ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Costco tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 09:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
Thats how it is when you disagree with "conventional wisdom" like I said this is a liability concern not great advice. I do agree it is probably a good corporate policy but not what I would do. I personally have never met a driving instructor that has told me to do such
I've never met a driving instructor that has not...

Just cuz I drive an old Lexus I must be wet behind the ears young'n huh ;-)
Not at all, I don't even know what kind of Lexus you have...

To learn recovery techniques to where it is a reflex takes a loooong time. Just knowing what to do is useless.
I disagree, but that's not the purpose of the thread.

Larger tread blocks with better support (i.e shorter depth) have better traction on smooth dry pavement. Go look at a performance tire compared to an all season. Ask the stock class auto-x'ers at the national level who shave DOT tires down for competition. Look at every Car and Driver (etc) long term test, they almost always get better skidpad results out of a worn set of stock tires than they do when the car is new. This is basic proven stuff, you can't just declare it not true and make it so ;-)
Then why don't we all just drive around on worn out tires? There's a difference between a tire that is worn in, and a tire that is worn out.

Not you or anyone has answered the tire rotation question.
I would not rotate tires in this situation, no.

I think the simple truth here, is that more sources than not recommend installing new tires on the rear. In fact...i have never seen a source that does not. It's not as simple as just saying those sources are tire installers or manufacturers concerned about liability, because that's not the case. The physical reasons for doing this make sense, so when it comes to my and my family's safety, I'm going to go with the preponderance of the evidence every time. At the end of the day the question is there, what is the benefit to going against this wisdom and putting them on the front?

So...my recommendation would remain, buy 4 tires unless you absolutely cannot, and if you have to buy two...mount them to the rear.
Old 12-26-12, 10:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Look at this way. Most people who buy two tires, do not rotate their tires. If they put the new ones in the front, the rear ones will get even older and more dangerous to drive on (dry rot). So mounting them in the rear will at least keep the rubber fresh.
Old 12-27-12, 08:46 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I've never met a driving instructor that has not...
What driving instructors, what clubs, what venues? I am curious, I've been to a lot of tracks and schools and the instructors don't check my tires. The techs in the tech line do and they don't compare tread depths.

OK keeping it on topic here:
Originally Posted by SW10ES
I think the simple truth here, is that more sources than not recommend installing new tires on the rear. In fact...i have never seen a source that does not. It's not as simple as just saying those sources are tire installers or manufacturers concerned about liability, because that's not the case. The physical reasons for doing this make sense, so when it comes to my and my family's safety, I'm going to go with the preponderance of the evidence every time. At the end of the day the question is there, what is the benefit to going against this wisdom and putting them on the front?

So...my recommendation would remain, buy 4 tires unless you absolutely cannot, and if you have to buy two...mount them to the rear.
Why is the number of sources a preponderance of evidence? My point about liability is that it drives all the sources, i.e. tire shops to do the same thing. I provided a solid reason why they all say the same thing, so as far as what you are calling a "preponderance" I say it is just one side of the story. I also pointed out those same shops will recommend and install 2 new tires of different model on your car. That is bad advice coming from the same "preponderance". Usually the makers and installers of a product are to be trusted, but I think in this case they are wrong.

The reason to put the taller tread depth tires on the front, is to have greater hydroplane resistance overall. As well as having longer life out of all 4 tires because the fronts will wear faster. If the tread depth difference is too great, you need to buy 4 tires. So there should never be a case where you need to put worn tires on the front because you should not be running such a tread discrepancy. Since you are bringing the old "safety of my family in it" I guess I'll need you to stay in the right lane in the rain with your bald front tires, So I can get by you in my safe car with 4 proper treaded tires. When it comes to MY family I will trust reasonable knowledge over blindly following some industry policy every time.

You've inspired me, I am going to write to TireRack, see what they say about this, I think their little video test is flawed (i.e. those worn tires were not safe to begin with). I'll report back if I hear anything!
Old 12-28-12, 02:03 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Problem solved, just dropped another 2 brand new tires, so i got the whole set now, Thank you all for the info, helped a lot!