ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 02:29 PM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers

Just wondering which coilovers are best to maintain a comfirorable ride. I know coilovers are going to be stiffer than oem but I was in my friends sti and every crack in the road felt like u were hitting a speed bump at 50mph. It was extremely uncomfortable to say the least. I was looking into the is ksports for 975 but when I did some research I heard nothing but bad things about them blowing out and stuff. Is it still an issue with the newer ones. I'm open to suggestions. I don't mind having a stiffer ride because I know that's what comes with the territory but my friend has a m3 with kw coilovers and it was amazing. They were a little stiff but it was tolerable I know the handling of my 97 es won't be as good as the 2 cars I was in but im tired of driving what feels like a boat about to tip over compared to my old a4 on its stock suspension. It's not like my suspension is old and warn its just how the car was designed since it wasn't really supposed to be a performance car. But anyway does anyone know abt the ksports I'd even get the ones that are a little bit more expensive if it will make a difference but I don't want to spend 1700 or anything.

I know I said I'm open to suggestions but not the ones that consist of "keep it stock" and "don't mod ur car" it's my car this is what I want to do.

That and can u use this tranny for a 5 speed swap on my 97 es http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/pr...oducts_id=1176

If not anyone know where I can get a jdm Camry front clip or tranny for the swap.
Old 02-09-13, 03:49 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get BC Racing with like 6k 3k set up then, it should be comfy enough. Ksprts are okay, but I would suggest BC easy to maintain and I have been abusing mines for over a year still no problem.
Old 02-09-13, 04:16 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm glad this is a new, never-before-answered question!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ions-help.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...w-goodies.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...coilovers.html
Old 02-09-13, 06:16 PM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

Thx Dixon helpful as usual. R those for a camry or es? And do u have any other recommendations.

And 01 ur right I'm glad too cuz no1 has asked the question I have using comparisons and reasons. All the posts u showed me r ppl askin "what are good coils." And u get 100 ppl with 100 diff answers not specifying how the ride is and comparing it to others with pros and cons...just get these they're great. No one answers like Dixon did with an exact type and recommendation on settings. And FYI I read all of those posts and didn't find the answer I was looking for so I posted my own question for what I was personally looking for. So congrats on being another sarcastic a**h*** that fulfills the mold of yet another forum flamer who's a d*** for no reason =D

Anyone have any info abt the tranny I posted a link to and if its usable for a 5 speed swap in our cars? Thx
Old 02-09-13, 06:26 PM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

Do u think bc is as smooth as the jic? And I've been in a lot of cars w lowering springs (wrx, integra, civic, 300zx,etc) its not just me. Coilovers have a better/smoother ride than just lowering springs right?
Old 02-09-13, 08:23 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Most of the coilovers are more harsh than springs on the stock struts. No technical reason for that, just how the parts are marketed none wants a stock height soft coilover. The stock spring and struts are your softest ride. Of course as you lower the car and take away travel you need to stiffen the springs up, so the ride gets tougher, that's just the trade off you have to make. The stock front springs are like 175lb-in and a 6k spring is 336lb-in and it needs a stiff shock to control so think about what that means...stiffer ride. Though I am guessing your friends STI probably had the "becuase racecar" type of coils they aren't all that stiff 336lb-in spring would be considered a pretty light spring for serious wanna be racers.

Springs are a good compromise though sometimes the stock struts can blow if they are worn or the lowering springs are not well spec'd by a reputable company. Some of those other rides you had may have been with some "too low and too stiff for stock shocks" type of springs, don't discount a nicely spec'd spring.

My general advice: minimal lowering, springs are great. Want more, get coilovers and make a little compromise to go low.
Old 02-12-13, 12:24 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can do a BC kit for you, with Swift springs the ride will probably be better than hat you have now.

Feel free to hit us up, we will be glad to help
Old 02-13-13, 06:32 AM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Power6
Most of the coilovers are more harsh than springs on the stock struts. No technical reason for that, just how the parts are marketed none wants a stock height soft coilover. The stock spring and struts are your softest ride. Of course as you lower the car and take away travel you need to stiffen the springs up, so the ride gets tougher, that's just the trade off you have to make. The stock front springs are like 175lb-in and a 6k spring is 336lb-in and it needs a stiff shock to control so think about what that means...stiffer ride. Though I am guessing your friends STI probably had the "becuase racecar" type of coils they aren't all that stiff 336lb-in spring would be considered a pretty light spring for serious wanna be racers.

Springs are a good compromise though sometimes the stock struts can blow if they are worn or the lowering springs are not well spec'd by a reputable company. Some of those other rides you had may have been with some "too low and too stiff for stock shocks" type of springs, don't discount a nicely spec'd spring.

My general advice: minimal lowering, springs are great. Want more, get coilovers and make a little compromise to go low.
im not looking for an insane drop because i dont want to run in to rubbing probs and stuff like that and plus where i live all the vdubs leave there parking spots with huge oil puddles because of cracked oil pans lol. the streets have potholes everywhere and its just terrible but i cant take the body roll and crappy handling compared to my a4 even when it was stock....any spring recommendations because i can get the stock struts and the whole setup wld be considerably cheaper than a set of coilovers...thanks
Old 02-13-13, 07:13 AM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a set of BC Coilovers, and with those coilovers you don't even need to run terrible low, in fact, the BC coilovers can actually go higher than your stock ride height, if you so wanted.

My goal for coilovers was to get rid of the boat feeling of my vehicle, the BC coilovers did this perfectly.

The plus side is that you can set ride height to whatever you desire, if you want to go slammed, you can, if you want to keep stock ride height, guess what you can, getting coilovers does not mean that you will be instantly slammed.

I would recommend the BC Coilovers with the swift spring upgrade. its worth it, you can set the ride height to EXACTLY what you want.
Old 02-13-13, 06:50 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ohhsoo
the streets have potholes everywhere and its just terrible but i cant take the body roll and crappy handling compared to my a4 even when it was stock....any spring recommendations because i can get the stock struts and the whole setup wld be considerably cheaper than a set of coilovers...thanks
Two words: Whiteline swaybars. Get a set, body roll issue SOLVED and your ride is only slightly changed. I love mine totally worth it. You don't need coilovers to solve that problem.
Old 02-13-13, 08:16 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I agree. I have the same setup as Power6, except for an addition of lowering springs, and it's very nice. I would compare it to a stock entry level sports sedan, such as your A4. We have stiffer struts, but I wouldn't mind having stock struts with Whiteline sway bars - they make a huge difference on their own.
Old 02-13-13, 08:37 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is true. i've forgotten about those