ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 Es300 Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 02:51 PM
andyshear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1999 Es300 Tweeters

My two front tweeters on my door in my Lexus es300 have finally gone after 14 years. I heard them starting to lose sound quality almost a year ago so I already knew what was coming. They still produce sound but it sounds like it is crackling because it is blown. I'm trying to find new tweeters for my car. What kind should I get and can someone send me a link with some photo's or maybe a video on how to get out the tweeters.

Thanks,
Shear
Old 01-31-13, 07:23 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't want to take a lot of trouble and time to fix them up, just get a used set on Ebay, they are pretty cheap over there.

They are easy to remove, open the door, grab the little plastic cover and yank it slightly up and away, it snaps right out. Once removed you'll see how it the tweeter bracket attaches, one 10mm bolt and it pulls out and then you can get to the connector to detach it.
Old 02-01-13, 10:48 AM
andyshear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Power6
If you don't want to take a lot of trouble and time to fix them up, just get a used set on Ebay, they are pretty cheap over there.

They are easy to remove, open the door, grab the little plastic cover and yank it slightly up and away, it snaps right out. Once removed you'll see how it the tweeter bracket attaches, one 10mm bolt and it pulls out and then you can get to the connector to detach it.
Thank you very much! Saved me from possibly breaking something. I shall look into a tweeter kit.

Thanks very much,
Shear
Old 11-23-13, 04:44 PM
buckjeep
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andyshear
Thank you very much! Saved me from possibly breaking something. I shall look into a tweeter kit.

Thanks very much,
Shear
Pulling up and away worked great for removing the tweeter cover. I needed to do this on my 1999 ES300 to reinstall the door panel. Door panel was off to fix a latch problem. The cover snapped back into place. Thanks for the instructions. Buckjeep
Old 11-24-13, 12:13 AM
Xtom73G
Driver

A heads up. The wire bundle between the driver's door and the body gets flexed the most, and broken or intermittant wires are common. Since the bundle is inside a rubber tube, you can't see the wires, and even if you could, a wire can be failing INSIDE its own insulation. The also applies to power door locks, window systems too. Often user manuals mention similar issues, but obscurely on some unrelated page...
Old 08-25-15, 08:54 PM
Mphidd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the how to on this. I just bought a replacement speaker for my 99 es300 and will be replacing it tomorrow
Old 03-16-19, 08:05 PM
256Mitch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Power6

your information was extremely helpful but how do you replace or install a new tweeter??
Old 03-17-19, 12:52 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Since the OEM tweeters and mounting are specific to the car, easiest is to get a used one off EBay and replace it. Going aftermarket opens up a whole can of worms: the door speakers are wired in parallel there is no x-over, so you probably want to get a set of component speakers for the door, and you gotta do a pair of them, both doors...next thing you know the whole car is apart and you are wiring a new stereo system...well that's how it would end with me anyways ;-)