ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 ES300 AC and remote trunk opening issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 05:55 AM
total1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ES300 AC and remote trunk opening issues

97 ES300 135K miles
While driving through Nashville at 109F and Atlanta at 108F this summer our AC failed! My wife and daughter on board with 2 small dogs!
Found out that the AC expansion valve (?... in dash component of the AC system) had failed. Replaced this and AC was fine. Since the replacement we've noticed a couple of things:
1) AC works fine but the compressor now has a 'startup' noise that's generally goes nearly silent after the AC has been on a short moment. We've been told that this is the compressor going bad after the expansion valve replacement in the dash. THOUGHTS and SOLUTION?
2) The trunk lid remote opening worked shortly after the expansion valve replacement but now it doesn't. We have to use our keys rather than the remote key unit. I can hear a click but nothing opens the trunk. I've check the glove box and the switch is fine. THOUGHTS and SOLUTION?
Just looking for suggestions on what to do next in EACH issue...
Thanks!
Old 08-16-12, 10:37 PM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by total1
97 ES300 135K miles
While driving through Nashville at 109F and Atlanta at 108F this summer our AC failed! My wife and daughter on board with 2 small dogs!
Found out that the AC expansion valve (?... in dash component of the AC system) had failed. Replaced this and AC was fine. Since the replacement we've noticed a couple of things:
1) AC works fine but the compressor now has a 'startup' noise that's generally goes nearly silent after the AC has been on a short moment. We've been told that this is the compressor going bad after the expansion valve replacement in the dash. THOUGHTS and SOLUTION?
2) The trunk lid remote opening worked shortly after the expansion valve replacement but now it doesn't. We have to use our keys rather than the remote key unit. I can hear a click but nothing opens the trunk. I've check the glove box and the switch is fine. THOUGHTS and SOLUTION?
Thanks!
Just curious, how much did it cost to have the expansion valve replaced? My car has the same problem. Thanks!
Old 08-17-12, 09:20 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd check wiring going to the remote trunk opener (in glove box) also check fuses.
When you replaced expansion valve did you vacuum system like youre supposed to?
Old 08-17-12, 10:24 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The specified amount of gas in the ES300 A/C system is 800 ± 50 g (28.22 ± 1.76 oz.) If the shop recharged yours (after properly vacuumed) with too much gas then a start up noise (not loud, but clearly noticeable) in the compressor is likely to occur. As for the trunk opener, check wiring as mitmaks suggested above. They probably made some mistake while removing the glove box to get to the evaporator. .
Old 08-20-12, 12:47 PM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by total1
97 ES300 135K miles
Thanks!
A few months ago I had the same problem with the trunk release on our '97 ES. You could hear the trunk latch mechanism trying to operate but the trunk wouldn't open. When I disassembled the latch it appeared that the motor was weak and didn't have enough power to operate the mechanism anymore. Lubricating the assembly didn't solve the problem. I found a used latch assembly on Ebay and installed it, and the trunk opens perfectly every time now.
Old 08-21-12, 08:16 PM
total1
Driver School Candidate

Default AC and remote trunk...

1) AC -
A) Cost was approximately $500+/- no more than $600. I think just under $500...
B) Relative to removing all the existing AC... I'd presume it was done as the tech guy was very AC knowledgeable.
C) Relative to the pressure, I'm not sure. The noise is at startup and low speeds. Can't tell at higher speeds due to road noise but the AC works.

2) Remote latch issue -
A) Fuse? which one?
B) Dash removal - I'm not knowledgeable enough to remove the dash unless it's an easy task.
C) The glove box button... it's fine.. checked there.
D) Wiring? Not too sure what to do here or what to check? How do I know it's the trunk wire(s)?

To all... sorry for the late response as I was taking one of my kids to college and recently got back!
Thanks to EACH!!!