ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Audio Help! Put the subs in and worked fine for 5 day and now they don't work??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 08:12 AM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Okay, first of all... what's the brand of sub/tweeter that you have? Is it one of those all in one things that they sell at places like Walmart or even Best buy or did you get a box and add the parts in? Does it have an amp on it or did it have no power except from the car amp? FWIW, I would never let best buy hack into the electrical system in my car....
subs http://www.thedeepdiscount.com/p-246...enclosure.aspx

amp http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...dio-M589I.html

speaker wire http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers

Amp installation kit Audiopipe 300 watt amplifier installation kit
-18ft 2rca plugs to 2rca plugs
-20ft 10 awg red primary wire
-4ft 10 awg black primary wire
-16ft 18 awg on/off remote wire
-30 amp atc fuse
-10 awg fuse holder
-gold ring terminal red color
-gold ring terminal black color
-gold plated spade terminal black color
-gold plated spade terminal red color
-butt splices 2 pc
-cable ties
-3ft split loom tubing

-bunch of 30a and 20a fuses
Old 08-04-12, 08:50 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you run the stock sub wires into the hi level input on your amp? If so you likely burned up the amp inputs. Not designed for that much power, stock amp is around 60-80 watts while the hi level inputs are designed for around 5-15 watts. I think the amp might still work okay with the low level inputs but that's a pain with the stock head unit. Otherwise you'll have to replace the amp and this time tap off the rear speaker wires to feed the hi level inputs.
Old 08-04-12, 10:00 AM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Did you run the stock sub wires into the hi level input on your amp? If so you likely burned up the amp inputs. Not designed for that much power, stock amp is around 60-80 watts while the hi level inputs are designed for around 5-15 watts. I think the amp might still work okay with the low level inputs but that's a pain with the stock head unit. Otherwise you'll have to replace the amp and this time tap off the rear speaker wires to feed the hi level inputs.
All I did is cut off the connection to the blown back deck subwoofer.. This cars a 1997 and all the cones of the speakers are disintegrating. So all I want the sound to come out is the full range unit I have in the trunk ( the 2 12s and tweeters ) I'm thinking about disconnecting all the other speakers because there no need for them ( their so old ) I dident do anything except add the unit to the speaker wire that was from the stock back sub.
Old 08-04-12, 10:52 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Okay let's try it this way what is feeding the signal to your sub box amp?
Old 08-04-12, 11:11 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It sounds like you used the stock subwoofer output to feed the high-level inputs on the amp. This is OK it should work but you have some problems here I'll get to those in a minute.

The stock amp does not put out 60 watts to the sub LOL that would be a peak rating it is not a very big amp if you have taken the amp out like I have you would know. Maybe 20 watts RMS to the sub on a good day ha, At any rate the high level inputs of another amp should be fine with that.

So the problems here:

- The sub output is crossed over, it only puts out low bass signal to the stock sub, so if you take that output to your amp, you are not getting any use out of those tweeters in that box.

- The sub output is mono, which is fine for the sub speakers you added but again even if you did have full range sound to use the tweeters it is mono so you have no stereo.

-That amp likely has a "Left" and "Right" input but you only have the one set of wires from the stock sub what did you do about that? Did the amp have a mono input setting, did you split the wires? Depending on how you did this it could be a problem.

Now those are just the technical problems, those tweeters that you aren't using are pretty useless in the trunk, high frequencies don't travel like the bass does, so you should just give up on the full range signal and use this thing as a sub box, any sound coming from *behind* you from those tweeters will sound like crap anyways...unless you go to concerts and face away from the band...in which case it would sound awesome ha

IMO this is a waste, just stuffing some huge cheap subs in the trunk with the stock stereo might seem cool but a good stereo system is not made this way. I suppose if you just want some thumping and you don't really care otherwise it should be fine.
Old 08-04-12, 02:14 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Okay let's try it this way what is feeding the signal to your sub box amp?
The stock amp and radio
Old 08-04-12, 02:20 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Originally Posted by Power6
It sounds like you used the stock subwoofer output to feed the high-level inputs on the amp. This is OK it should work but you have some problems here I'll get to those in a minute.

The stock amp does not put out 60 watts to the sub LOL that would be a peak rating it is not a very big amp if you have taken the amp out like I have you would know. Maybe 20 watts RMS to the sub on a good day ha, At any rate the high level inputs of another amp should be fine with that.

So the problems here:

- The sub output is crossed over, it only puts out low bass signal to the stock sub, so if you take that output to your amp, you are not getting any use out of those tweeters in that box.

- The sub output is mono, which is fine for the sub speakers you added but again even if you did have full range sound to use the tweeters it is mono so you have no stereo.

-That amp likely has a "Left" and "Right" input but you only have the one set of wires from the stock sub what did you do about that? Did the amp have a mono input setting, did you split the wires? Depending on how you did this it could be a problem.

Now those are just the technical problems, those tweeters that you aren't using are pretty useless in the trunk, high frequencies don't travel like the bass does, so you should just give up on the full range signal and use this thing as a sub box, any sound coming from *behind* you from those tweeters will sound like crap anyways...unless you go to concerts and face away from the band...in which case it would sound awesome ha

IMO this is a waste, just stuffing some huge cheap subs in the trunk with the stock stereo might seem cool but a good stereo system is not made this way. I suppose if you just want some thumping and you don't really care otherwise it should be fine.
They worked great the first week but now their doing like you said and just playing the bass.. I pretty much need a whole speaker upgrade could you tell me what to get so I can do this right and get rid if all the old shaggy stock speakers? I need to know exactly what to get to have a decent system ..
Old 08-04-12, 02:22 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Will my 600 watt amp help ?? Or make it worse
Old 08-04-12, 02:28 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

What would happen if I disconnected all other stock speakers from amp and just let the stock amp run with the subs and tweeters
Old 08-04-12, 03:48 PM
bdracing
Driver School Candidate

Since the early 90's most custom factory sound like Lexus/Nissan was Bi-Amp'd less wiring and easy repair from the Dealership. In a nut shell....go buy a New system matching all Amps. speakers ...Bla Bla Bla....and have a Pro install it for you....if you want to learn how to do it...most of these guys will do it on the side at your house and you can watch everything and learn. The prices for electronics have fallen so far...you should be able to get a great deal.....
Old 08-04-12, 09:40 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Originally Posted by bdracing
Since the early 90's most custom factory sound like Lexus/Nissan was Bi-Amp'd less wiring and easy repair from the Dealership. In a nut shell....go buy a New system matching all Amps. speakers ...Bla Bla Bla....and have a Pro install it for you....if you want to learn how to do it...most of these guys will do it on the side at your house and you can watch everything and learn. The prices for electronics have fallen so far...you should be able to get a great deal.....
any suggestion on brands?
thanks, HD
Old 08-05-12, 08:01 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Actually, I run a Pioneer F90BT head unit through the factory amps. The sub is the stock unit and the speakers have been replaced with Boston Acoustics SE series speakers. Not a whole lot of money but it sounds great...
Old 08-05-12, 05:32 PM
Ryanh1020
Rookie

Will I need an RCA converter for my stock headunit?
Old 08-05-12, 09:55 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanh1020
How do you suppose i go about purchasing all equipment needed and also should i install my own or??
Thanks
start with a good component or coaxial speker with a 4ch amp. then move to the subs. this is all after the proper headunit is bought.. I did it all by myself (not impossible at all) but did spend time doing it. saved over a few hundred dollars by doingso as well.
Old 08-06-12, 07:16 AM
bdracing
Driver School Candidate

I think your Sub's are OK...I would have the guys check your Amp and Subs just to be safe. A square wave will blow a speaker the same as over driving the Amp...I am curious if you want the Sub humming type ride or just a clean loud well balanced sound? As far as RCA's for the stock head unit....if you plan on keeping it? They make clips that tap into a stock system then out to new Amps and Speakers (which is what I plan on doing). As I said...prices are down and finding something in your price range should not be hard. Go on the web and snoop out best amps for the money and check out what is rated high for the money...name is not everything. A lot of Auto sound web sites with FREE info....BD

Quick Reply: Audio Help! Put the subs in and worked fine for 5 day and now they don't work??