ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I'm gonna miss this forum :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 10:53 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
A 335i at 18 is a bit scary, but considering that you're paying for it, I'm gonna guess that you're a responsible guy. Drive safe!
Any car in the hands of any 18 year old is scary, depends on the kid haha
Old 12-07-12, 01:22 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
A 335i at 18 is a bit scary, but considering that you're paying for it, I'm gonna guess that you're a responsible guy. Drive safe!
Huh when you put it that way...I had my Grand National at 19. It was running 13's oh about a week after I got it. I paid for it myself but not 335i money...

Can't say it was the smartest thing though nobody got hurt, if you lived in MA years ago you will understand the meaning of "Step 26" heh.
Old 12-09-12, 06:42 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Any car in the hands of any 18 year old is scary, depends on the kid haha
Yeah, I'm responsible enough to be able to afford it, but not responsible enough to drive it safely. I foresee numerous speeding tickets.
Old 12-09-12, 08:02 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaOnion
Yeah, I'm responsible enough to be able to afford it, but not responsible enough to drive it safely. I foresee numerous speeding tickets.
I'm almost the same way, but I'm 22. I noticed that the comfy nature of the ES is keeping me in check, but whenever I get a chance to drive a more capable car, my reckless side comes out.
Old 12-10-12, 08:33 AM
chococat
Driver School Candidate

I am happy for your income increase, and I don't know you, but as an "adult"...and I know I cannot change your mind, but in hindsight, I wish I had taken some of the pockets of money I had in my lifetime and put it into land or a house. As the economy shifts up & down, unless you plan on living in your car....

Want to laugh? I live in a house that cost me $6000. I own it outright. I own my car outright...no payments. I work only 20 hours a week to support my 17 y/o daughter and I. I volunteer 70+ hours a month in other things.

My 17 y/o daughter owns her car outright. No payments. What is she saving for next? A house. What kind of house, probably a little shed type building w/a loft. She will own it outright. Then save for land...and own it outright. She will probably have all this by the time she is 22. And then she wont EVER have to slave in a job she hates. She will have more free time to do what she wants. These are the lessons I have given to her and THANKFULLY she has listened.

When we are young, we are so materialistic. We base our worth on what vroom vroom we drive. (not saying this you) But if you will take my "old-person" advise...it is all vanity & worthless when you are 30 or 40. And often times very VERY empty.

LOL. How is that for reply? Again...kudos for the job & the work ethic.
Old 12-17-12, 08:58 AM
smee
Driver

Originally Posted by chococat
I am happy for your income increase, and I don't know you, but as an "adult"...and I know I cannot change your mind, but in hindsight, I wish I had taken some of the pockets of money I had in my lifetime and put it into land or a house. As the economy shifts up & down, unless you plan on living in your car....

Want to laugh? I live in a house that cost me $6000. I own it outright. I own my car outright...no payments. I work only 20 hours a week to support my 17 y/o daughter and I. I volunteer 70+ hours a month in other things.

My 17 y/o daughter owns her car outright. No payments. What is she saving for next? A house. What kind of house, probably a little shed type building w/a loft. She will own it outright. Then save for land...and own it outright. She will probably have all this by the time she is 22. And then she wont EVER have to slave in a job she hates. She will have more free time to do what she wants. These are the lessons I have given to her and THANKFULLY she has listened.

When we are young, we are so materialistic. We base our worth on what vroom vroom we drive. (not saying this you) But if you will take my "old-person" advise...it is all vanity & worthless when you are 30 or 40. And often times very VERY empty.

Originally Posted by chococat

^^ High five to this guy.
@AlphaOnion, you should really think about your decision before you jump the gun. Think about a savings account, think about how many years you'll be making payments, think about the possibility of losing your job if the economy takes another *****...

Recently I also scored a sweet job too, I work 40-46 hours a week at $22 an hour doing I.T. Logistics. But I'm not spending money. I'm enjoying living at home (also helping my parents out with some rent) and putting the rest into savings. In a matter of a few months I'll have $10k in my savings and able to do pretty much anything, I could move out, I could invest money, I could keep saving, I could buy a newer car... the possibilities are endless.

I own my '95 ES300 outright and don't ever plan to get rid of it. Some day I want to own a Honda S2000, but I will pay it in full and never have to worry about making a payment. I also own a second ES300, 1992 in Green, and I've fixed it up and am going to sell it for profit.

As a fellow "youngling" in life (I'm 20 in March 2013), save your money bro, don't tie yourself down to car payments. You'll be kicking yourself in a few years. Trust me.

~Smee
Old 12-17-12, 04:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^I'm sure he figured it out. I'm 19 and just spent $10k on a new car . Was it the smartest decision? no but i figure it will last me a long time and I'm getting a modest return monthly on some money i have invested so i fugred it works while im at school full time. Enjoy the car
Old 12-17-12, 05:14 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

^I'm sure he figured it out. I'm 19 and just spent $10k on a new car . Was it the smartest decision? no but i figure it will last me a long time and I'm getting a modest return monthly on some money i have invested so i fugred it works while im at school full time. Enjoy the car
What car did you buy? I know you've been itching to get into another car for awhile now.
Old 12-17-12, 05:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Bought a 2002 Lexus gs300 Sport design silver on black with 62K miles. I do plan on keeping the ES300 though, i love the car.
Attached Thumbnails I'm gonna miss this forum :(-sport-design-14.jpg  
Old 12-17-12, 05:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry the picture is gigantic
Old 12-17-12, 05:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Bought a 2002 Lexus gs300 Sport design silver on black with 62K miles. I do plan on keeping the ES300 though, i love the car.
Nice!! Low miles too!
Old 12-18-12, 12:48 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

A lot of great advice in this thread. I am also of the "no payment" mentality - it's an awesome feeling.
Old 12-25-12, 07:10 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

I like not having payments on my current car. But I did the math, and I would only be paying about $250 per month. Considering that I make about that much in one week, I don't think it will be that much of a problem. The only hard part is the initial saving-up period in order to make the down payment.
Old 12-25-12, 07:26 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A payment of 1/4 monthly income is a lot! 335i on 12k a year...
Old 12-25-12, 10:17 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

The advice above, is great. Save, DON'T BE A MATERIALIST.

Keep the ES, you're spending 250$/month in gas & assuming insurance.

Now add, premium fuel [a lot more of it], the insurance increase, then maintenance.

Not to be a ****, but i clear 3.5-4k/ish a month, living at home and paying a rental property mortgage of 1200$/month. I'm having a hard time justifying a new-ish-er GS/ES/LS and make the 500$/month payments, but i rather bank the cash for a down payment on a newer home than a car [different debate; USA = cheap, Homes & Gas prices are LOL compared to Canada], especially since I only pour about 1k in misc. repairs into the ES once a year... *which has been the trend over the last few years i've noticed*

Living @ home with a nicer new'er' car screams hood rich.
Living within your means and a responsible wallet = lifelong strategy.

Originally Posted by Power6
A payment of 1/4 monthly income is a lot! 335i on 12k a year...
Seriously...

Last edited by 01LEXPL; 12-25-12 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm gonna miss this forum :(