ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1992 ES300 Repair History

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 10:10 AM
STAGED
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 ES300 Repair History

Hey check out the repair history on my mom's '92 ES300 and see if any of you have the same issues. The car is overall preserving its newness tremendously. The list may look long but it's over 102k mi / 10 years.

0-50,000 miles
1) Transmission valve body repair (part of Lexus TSB): This fixed the torque convertor disengaging problem that caused stalls after long highway drives when coming to a rest. Repair wasn't too successful as the trans slipped after valvebody repair despite frequent adjustment of the kickdown cable.
2) Dunlop D180 tire wear: No surprise with a 180 treadwear tire. Got a letter from Lexus surveying the tire wear issue. Wore out in 24k miles even with proper rotation/alignment.
3) Squeaky suspension bushings. Unable to repair...living with it.
4) Snapping sound from rear windows when lowered. Regulators replaced but to no avail., it still makes the same sound
5) Fog light burned out quickly on driver's side early on in the car's life
6) Air conditioning expansion valve replacement under Lexus service campaign. Noticed slow leakage (all A/Cs leak slowly) of refrigerant and requires a recharge every 3 years.
7) Cigarette lighter socket ripped off when unplugging radar detector plug the where the same radar detector in our other cars didn't do that.

50,000-100,000 miles
1) Transmission replacement, despite timely fluid changes and adjustments: related to valvebody repair. The thing shifts incredibly well, have confidence in longevity this time around. Noticed trans fluid seepage around the pan at the flanged/gasket location on old trans
2) Valve cover gasket repair: one could smell oil not long after a cold start.
3) Oil pan gasket (actually RTV) repair: this was done just to keep things perfect as the bottom of the pan was always wet.
4) CV boot replacement: cracked, I saw it.
5) Dashboard backlighting: on the tach a few bulbs were replaced

100,000-102,000 miles
1) alternator replacement: noticed slow wiper operation for quite some time and finally it happened

Forecast: I think the A/C compressor is making a bit more noise (throbbing noise when A/C switches on and revving the engine). Maybe 3 years from now...

Some notable praise: The struts are still original and functioning superbly. The radiator is original. The exhaust system is still mint. Car drives really nice thanks to new belts change (no swishy noises) and very smooth thanks to OEM wires/distributor and Denso Iridium plugs. Cloth seats look like they were never sat on...never saw cloth seats wear so well. Body is still tight (our '96 Bonneville w/130k mi feels like a loose bucket of bolts by comparison). Black paint is holding up well too (loves Formula 113 the most).

Last edited by STAGED; 11-19-02 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-19-02, 11:51 AM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Man, that's terrible!

Might as well buy a Chevy or Buick. I'd like to see more info like this.

I like my ES, but it has problems that one would not expect in a car with only 70,000 miles.

Lexus has such a great reputation for very high quality, but I wonder if that's just a perception thing...a successful PR job, like Harley Davidson has going.
Old 11-19-02, 04:54 PM
jcboiz
Rookie

Unhappy Question about the repair.....

Hello,
That info was great. Thank you very much. My question is about this, "Transmission valve body repair (part of Lexus TSB): This fixed the torque convertor disengaging problem that caused stalls after long highway drives when coming to a rest. Repair wasn't too successful as the trans slipped after valvebody repair despite frequent adjustment of the kickdown cable. "
I am wondering how much this cost? Cause I believe I am having the same problem right now. I'm trying to hopefully drive it for another 2 years, then get another car. Or else its back to the planning boards as far as financial planning.
Old 11-20-02, 07:55 AM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Man, that's terrible!

Originally posted by DesertRat
Might as well buy a Chevy or Buick. I'd like to see more info like this.

I like my ES, but it has problems that one would not expect in a car with only 70,000 miles.

Lexus has such a great reputation for very high quality, but I wonder if that's just a perception thing...a successful PR job, like Harley Davidson has going.
Considering all those problems occured over a 106K milage span, I'd say the ES reliability has been very good, with the exception of the tranny problems with this car. I've never heard of similar tranny problems with any other ES, so I guess this can be classified as a fluke occurence.

Lexus got the reputation it has right now because it truly is the most reliable car out there. No amount of media and PR work can make a car dominate the JD Power Quality surveys, or top other established organizations' reliability surveys.

Honestly, you can't expect ANY car to be trouble-free. Also, if you bought used, then the maintenance by the previous owners contributes a lot. With that said, Lexus is still number 1 in reliability. Its funny to see Lexus owners, of all people, complaining about reliability. You all should see the torture that BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche owners have to put up with .
Old 11-20-02, 12:30 PM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1992 ES300 Repair History

Originally posted by STAGED

0-50,000 miles
1) Transmission valve body repair (part of Lexus TSB): This fixed the torque convertor disengaging problem that caused stalls after long highway drives when coming to a rest. Repair wasn't too successful as the trans slipped after valvebody repair despite frequent adjustment of the kickdown cable.

4) Snapping sound from rear windows when lowered. Regulators replaced but to no avail., it still makes the same sound

50,000-100,000 miles
1) Transmission replacement, despite timely fluid changes and adjustments: related to valvebody repair. The thing shifts incredibly well, have confidence in longevity this time around. Noticed trans fluid seepage around the pan at the flanged/gasket location on old trans
3) Oil pan gasket (actually RTV) repair: this was done just to keep things perfect as the bottom of the pan was always wet.

100,000-102,000 miles
1) alternator replacement: noticed slow wiper operation for quite some time and finally it happened

Forecast: I think the A/C compressor is making a bit more noise (throbbing noise when A/C switches on and revving the engine). Maybe 3 years from now...

Some notable praise: The struts are still original and functioning superbly. The radiator is original. The exhaust system is still mint. Car drives really nice thanks to new belts change (no swishy noises) and very smooth thanks to OEM wires/distributor and Denso Iridium plugs. Cloth seats look like they were never sat on...never saw cloth seats wear so well. Body is still tight (our '96 Bonneville w/130k mi feels like a loose bucket of bolts by comparison). Black paint is holding up well too (loves Formula 113 the most). [/B]
I dunno, Nabeel...Lexus owners keep reporting problems...people keep telling us our cars are extremely reliable...we have problems...people say our cars are extremely reliable...we have problems...we keep hearing how great the cars are...

I think it's an "Emperor's New Clothes" kinda thing. The cars are okay, but all cars are a lot better than they used to be. I talk to lots of people who have cars with over 100k miles who have not had any major problems. I'm not a starry-eyed idealist, I'm basing my expectations on my experiences and observations.

Look at the above quote, for example. Squeaky suspension and power windows that "can't be fixed"; transmission replacement; alternator replacement??

Maybe people are just determined to be extremely satisfied with these cars that they paid so much for.

I love my used '96 ES300. It's a pretty wonderful car for less than $15,000 bucks. On the other hand, looking at the repair history of the car (the dealer shared the history info with me), I would have been pretty damn pissed if I had bought it new for $31,000+.
Old 11-20-02, 01:16 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I will admit that the BMWs owned in my family have actually been slightly more reliable on a per-problem basis than the ES300. BUT.....if you look at maintenance costs over time, Lexus has been by far the cheapest. And when something does go wrong in the Lexus, its not really anything major. Nothing like having the fuel pump fail in a busy intersection (BMW); radiator hose explode, causing car to overheat in busy traffic (BMW); transmission explode- yes, explode-(old Audi), etc.

On one of our BMWs, we were actually forced to get rid of the car before it hit 100K miles, because there was risk that the engine would fail- a problem that affected many V8 Bimmers from '93-'95. The reason was that US gasoline was eating away at the engine from within- the sulfur content was too high. I'd never expect to see such a glaring oversight in the design of any Lexus.

Keep in mind also, that hardly anyone posts anything when their cars are NOT giving any trouble. If people have problems, then they post and ask for advice. Look through the board. Count how many 'problem' posts there are, compared with how many 'I'm satisfied' posts.

I believe that people are simply being unrealistic when asking perfect reliability from their car. Honestly, unless people actually have long-term experience with similar cars, they probably won't appreciate Lexus reliability. Cars break down. Some more than others.

Last edited by Nabeel; 11-20-02 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-20-02, 01:17 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

double post

Last edited by Nabeel; 11-20-02 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-20-02, 09:47 PM
jewelerz
Rookie

Yeah... well my engine blew (head gasket)!!!!!!!! 93 w/140,000 miles?!?!? Go figure that!!!
Old 03-28-17, 11:52 AM
hobog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STAGED
Hey check out the repair history on my mom's '92 ES300 and see if any of you have the same issues. The car is overall preserving its newness tremendously. The list may look long but it's over 102k mi / 10 years.

0-50,000 miles
2) Dunlop D180 tire wear: No surprise with a 180 treadwear tire. Got a letter from Lexus surveying the tire wear issue. Wore out in 24k miles even with proper rotation/alignment.
6) Air conditioning expansion valve replacement under Lexus service campaign. Noticed slow leakage (all A/Cs leak slowly) of refrigerant and requires a recharge every 3 years.
7) Cigarette lighter socket ripped off when unplugging radar detector plug the where the same radar detector in our other cars didn't do that.

50,000-100,000 miles
4) CV boot replacement: cracked, I saw it.

100,000-102,000 miles

Some notable praise: The struts are still original and functioning superbly. The radiator is original. The exhaust system is still mint. Car drives really nice thanks to new belts change (no swishy noises) and very smooth thanks to OEM wires/distributor and Denso Iridium plugs. Cloth seats look like they were never sat on...never saw cloth seats wear so well. Body is still tight (our '96 Bonneville w/130k mi feels like a loose bucket of bolts by comparison). Black paint is holding up well too (loves Formula 113 the most).
Great car actually. I have my mom's 92 red es300 with 102k miles. She babied it until she passed away and then my son took it over. It lived outside for the last 10 years and yet the red pigments never faded. I've replaced the struts and coils but nothing else other than routine stuff. Only annoyance is the right rear window has a metal on glass knock when going over bumps which goes away when you crack the window open. Engine is strong and body style is classic. I'm keeping it up because I know my mom would have.
Old 03-29-17, 10:56 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

holy old thread revival batman
Old 03-29-17, 11:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
holy old thread revival batman
We tell people to search before posting, so they search and dig up a 15 year old thread.