I wonder if I can buy them and get Belle Tire to change them when they rotate my tires.

Last edited by IamLexus; 03-22-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-22-13, 01:56 PM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello;
I had the same thing happen a few years ago also. Triple check the trunk, tool pouch under the rear carpet. under all the seats, etc. The way a mechanic removes them is with a socket type tool that is pounded onto the wheel lock, and the inner ridges bite into the locking lug nut. Then they use an ordinary socket to remove it. The process destroys the locking lug nuts, and won't be reusable afterward, and you will need to buy either four new replacement lug nuts, or a new set of locking lug nuts and key. My cost was $60.00 for removal and the cost of new lug nuts.
If your key code is still in the glove box with your paper work and owners manual, you can order a new key with the information on the key card which should be a less expensive route. Although you will need to wait for the key to be made, and delivered. If you don't have the card, maybe the Lexus dealership has the key code saved for you.
Old 03-22-13, 02:47 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just drive to the dealer with the car and they will match up the right wheel. I paid $20 for a replacement at the dealer.
Old 03-22-13, 02:53 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Yeah I will double check again even though I check it like 20x but one more time wouldn't hurt. heck out he dealership, I went to belle tire the guy told me since Toyota/Lexus use some special "blah blah blah" and not a cone they don't sell them. He told me to buy them online or somewhere and bring it to him and he will charge me $10.00 for EACH lug he takes out! Crazy! I hope the Dealership doesn't steal my money
Old 03-22-13, 03:01 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I lost my lock once and had to break the locks off. I went to a local tire shop to have it done.

Other than the dealership, no one else had a key for my locks.
Old 03-22-13, 03:57 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

yeah, I think the dealership will be the best bet lol. $30 for a set of new locks and $10 for each lugs taken off that is a total of $70 bucks.
Old 03-22-13, 04:00 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Honestly, you should look at this as an opportunity to get rid of them. They are annoying and serve no purpose. A thief can easily remove them, if he/she wanted your wheels.
Old 03-23-13, 12:43 AM
StuckInVA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also am of the opinion that you should ditch those locking lugs. Easy to get off anyway and just another socket swap for you when you work on your wheels.
Eric to the rescue.
Old 03-23-13, 09:26 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

I wonder if you could take a slightly smaller multi point socket and pound it over the lug, then crack it off with that? I've used that trick to remove rounded bolts. I've also seen tire shop use air chisel.

i completely agree with last 2 posters...I just ditched mine. They are a PITA and can leave you stranded when you discover key is missing and you have a flat. does anyone steal rims anymore? I know it can happen, but I think it is low risk and rare.
Old 03-23-13, 09:34 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

DOH!! I didn't watch the video until after my post. depends on how tight the lock is on there...most lugs are over-tightened relative to the 80 psi or so recommended by mfrer. And a lot of times the socket spins ands doesn't bite on the bolt or lug. I try both standard and metric to get the tightest fit i can.
Old 03-23-13, 12:23 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IamLexus
yeah, I think the dealership will be the best bet lol. $30 for a set of new locks and $10 for each lugs taken off that is a total of $70 bucks.
I meant the dealer will have a set of wheel lock keys on hand. You can buy just the key to get you wheel locks off for less than a new set. I paid $20 at the deal when I lost my wheel lock key.
Old 03-25-13, 11:08 AM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Went to my local Lexus Dealership they said they don't sell the key what hey can only do is take them off and replace them with a new set or some regular lugs.
Old 03-25-13, 02:41 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IamLexus
Went to my local Lexus Dealership they said they don't sell the key what hey can only do is take them off and replace them with a new set or some regular lugs.
I am guessing this was the service guy that you talked to who wants to charge you to remove the locks and sell you a new set. The parts guy should have the keys on hand. I recommend calling the parts dept first and find out how much they charge for the replacement key. If the cost is worthwhile come back in.

My friend was quoted ~12 for spark plug for his IS from service. He walked over to Parts to find out it was something like $8. Same dealer under the same roof.
Old 03-25-13, 03:12 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They sell the sockets to remove them at Sears, which is why those locks are worthless and a nuisance.

The last 3 cars I have purchased have had them, I take them off Day 1 and put regular nuts on. If you want a complete set with key and paperwork, let me know, I tried to sell them on eBay but got no bids.
Old 03-26-13, 12:36 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Called the parts department and they said I need the envelope that came with it and I don't have it since I am the 3rd Owner of the car. I guess my only option is to install regular lugs. Anyone know what socket size to use for it? I don't want to buy entire set of socket.

Last edited by IamLexus; 03-26-13 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Lost my wheel lock