ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

JDM Power Folding Mirrors - A wiring odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 05:21 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default JDM Power Folding Mirrors - A wiring odyssey

Well the Holidays have come and gone, time for me to take some time off working and finish up a little project that I have been working on in various parts over the last 6 months.

This is a story not a DIY. If you don't care how the sausage is made skip down to the bottom.

Background: JDM cars all have power folding mirrors. typically you push a button they fold in. If you see the parking spots there you would know why ;-) Some US cars have them now, luxury cars like some Lexus/BMW/Audis, or as a selling point like on some Kias. Americans don't really need them most places. I put the power folding mirrors on my WRX, I figured out the wiring with another forum member and made the DIY. Naturally I needed to do the same to the ES what with all those Windoms with their fancy folding mirrors.

I had to step up the game this time. Mirrors have to fold with the keyless lock of course. Since it is not possible to use the same JDM switch as the Windom (LHD vs RHD issue) I decided to use the LS430 switch, with close/open/auto modes. I'd have to do some extra wiring to make it all work...

I started by getting a set of JDM mirrors to take apart, and an LS430 mirror switch to figure out.

Then I sketched out a circuit, involving a couple relays. I had a bunch of various stereo plugs/adapters hanging around from other projects, I decided to make a plug in harness to the stereo amp, to feed all the power that is needed for the setup, as well as feed power to my new iPod setup (will make new thread for that)

First test on the bench went well...

Put the relays in a project box to hide behind the dash somewhere.

Final testing woohoo soldered all the right wires...

Wiring harness done

Time for install. Mirror housings from the JDM mirrors were sanded and painted back in September. I have painted a few of my own small parts with the paint matched cans they come out great. I didn't need to paint the mirrors, but my stock ones had scratches on the ends, like the original owner tapped the side of his garage, maybe he needed folding mirrors ha. I used the stock mirror "bases" from my ES. This is LHD/RHD specific the bases hold the mirrors at different angles. I transplanted my memory units and the dimming glass from the stock mirrors into these ones along with the JDM folder, the JDM mirrors don't have the luxury options.

Then mounted the switch, install the wiring harness. Had to run 2 new wires into the doors for the mirror folding, and hook up the lock/unlock wires to feed the mirror controller.

And done!

Works as expected, "auto" folds when I exit the car and lock it, unfolds when I unlock.
Close and open can manually override when needed. I found with my WRX it is nice to keep the mirrors open on snowy/icy days.

Pictures don't really do them justice,

Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited by Power6; 01-01-13 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ELForce (10-14-20)
Old 01-01-13, 05:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Thats ****ign awesome haha, i love this feature on our LX
Old 01-01-13, 07:30 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

coolest member ever... haven't seen anyone on the boards go to such lengths to 'get it right' since Gato first had his ES back in 03-04, and Charley with his VIP car.
The following users liked this post:
Phddoinks (12-11-20)
Old 01-01-13, 07:51 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VERY nicely done.

Old 01-01-13, 10:00 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

NICE, I really like it
Old 01-01-13, 10:16 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome ... thanks for the timely post!

I am about to try something like this with the JDM Altezza folding mirror mechanisms into my USDM IS300 mirrors....

It will involve some custom fab just to get it all to work mechanically and then i get to figure out the wiring part... im sure THATS where i will struggle ..

we'll see .. Happy New Year
Old 01-01-13, 10:21 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

That is super neat. Only thing I would do differently is probably hide the switch out of sight or maybe locate it somewhere else, due to the color/texture difference.

Thanks a lot for the writeup.
Old 01-02-13, 07:10 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Thanks all for the compliments. I was really questioning the rationality of all this while i was freezing out in the garage with the dash and doors all apart this week! Hopefully a couple years from now I will still be using the mirrors.

Originally Posted by edgy
Awesome ... thanks for the timely post!

I am about to try something like this with the JDM Altezza folding mirror mechanisms into my USDM IS300 mirrors.... It will involve some custom fab just to get it all to work mechanically and then i get to figure out the wiring part... im sure THATS where i will struggle
You shouldn't have to fab anything but every mirror can be different, they deal with LHD vs. RHD in different ways. Typically you are just transplanting the folding part in. Let me know how you get on with it I might be able to help if you get stuck.

The wiring actually couldn't be easier, I made it waaaay more complicated because I used the LS430 switch. For the "low end" cars like a Windom or Altezza, the switch is wired right to the mirrors it simply swaps (+) and (-). PM me if you have any questions on wiring them.

Originally Posted by MrBooby
That is super neat. Only thing I would do differently is probably hide the switch out of sight or maybe locate it somewhere else, due to the color/texture difference.
Thanks for pointing it out, yes it was a consideration. The switch is the LS430 "metallic flake disco" look, doesn't match the car at all. There are only so many places to put the switch, and I did want a nice look, where I can glance at the switch to see what mode it is in. I think there may be a newer model that has a black switch, but I had to take what I can get used since the switch is too expensive to buy new. I will keep an eye out to change over to a better matching switch if I can.
Old 01-02-13, 07:49 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

awsome mod...also i am SUPER JEALOUS..lol
Old 07-29-13, 05:45 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

What about something like this? Do you think it could be retrofitted into the existing mirror controls? I'm just a bit confused as to how such a switch works, because I don't see an Auto mode.

Old 07-30-13, 02:46 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Yup that one would work. That is actually the switch that my old Subaru used, it was an easy swap since those cars are made all over the world with folding mirrors and the JDM switch drops right into a US car. Many Toyotas use the folding and no-fold version of this switch. Now of course that switch is similar to our stock switch in the ES but the orientation is off and the it wouldn't fit our dash. If one were going to do this and use an OEM based switch, I would suggest you get a switch that is a separate folding switch, not integrated with the mirror switch. Lots of those available in the JDM market, I have a few myself when I was working on the mirror project, before I went crazy with the LS430 switch.

To explain to you how the switch works, I'll take you through the steps of how I came to the complicated end I did...

The reason why you don't see the "auto" on the switch you pictured is that switch only has the two settings fold and unfold. Most of the typical JDM cars will have this, it is a very simple switch, it swaps (+) and (-) and it is wired directly to the mirrors, there is no electronic control. This is very simple to wire, power and ground to the switch, two wires to the mirrors and you can fold/unfold with a button press.

There are many aftermarket modules for sale on the JDM market that "automate" the mirror folding, a little box you put in between the switch and the mirrors and tap some other wires, it watches the lock signals to the door and folds and unfolds the mirrors.

The LS430 (and other high end/newer cars) have this automatic folding built in. The switch doesn't fold the mirrors it ground inputs to the body computer to tell it what position it is in (fold/auto/unfold) and the computer operates the mirrors accordingly.

What I did was use the LS430 switch, one of the auto fold modules, and some relays to approximate what the LS430 does. I use the LS430 switch to ground relays to reverse voltage to the auto fold module, it thinks there is a typical fold switch there. The "open" position disables the lock signal so the mirrors won't fold for winter time. Very over complicated but I had the module and the switch and wanted to do something fancy! I can share my wiring diagram for that if you really want haha.

Just wiring up the folding mirrors, any simple switch could be used, that can output (+) and (-) and swap the polarity when you operate the switch.
Old 07-30-13, 05:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Gotcha, that makes perfect sense. Maybe one day I'll take up this project, but for now I'm just gonna admire yours
Old 05-09-16, 07:19 PM
static1646
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I just saw your videos on the mods you did to your lexus es300. I know its been a few years, but could you explain how you connected your mirrors and windows to the locks? Maybe, if possible, make another video on how to connect it all? Or explain how to connect everything with the stock windom switch? Either way, I would really appreciate your help. I'm a huge es300/windom fan and I really admire what you did with your car

Last edited by static1646; 05-09-16 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 09:02 AM
mugencivic
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how did you take the glass off/put on?
Old 05-23-16, 06:49 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by static1646
Hi. I just saw your videos on the mods you did to your lexus es300. I know its been a few years, but could you explain how you connected your mirrors and windows to the locks? Maybe, if possible, make another video on how to connect it all? Or explain how to connect everything with the stock windom switch? Either way, I would really appreciate your help. I'm a huge es300/windom fan and I really admire what you did with your car
I'll be honest, I don't have time to do any more details on this. I would definitely help if you have any questions. I could post maybe a better picture of the circuit diagram. The thing is that everything is so specific to what I did, with the switch, relays, plugs etc. you probably are better off just figuring out what works for you, or doing it in a simpler way. Using the LS430 switch made this about 5 times as complicated.

I'll give you a couple tips:

The way the mirrors work is super simple. 2 wires to each mirror, 12v (+)/(-) they fold out, swap the (+) and (-) and they fold in, that's all there is to it. The simplest circuit and switch can run the mirrors. That is how the stock Windom switch works.

The stock Windom fold Switch doesn't work in LHD ES, look at a picture of the dash to see why, the ignition key cylinder is on the right with the mirror and trunk/gas switches in a Windom. So you have to do something custom. I did the LS430 switch, but again that switch is complicated as the LS430 has computer controlled mirrors so I had to come up with relays to translate ground inputs into power and ground outputs.

Fold with lock is pretty easy once you understand/install the mirrors - I would recommend getting the mirrors installed and working with a simple switch first. Then buy a Japanese module (I can help you find one) they are all over the market there and cheap as many people want to upgrade their cheap car to have the mirrors fold with locking the car. You can find on US EBay sometimes too. Just a simple module that installs between the switch and mirrors and takes the lock/unlock inputs and folds and unfolds the mirrors.

Originally Posted by mugencivic
how did you take the glass off/put on?
It is in the service manual. You push the top of the mirror in as far as you can. then use a screwdriver to release the clips in the bottom. Then tilt the glass up and pull out. Then disconnect the wires for heat/dim. Take a look at the pic, from a Subaru but the Lexus is the same concept.

Quick Reply: JDM Power Folding Mirrors - A wiring odyssey