ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Spark Plug replacement - ES330

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 09:28 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
I have done it both ways.

I prefer not to remove the intake manifold because that would require to remove the EGR pipe, parts of the intake plumbing, some vacuum hoses, etc.

I was able to change the spark plugs (all 6 of them) in less than an hour....

Its up to you.
Unless you're talking 3ES, I call bull****.

The 3.3 motor sucks for this job. I was helping my mech do this on an RX330, took well over an hour. And have to disconnect Half the motor to get access to the rear and then it's super tight...
Old 08-20-12, 04:54 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Unless you're talking 3ES, I call bull****.
Sorry. I was talking about my 97 ES300 (3ES).
Old 08-20-12, 06:24 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for posting this! It will help a lot when I have to do my spark plugs soon.

What is the recommended time/ mileage interval to change the plugs on the ES330?
Old 08-20-12, 07:37 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Thanks for posting this! It will help a lot when I have to do my spark plugs soon.

What is the recommended time/ mileage interval to change the plugs on the ES330?
90-100k (if you use the factory plugs).
Old 08-20-12, 07:47 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9

As above, up to 100k. Get Iridiums. I run the NGK bkr6eix-11, around 40$ for all 6 from Rockauto.com. Various sources say these are 'higher end', and on Roackauto they seem to be around there. Only denso and another variant of an 0.20$ more NGK plug above it

You can run platinum, but trust me, you don't want to be paying or doing this yourself more than once or twice...
Old 08-31-12, 12:46 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
For my 97 ES300, I don't have to remove the intake manifold to replace the spark plugs. You just need to have a few socket extensions to get to the rear 3 spark plugs. I don't know if it is the same for ES330.
I also agree. Eveyone says that for a 95 to 98 too. Have to remove plenum for rear plug..NO you do not. It is a 30 to 40 minute job without remove the plenum.

The es330 is the same, little longer but just as easy. A 1/2" ratchet, universals and a socket. Take your time the first time..than easy..

I agree with all item that wrnechboy stated but the plenum.

Problem with the ES330, along with many other, is all the emission junk on it. I have a 300, 330 and a 350 and I cannot stand the 330. Lexus dropped the ball on this one.

I have rebuilt many starters for these cars and people whine about how bad it is...easy cheap job..

I work on them enough to like it and not enough to hate them.

Last edited by snowmaker; 08-31-12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 05:43 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by snowmaker
I also agree. Eveyone says that for a 95 to 98 too. Have to remove plenum for rear plug..NO you do not. It is a 30 to 40 minute job without remove the plenum.

The es330 is the same, little longer but just as easy. A 1/2" ratchet, universals and a socket. Take your time the first time..than easy..

I agree with all item that wrnechboy stated but the plenum.

Problem with the ES330, along with many other, is all the emission junk on it. I have a 300, 330 and a 350 and I cannot stand the 330. Lexus dropped the ball on this one.

I have rebuilt many starters for these cars and people whine about how bad it is...easy cheap job..

I work on them enough to like it and not enough to hate them.
That's really cool. What year is each one and what are your thoughts on them?
Old 09-03-12, 10:54 AM
snowmaker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
That's really cool. What year is each one and what are your thoughts on them?
1998 Es300 (black) over 250K miles...Love it 100%. looks like it was off the show today....No issues at all. Repair alot of items (shocks (all items), TB, plugs, weather stripping, radio screen, EGR, various rubber items, O2 sensors but all very easy. All parts are OEM. I hope it last another 5 years..

2006 Es330 (silver): 66,000 and drives like crap. Kids call it the egg car. Sulfer smell is bad. Shifting is crap and acceleration is lacking. Brakes also suck. Now having issues with radio controls in steering wheel. Inside is nice and radio I love. I wish I never bought it.

20010 ES350: 21,000 miles and head room is lacking. Road noice is poor and hate interior. The dash board seat belt light drives me nuts.. I do not drive that much since it is not my car (wifes). Plus I hate the plastic in the engine compartment (stupid).. Shorter car than the 330 ...For the price, never mind ....LOL

Last edited by snowmaker; 09-03-12 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-03-12, 11:39 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Man that's harsh, but it makes me feel bettet about my 98. I really like the newest ES, it's in a league of its own.
Old 09-03-12, 12:45 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man that's harsh, but it makes me feel bettet about my 98. I really like the newest ES, it's in a league of its own.
Me too. Nonetheless, it's somewhat frustrating to hear harsh things about the newer generations of such a fantastic car. I don't like the ES4 style, but an ES5 or an ES6.always catch my eyes.
Old 09-03-12, 01:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLex
Me too. Nonetheless, it's somewhat frustrating to hear harsh things about the newer generations of such a fantastic car. I don't like the ES4 style, but an ES5 or an ES6.always catch my eyes.
I agree, I always hear something negative about the 4ES.

Luckily my 4ES, doesn't exhibit the hesitation lag. It has already had the TSB applied according to it's service history. I get compliments on my 4ES all the time, it's aged very well. Still not my type of car, but it's perfect for my father. It get's him from point A to point B, in a very comfortable fashion and it get's excellent fuel economy on the highway for the size of vehicle it is.

I'm probably still going to buy another ES, it will be a 3ES though. It certainly won't be as nice as the other one's I looked at. I'm going to need another car once the Accord dies, which likely won't be for at least another year. The reason I suspect the Accord will die is that it has the original timing belt at 224k miles and it is an interference engine design. haha, what can I say, I like to live on the edge knowing that belt can break any minute!
Old 09-03-12, 02:00 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
I agree, I always hear something negative about the 4ES.

Luckily my 4ES, doesn't exhibit the hesitation lag. It has already had the TSB applied according to it's service history. I get compliments on my 4ES all the time, it's aged very well. Still not my type of car, but it's perfect for my father. It get's him from point A to point B, in a very comfortable fashion and it get's excellent fuel economy on the highway for the size of vehicle it is.

I'm probably still going to buy another ES, it will be a 3ES though. It certainly won't be as nice as the other one's I looked at. I'm going to need another car once the Accord dies, which likely won't be for at least another year. The reason I suspect the Accord will die is that it has the original timing belt at 224k miles and it is an interference engine design. haha, what can I say, I like to live on the edge knowing that belt can break any minute!
Sounds like you WANT it to die
Old 09-03-12, 02:36 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds like you WANT it to die
HEY, I didn't say that... Did I? I love that car, I mean who wouldn't. It has so many features, such as no A/C it helps burn the fat off when stuck in traffic. And, the drum brakes another amazing feature as they last longer than disc brakes. Not to mention, the amazing massaging seats every time I idle at a traffic light, it's awesome! Oh, the best feature though is the black oil spots it leaves in my driveway that are coming from the rear main seal. I believe it does that to remind me that I should change the oil because I haven't done so in over 10k miles. HAHA , WAIT! I almost forgot, there's more. Every time it shifts my head almost falls off my shoulders, it's awesome! I'm sure I'm forgetting some other amazing features that it has.

Yup, if it dies, I have an excuse to buy a 3ES. I can't wait, but I think my bank account can. haha
Old 09-03-12, 03:10 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

20010 ES350: 21,000 miles and head room is lacking. Road noice is poor and hate interior. The dash board seat belt light drives me nuts.. I do not drive that much since it is not my car (wifes). Plus I hate the plastic in the engine compartment (stupid).. Shorter car than the 330 ...For the price, never mind ....LOL
Hey snowmaker, among all of the complaints you mentioned above there's only one that really concerned me: road noise! Quietness is (or should be) one of the joys of owning a Lexus!
Old 09-03-12, 11:52 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeLex
Hey snowmaker, among all of the complaints you mentioned above there's only one that really concerned me: road noise! Quietness is (or should be) one of the joys of owning a Lexus!
We had a 5ES as a loaner and I don't remember any abnormal road noise. Maybe he has bad tires or something. I do have to agree with him on the interior, I was not a fan of the materials nor the style. I think the 4ES has a much more premium feel to it. My parents leased a 4ES back in the day, and the one thing I remember about it is how dead quiet it was on the road. I remember we had to run some errands with my sister, and we were completely in shock by the sound isolation that it provided. Never been a fan of the jellybean shape, but that's for another discussion.

Last edited by Hayk; 09-03-12 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug replacement - ES330