ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Diagnosing Fuel Pressure - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 02:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Diagnosing Fuel Pressure - Need Help

I'm suspecting a leak in my fuel injectors, because of a strong fuel smell on cold starts. I would like to test all the lines from the tank up to the fuel injectors to pinpoint the problem.

I bought a fuel pressure test kit, but it only comes with adapters that let you connect in-line with the system. Is this the only safe way to test fuel pressure?
Amazon Amazon

I want to hook up the gauge in the same way as you would if you were measuring tire pressure. Then I would activate the pump and pressurize the line. I was thinking of hooking up the gauge at the fuel tank outlet to see if the pump can hold pressure. Then connect it after the fuel filter to see if the lines from the tank to the engine bay are okay. And finally if I don't get any pressure drops there, I would be able to easily conclude that the fuel rail is the cause of my problems.

Does that sound like a good plan? Would my methods cause any damage?
Old 07-24-12, 03:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

I don't think you will do any damage using the method you are thinking of. But the leak is probably coming from the fuel pressure regulator.
Old 07-24-12, 06:07 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I've replaced almost everything inside the tank - fuel pump, fuel pump sock, fuel pressure regulator, and its filter. I still want to know if I did it right, or if there is something causing a leak.
Old 07-24-12, 06:12 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Aside from the gas smell are there any other symptoms?
Old 07-24-12, 07:54 PM
dewso1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a little petrol smell too, i thought it was normal, so im pretty curious now.
Old 07-24-12, 08:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrBooby
...fuel pressure regulator....
You are talking about the one on the fuel rail, correct? I think Lexus calls this a fuel pulse damper or something like that. To me your thinking is sound, let the pump pressurize the system and isolate.
Old 07-24-12, 08:16 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Yes, there are other symptoms. The car takes a few seconds to fire up "cold" and it sounds a bit lethargic if you restart it "hot". When it's hot, upon restarting the engine, the revs don't go up as high as on a cold start. I think the lower revs is normal, but the sound the car makes is just not right.

I've had this issue since I got the car. I went to a mechanic for a fuel pressure test and he said it was a check valve. I took his word for it and started throwing parts at the car - bad idea. After about $400, it didn't get much better. I've cleaned the MAF and my IACV along with the TB, so it's not that either.

I'm currently testing the fuel tank, it seems to be holding well. I'll give it another 20 minutes.

I was talking about about the fuel pressure regulator inside the fuel tank, it's part of the pump assembly.

Are you suggesting that the fuel rail regulator might be faulty?
Old 07-24-12, 08:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Are you suggesting that the fuel rail regulator might be faulty?
Yes, they do fail and when they do, they leak, especially when the engine is cold. Not sure it would explain your other symptoms though. It's a tricky part to troubleshoot because it tends to only leak at first, plus the engine gets warm and any fuel evaporates quickly.
Old 07-24-12, 08:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

They leak onto the engine, at least the bad one I saw did. Well really I never saw the fuel actually leak, but I smelled it. Seeing you have a pressure gauge you will find the leak if there is one.
Old 07-24-12, 08:43 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Do they leak onto the engine or is it an internal leak? I don't see anything around it.

After 30 minutes, I lost 10psi at the tank. It went from
44 to 34.
Old 07-24-12, 08:44 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

To determine if you got leaky fuel injectors, you would check it during closed loop. Open loop simply means computer is not in control yet and is operated on a certain map that the manufacter had designed for the car. What are your fuel trims reading during normal operating temperature? You would need a scanner that can read live data. Tell me on bank 1 and 2 STFT and LTFT readings are.
Old 07-24-12, 08:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

According to the service manual:

Start the engine.
Measure the fuel pressure at idle.
Fuel pressure: 301 – 347 kPa (3.1 – 3.5 kgf/cm2, 44 – 50 psi)
Stop the engine.
Check that the fuel pressure remains as specified for 5 minutes after the engine has stopped.
Fuel pressure: 147 kPa (1.5 kgf/cm2, 21 psi) or more
Old 07-24-12, 09:15 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
According to the service manual:

Start the engine.
Measure the fuel pressure at idle.
Fuel pressure: 301 – 347 kPa (3.1 – 3.5 kgf/cm2, 44 – 50 psi)
Stop the engine.
Check that the fuel pressure remains as specified for 5 minutes after the engine has stopped.
Fuel pressure: 147 kPa (1.5 kgf/cm2, 21 psi) or more
I read that too, but it sounds like the bare minimum. What if you have a small leak that takes a few hours to release all the pressure? It would be undetected by the FSM procedure.

GS4, I have a live OBD2 scanner, I just don't have a laptop to hook it up. I'll try to get those readings some time this week.

edit: I removed the fuel pump assembly from the tank, while it was still under pressure. I didn't see or hear any leaks, so I'm thinking that everything is good back there. I did the pressure test a couple of times and it seemed to drop from 44-42 down to about 36-34 consistently. The longest I waited was one hour and it was at 36 when I came back.

I'm now testing the pressure after the fuel filter (inside the engine bay).

Last edited by Hayk; 07-24-12 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 09:08 AM
INNOUTFAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Yes, they do fail and when they do, they leak, especially when the engine is cold. Not sure it would explain your other symptoms though. It's a tricky part to troubleshoot because it tends to only leak at first, plus the engine gets warm and any fuel evaporates quickly.
Very common problem on many vehicles - GM, Chrysler. Have changed several of these out on GM cars and with those you have to pull the injectors out of the fuel rail. Not sure on the Lexus. Not comparing GM or Chrysler, there is no comparison, just experience with fuel regulators/dampers.
Old 07-26-12, 10:16 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmm the symptoms sound like a leaky injector to me, if the check valve or regulator was leaking, the fuel would be leaking outside the system, or simply back into the tank. The only symptom there should be long startup, or even no symptoms at all, since the fuel pump would prime anyways in a return style fuel system, depends how fast you turn the key. An outside leak should be pretty obvious to the nose.

Fuel trim won't tell you anything, the injectors are only closed for 2 revs of the motor, not enough time to leak anything, leaky injectors manifest themselves when the car is off...

Quick Reply: Diagnosing Fuel Pressure - Need Help