ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 ES300 gas type

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 04:08 PM
kushdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 ES300 gas type

I'm confused. Do I need 91 or can I use 87?
Old 01-23-13, 04:24 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

91 for optimal performance & mpg, although it may not offset the cost of premium over regular.

The 1MZ-FE motor is high compression (10.5:1) and it can certainly take advantage of higher octane fuel.

This topic has been debated billions of times, please do a search to find more information.
Old 01-23-13, 05:38 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

91 will do nothing, absolutly nothing if your motor dont require it ( turbocharged etc...)
Old 01-23-13, 05:43 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

there is a translation from google translate of a article made by the presse ( studies made by AAA/CAA)

AAPublié June 12, 2009 | Updated June 12, 2009 at 11:32
If your engine was designed for regular gasoline, you get nothing more by providing the super if you spend your money unnecessarily, which is also called waste.

For the skeptics become fervent believers, they have, rightly, a good explanation. The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of gasoline to detonate, that is to say, the propensity of the fuel to ignite itself, period. Normally, the fuel must be ignited by the spark plug.

If gasoline has an octane rating too low, it will explode and create a detonation. This is what happens when we talk about an engine ping, a phenomenon that occurs when the air-fuel mixture is ignited by something other than the spark plug or by particles or carbon deposits reddened , either due to too high a temperature. Using a gasoline higher octane, detonation should stop.

By cons, this behavior means that the engine has a problem that development should be eliminated. Or, the combustion chambers have clogged over the years to the point of increasing the compression ratio. This also requires a level higher octane waiting to clean the combustion chambers. Because a higher octane level does not correct the problem, that it does mask the effects. It is important to correct the problem, if only because of its impact on the rate of pollution.

In fact, the octane looks like a shoe size: If your size is 8, you will not run faster with 10. If you use premium gasoline to improve performance when the manufacturer recommends the regular, you throw money out the window. Sorry to disappoint you, but you do not transform your Focus, Civic or Camry Porsche or Ferrari using super unleaded.

Moreover, let us here to destroy another myth of unleaded gasoline does nothing to increase the gas mileage or longevity of an engine. However, in some cases, premium gasoline may have, in addition to a higher octane additives than other grades of gasoline do not have or have less quantity. These additives are generally designed to make gasoline and engine cleaner.

there is the link for the french version :http://auto.lapresse.ca/auto/conseil...e-ou-super.php
Old 01-23-13, 06:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by marcoes300
91 will do nothing, absolutly nothing if your motor dont require it ( turbocharged etc...)
You need to do some more research. The 1MZ-FE motor is high compression therefore it can take advantage of high octane fuel. And performance will increase due to timing advancing.
The following users liked this post:
JflatChi86 (12-22-19)
Old 01-23-13, 06:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

there is a translation from google translate of a article made by the presse ( studies made by AAA/CAA)

AAPublié June 12, 2009 | Updated June 12, 2009 at 11:32
If your engine was designed for regular gasoline, you get nothing more by providing the super if you spend your money unnecessarily, which is also called waste.

For the skeptics become fervent believers, they have, rightly, a good explanation. The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of gasoline to detonate, that is to say, the propensity of the fuel to ignite itself, period. Normally, the fuel must be ignited by the spark plug.

If gasoline has an octane rating too low, it will explode and create a detonation. This is what happens when we talk about an engine ping, a phenomenon that occurs when the air-fuel mixture is ignited by something other than the spark plug or by particles or carbon deposits reddened , either due to too high a temperature. Using a gasoline higher octane, detonation should stop.

By cons, this behavior means that the engine has a problem that development should be eliminated. Or, the combustion chambers have clogged over the years to the point of increasing the compression ratio. This also requires a level higher octane waiting to clean the combustion chambers. Because a higher octane level does not correct the problem, that it does mask the effects. It is important to correct the problem, if only because of its impact on the rate of pollution.

In fact, the octane looks like a shoe size: If your size is 8, you will not run faster with 10. If you use premium gasoline to improve performance when the manufacturer recommends the regular, you throw money out the window. Sorry to disappoint you, but you do not transform your Focus, Civic or Camry Porsche or Ferrari using super unleaded.

Moreover, let us here to destroy another myth of unleaded gasoline does nothing to increase the gas mileage or longevity of an engine. However, in some cases, premium gasoline may have, in addition to a higher octane additives than other grades of gasoline do not have or have less quantity. These additives are generally designed to make gasoline and engine cleaner.

there is the link for the french version :http://auto.lapresse.ca/auto/conseil...e-ou-super.php
Read the owners manual. Lexus recommends running 91 octane or higher. They say you may temporarily use lower octane.
Old 01-23-13, 08:19 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

It does... I used to think the same, and for 5$ more a tank, i can justify it. The car runs so much better... I went from 87 to 91 over the course of 5-6 tanks, i can see myself getting more mileage this summer with the better fuel, as it burns more effectively now [hard to guage when i idle it for more than 5mins sometimes.]

Originally Posted by hypervish
Read the owners manual. Lexus recommends running 91 octane or higher. They say you may temporarily use lower octane.
The owners manual states 87 is recommended... but for 'increased performance, run 89'. Or so my manual says.
Old 01-23-13, 09:43 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i just stick with the medium gasoline not low and not high. i did find with higher octane=a bit more mpg over course of period too. Plus i also switch gasoline between brands just for different additives. but sticking with top tier brands.
Old 01-24-13, 03:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
It does... I used to think the same, and for 5$ more a tank, i can justify it. The car runs so much better... I went from 87 to 91 over the course of 5-6 tanks, i can see myself getting more mileage this summer with the better fuel, as it burns more effectively now [hard to guage when i idle it for more than 5mins sometimes.]

The owners manual states 87 is recommended... but for 'increased performance, run 89'. Or so my manual says.
The 2001 ES300 Owners Manual States:
Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or
higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of
premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating 91
(Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended.
The last line clearly states that they recommend 91 or higher.

The 1999 ES300 manual states the same.

Link to 99' ES manual (page 373): http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...esom/sec62.pdf

Link to 01' ES300 manual: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...o/gasstati.pdf

In 2002 (still the same engine) they changed the wording, and made it even more clear to use 91, and to only temporarily use 87.
Select premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating
of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher for optimum
engine performance. However, if such premium type
cannot be obtained, you may temporarily use unleaded
gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87
(Research
Octane Number 91)..
Link to 02' ES300 manual:http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...pdf/sec6-2.pdf
Old 01-24-13, 07:26 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2001 ES300 Owners Manual States:

The last line clearly states that they recommend 91 or higher.

The 1999 ES300 manual states the same.

Link to 99' ES manual (page 373): http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...esom/sec62.pdf

Link to 01' ES300 manual: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...o/gasstati.pdf

In 2002 (still the same engine) they changed the wording, and made it even more clear to use 91, and to only temporarily use 87.

Link to 02' ES300 manual:http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...pdf/sec6-2.pdf
I have temporarily been using regular in my 2004 ES330 for 9 years, and there have been no ill effects. I have temporarily been using regular in my 2000 ES300 for 7 years, similarly with no ill effects. I have experimented using premium in both vehicles, and found no perceivable or measurable difference in performance or economy. If you want to waste money on premium, that's your prerogative, have at it, but the owners manual for his model year ES clearly states that "for improved vehicle performance" use premium, there is no mention of temporary use. I encourage him to try both and decide for himself if the benefits are worth the extra expense.
Old 01-24-13, 10:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I guess ignorance is bliss.
Old 01-24-13, 12:22 PM
285exp
Pole Position

I guess ignorance is bliss.
It would appear so.
Old 01-24-13, 01:08 PM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

Not in my 98 es manual dude
Old 01-24-13, 01:42 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Not in my 98 es manual dude
Nope, 98' ES300 manual recommends to use 91.

Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For
improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline
with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is
recommended.
Link to 98' ES manual:
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...esom/sec62.pdf

At the end of the day, it's up to the OP. I am done posting in this thread, as I've provided enough substancial evidence to warrant running high octane fuel in this specific case.
Old 01-24-13, 02:17 PM
285exp
Pole Position

Nope, 98' ES300 manual recommends to use 91.

Link to 98' ES manual:
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...esom/sec62.pdf

At the end of the day, it's up to the OP. I am done posting in this thread, as I've provided enough substancial evidence to warrant running high octane fuel in this specific case.
You've done no such thing. The manual for his model year does not say premium is required, only recommended for improved performance. Using regular will not harm his vehicle at all. He can safely use it continuously, not just temporarily. Then, as you say, it is up to him. He should try both, and if he thinks that premium actually gives him benefits worth the extra money, fine, but implying that Lexus says he can only use regular in his car on a temporary basis is incorrect.

Quick Reply: 1999 ES300 gas type