ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 ES300 Trans Drain/Fill Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 09:36 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 2003 ES300 Trans Drain/Fill Capacity

Hi folks! I'm usually over on the RX forum but I am helping out a friend.

How much Type IV do I need for a simple drain/fill? Thanks.
Old 07-25-12, 12:37 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

3.3 quarts for drain and fill
Old 07-25-12, 01:58 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Thank-you!
Old 08-02-12, 01:24 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Two more questions, please:

1. Does the transaxle have a separate drain plug? I know my 99 Avalon does.

2. Do you have to remove the engine undershield (aka splashshield) to access the drain plugs?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-12, 01:40 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc

2. Do you have to remove the engine undershield (aka splashshield) to access the drain plugs?

Thanks.
What do you mean by the transaxle? Are you referring to the differential?

Not sure about the splashshield, there is another member on here who just recently did a drain and fill on a 4ES. Just so you know, he was able to remove 4 quarts and refilled with 3.5
Old 08-02-12, 02:15 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrBooby
What do you mean by the transaxle? Are you referring to the differential?

Not sure about the splashshield, there is another member on here who just recently did a drain and fill on a 4ES. Just so you know, he was able to remove 4 quarts and refilled with 3.5
Some folks call it a differential-the nomenclature is confusing, at least to me.

Edit: Yes, I definitely meant differential.

Last edited by artbuc; 08-02-12 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 06:20 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Some folks call it a differential-the nomenclature is confusing, at least to me.

Edit: Yes, I definitely meant differential.
Transmission = Transmission
Differential = Differential
Transaxle = Transmission and Differential in same case sharing same fluid
Old 08-02-12, 07:54 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Power6
Transmission = Transmission
Differential = Differential
Transaxle = Transmission and Differential in same case sharing same fluid
Right. Do you know the answers to my questions? Thanks.
Old 08-02-12, 10:34 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Right. Do you know the answers to my questions? Thanks.
Sorry you said you were confused by the terminology so I took you didn't know what a transaxle is.
Instead of replying to me maybe you could go look for the answers and share with the rest? OK let me do that for you.

5 min over at ToyotaNation looks like the newer Camrys with 5-spd auto all have one drain plug and shared fluid. 99-01 ES300 have transaxle with one drain plug. As you know the ES is just a fancy Camry so pretty safe bet the later ES300 with 5-spd has shared fluid and one plug too.

Your 99 Avalon actually had a transaxle with shared fluid, some of them had two drain plugs some not. The earlier years and many 4 cyl Camry had seperate transmission and differential fluids. Amazing what you can learn in a few minutes...
Old 08-02-12, 11:15 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Sorry you said you were confused by the terminology so I took you didn't know what a transaxle is.
Instead of replying to me maybe you could go look for the answers and share with the rest? OK let me do that for you.

5 min over at ToyotaNation looks like the newer Camrys with 5-spd auto all have one drain plug and shared fluid. 99-01 ES300 have transaxle with one drain plug. As you know the ES is just a fancy Camry so pretty safe bet the later ES300 with 5-spd has shared fluid and one plug too.

Your 99 Avalon actually had a transaxle with shared fluid, some of them had two drain plugs some not. The earlier years and many 4 cyl Camry had seperate transmission and differential fluids. Amazing what you can learn in a few minutes...
Thanks, I guess...

I am active on several forums and I often notice people who ask a question that has been asked many times, eg what causes P0171? I wonder why they just don't search. However, instead of being a smart-a$$ , I either don't respond if I don't know the answer or do respond if I do know the answer and have the time.

I didn't ask you search out any info for me nor did I expect you to. I was simply hoping someone knew the answer because they had done a d/f on a 2003 ES and could answer my questions in about 2 seconds.

Last edited by artbuc; 08-02-12 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 12:14 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks.
My 98 ES also has a separate drain plug for the differential and it's easily accessible once the car is on a lift. If your 03 has one it will look similar to this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...g-picture.html

Also, both trans and diff are filled through the trans dipstick tube.
Old 08-02-12, 12:38 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeLex
My 98 ES also has a separate drain plug for the differential and it's easily accessible once the car is on a lift. If your 03 has one it will look similar to this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...g-picture.html

Also, both trans and diff are filled through the trans dipstick tube.
Thanks. Your ES and my 99 Avy probably have the same transaxle. From my research some of the late 90's vintage Camrys also had differential fill plugs although it was much easier to fill through the dipstick. My 99 RX300 AWD also had a separate differential drain plug. I always thought the ATF from the differential was dirtier although it could have been my imagination. I think it is highly desirable to drain the differential if you can. I don't think there is a clear-cut transition on the differential drain plug. I bet some 2003 ES might have one and some may not. I'll find out tomorrow. For my Avy and RX, I had to grind down a 10 mm hex to fit it between the drain plug and frame.
Old 08-02-12, 03:03 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Thanks, I guess...

I am active on several forums and I often notice people who ask a question that has been asked many times, eg what causes P0171? I wonder why they just don't search. However, instead of being a smart-a$$ , I either don't respond if I don't know the answer or do respond if I do know the answer and have the time.

I didn't ask you search out any info for me nor did I expect you to. I was simply hoping someone knew the answer because they had done a d/f on a 2003 ES and could answer my questions in about 2 seconds.
Sure, I was just helping to clarify some terminology, not adding any smart-a$$ comments, in fact it was you who started with the "do you know the answers to my question?" snark...so if you didn't get your answers in 2 seconds why didn't you search? Why did you say "the terminology is confusing" only to then imply you know all about what transaxle is and you don't need my help. Oh well questions for the ages I guess, I'll just make sure to steer clear of helping you out in the future it is quite a thankless job!

I know we are way off topic now into message board social dynamics, but I think we got it sorted the newer cars only seem to have the single drain plug and shared oil for sure, i.e. a transaxle...
Old 08-02-12, 03:16 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks. Your ES and my 99 Avy probably have the same transaxle. From my research some of the late 90's vintage Camrys also had differential fill plugs although it was much easier to fill through the dipstick. My 99 RX300 AWD also had a separate differential drain plug. I always thought the ATF from the differential was dirtier although it could have been my imagination. I think it is highly desirable to drain the differential if you can. I don't think there is a clear-cut transition on the differential drain plug. I bet some 2003 ES might have one and some may not. I'll find out tomorrow. For my Avy and RX, I had to grind down a 10 mm hex to fit it between the drain plug and frame.
I'll take a look at my 2002 ES, and let you know if there is a separate drain plug for the differential like there is on our RX'es.
Old 08-02-12, 04:44 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Sure, I was just helping to clarify some terminology, not adding any smart-a$$ comments, in fact it was you who started with the "do you know the answers to my question?" snark...so if you didn't get your answers in 2 seconds why didn't you search? Why did you say "the terminology is confusing" only to then imply you know all about what transaxle is and you don't need my help. Oh well questions for the ages I guess, I'll just make sure to steer clear of helping you out in the future it is quite a thankless job!

I know we are way off topic now into message board social dynamics, but I think we got it sorted the newer cars only seem to have the single drain plug and shared oil for sure, i.e. a transaxle...
I said the terminology was confusing because it is. Quite often people incorrectly call transfer cases differentials and transmissions trans axles , etc, etc. Sorry if I offended you...guess I took your comments the wrong way.

Quick Reply: 2003 ES300 Trans Drain/Fill Capacity