ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need a New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-02, 05:28 PM
Asim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a New Engine

I need a new engine for my 95 ES 300. I let some one barrow the car for a few days and I got an oil leak. And that person kept driving it for a few days till my motor blew. But now I need a new motor. any suggestions on where I can find one in chicago? or any common swaps for motors on this car? And how much do you think a motor will cost with fairly low miles?
thanks for you help.
~Asim
Old 11-15-02, 06:02 PM
jaymode
Driver

http://rebuilt.infoboard.net/toyotalookup/index.cfm

I would go for a used car instead of a this because think of how much a shop would charge to fix this. I personally would get a new car unless you are stuck on this lex. These are rebuilt, not as good as new but you cant get a new one, they are practically non existent.
Old 11-15-02, 08:54 PM
Asim
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by jaymode
http://rebuilt.infoboard.net/toyotalookup/index.cfm

I would go for a used car instead of a this because think of how much a shop would charge to fix this. I personally would get a new car unless you are stuck on this lex. These are rebuilt, not as good as new but you cant get a new one, they are practically non existent.
I was thinking of just replacing the engine and the shop that's doing it for me is my buddies shop. So labor is going to be pretty cheap. Plus I just bought my wife a car, so I really can't afford another one. I thought I might be able to get it fixed for a couple of grand.
~Asim
Old 11-15-02, 09:20 PM
jaymode
Driver

Ok but i was just giving you a warning. I have dealt with remanufactured engines and transmissions. They have a different feel they arent smooth at all. They clunk and they just dont feel right. The engines chug along and really feel like they are missing some power, even though lexus who installs it says its fine.
Old 11-16-02, 02:59 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jaymode
Ok but i was just giving you a warning. I have dealt with remanufactured engines and transmissions. They have a different feel they arent smooth at all. They clunk and they just dont feel right. The engines chug along and really feel like they are missing some power, even though lexus who installs it says its fine.
He's right. If your car was fairly new, you could risk doing a rebuild. Your car is 8 years old and it's not worth spending so much money to rebuild on a car that isn't worth very much. Also, rebuilt engines/trans will not last very long and are generally of lower quality and reliability than originals.

If you want to play it safe, I suggest getting another car.