ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

car jerking

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 06:35 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car jerking

I have a 99 es300 and when i'm driving its fine until it gets between 40 and 45 mph then it jerks forward. When i step off of the gas and let it coast its like I'm pressing down on the brake even though i'm not and its only between 40-45 mph where all of this occurs. Car accelerates and slows down fine before and after those speeds. The check engine light or any other warning lights aren't on and I checked the engine and transmission fluid and both are full. Any ideas?
Old 03-16-13, 03:21 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

nobody has any idea of what it could be?????
Old 03-17-13, 04:36 AM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi jc2005;
Welcome to Club Lexus! The throttle position sensor attached to the back side of the throttle body is the only way the PCM knows about driver input on the gas peddle. When they get sketchy, you will see erratic throttle response. But I would test it before replacement with a new Denso brand unit. That is only a wild guess! The car slowing down as if the brakes are on sounds more like a hard component, ie brake, or transmission issue.
Old 04-20-13, 09:08 AM
rebornS14
Driver School Candidate

did your car make a loud buzzing noise at cold start? my car is having simular issues and i know its tranmission related. just cant seem to figure out exactly what because like you i do not have a CEL.
Old 05-29-13, 04:40 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moonphase
Hi jc2005;
Welcome to Club Lexus! The throttle position sensor attached to the back side of the throttle body is the only way the PCM knows about driver input on the gas peddle. When they get sketchy, you will see erratic throttle response. But I would test it before replacement with a new Denso brand unit. That is only a wild guess! The car slowing down as if the brakes are on sounds more like a hard component, ie brake, or transmission issue.
thanks for the welcome moonphase. sorry it took so long to respond my computer went out so i had to take care of that. thanks for the advice, I actually found out that my cel is not working so its been on the whole time. went and got the codes which told me that 4 of the cylinders misfire and the last two were p1354 system malfunction bank 1 and 2. the guy at autozone told me that my o2 sensors had to be replaced. do you know if thats what it really is or was he just guessing?
Old 05-29-13, 04:42 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rebornS14
did your car make a loud buzzing noise at cold start? my car is having simular issues and i know its tranmission related. just cant seem to figure out exactly what because like you i do not have a CEL.
no i don't have a buzzing noise at startup. the car runs perfectly fine unless i'm at highway speeds and then it starts acting crazy.
Old 05-29-13, 04:54 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rebornS14
no i don't have a buzzing noise at startup. the car runs perfectly fine unless i'm at highway speeds and then it starts acting crazy.
Old 05-29-13, 06:18 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles on the car, maybe try changing transmission fluid.
Old 05-29-13, 06:40 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitmaks
How many miles on the car, maybe try changing transmission fluid.
its 215,000 miles on it
Old 05-29-13, 07:21 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The code you have, P1354 points to the oil control valve which would cause the other issues. It's what controls the variable intake valve timing. Since it's both banks I would start by replacing the filters. They cost about $10 each and most any dealer should have them. How long have you had the car? If it's a sludge engine you'll be fighting this the whole time you have it.
Old 05-30-13, 03:52 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdbrown
The code you have, P1354 points to the oil control valve which would cause the other issues. It's what controls the variable intake valve timing. Since it's both banks I would start by replacing the filters. They cost about $10 each and most any dealer should have them. How long have you had the car? If it's a sludge engine you'll be fighting this the whole time you have it.
its actually not both its just bank 2. apparently the guy yesterday had no clue what he was talking about . i took it to a different person today and he said its not both its just bank 2. i actually just bought the car a few months ago but since its just bank 2 should i still replace the filter or should i just replace the the one bad valve? one more thing, is bank 2 the left or right side valve?
Old 05-30-13, 04:06 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jc2005
its actually not both its just bank 2. apparently the guy yesterday had no clue what he was talking about . i took it to a different person today and he said its not both its just bank 2. i actually just bought the car a few months ago but since its just bank 2 should i still replace the filter or should i just replace the the one bad valve? one more thing, is bank 2 the left or right side valve?
Bank 2 is the front bank. Don't replace the valve, replace the filter first. If it has a lot of sludge in it I would recommend pulling the front valve cover for an inspection. Do you have a maintenance history of any kind for it?
Old 05-31-13, 05:45 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you can clean the filter. Probably, don't have to replace it. Here are some links that might be useful:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lp-please.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ease-help.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4768156-post3.html
Old 05-31-13, 03:52 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tomf
I think you can clean the filter. Probably, don't have to replace it. Here are some links that might be useful:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lp-please.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ease-help.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4768156-post3.html
Why would you take a chance cleaning a $8 plastic filter? If it's the original it's probably brittle anyway.... replace it.
Old 05-31-13, 06:22 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Why would you take a chance cleaning a $8 plastic filter? If it's the original it's probably brittle anyway.... replace it.
yea i will just replace it. it will take more time cleaning it than to replace it which is just unscrewing it and putting the new one in.

Quick Reply: car jerking