ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need advice QUICK!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 01:24 PM
Eternal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice QUICK!!

Hello everyone,

I'll get right to the problem. My 2002 ES300 had an error code which I read and figured the throttle position sensor went bad. The throttle wasn't responsive and I couldn't drive faster than 25 mph. I took it to my mechanic and told him to put a new one in, but that didn't help.

He then read the code again with his own reader, and said that it actually was a pedal position sensor, and that I'd have to change the whole pedal assembly at the dealer because it would need reprogramming. OK.

I took it to the dealer and agreed for $150 diagnostics fee and later $750 pedal assembly fee. Guess what, today he called me and said that the throttle position sensor that the mechanic replaced was loose and it spoiled the car computer while they were trying to program it. Now he wants $2000 for everything including computer replacement!!

Is he trying to rip me off? Shouldn't they have detected the "loose" sensor if I paid them $150 for diagnostics? What should I do in this situation? What are my rights?

THANKS!!!

Last edited by Eternal; 07-11-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-11-12, 04:18 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if they are intentionally trying to rip you off, but I do not see how a loose sensor can damage a computer to the point of needing replacement. I would call BS on that one. They might just be somewhat incompetent and just throwing parts at the problem. Apparently expensive parts. I do not know what recourse you might have other than to appeal to their common sense. Usually, you have to elevate the situation on up the corporate ladder to get any resolution.
Old 07-11-12, 04:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

I don't see why the ECU would need to be programmed, that sounds like BS to me. I bet the tech did something wrong and fried the computer and is now trying to get you to pay for it. There is NO WAY the engine ECU should have been cooked. I would call Lexus for sure and complain, that dealership is trying to take you for a very expensive ride.
Old 07-11-12, 07:19 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck in trying to held the dealer responsible for the blunder and keep us posted on this one. For the worst case scenario, Rockauto carries the APPS assembly for $350. You can also find a used ECU at eBay for about $120.
Old 07-11-12, 10:29 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

OP, exactly what dealership are we talking about here?
Old 07-12-12, 01:15 PM
Eternal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will talk to them today hopefully.

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
OP, exactly what dealership are we talking about here?
Lexus of Watertown
Old 07-12-12, 01:48 PM
mooseboy84
Rookie

You can buy a new engine and have it installed for $2000. I would run away quick.
Old 07-12-12, 03:08 PM
Eternal
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so I finally went there and talked to them. The guy kept saying that because of a loose TPS, the ECU broke and the car couldn't maintain idle rpm. Since it sounds absurd, I asked him to take me to the car and show me how it starts.

He started the car, and guess what, it did maintain its idle rpm. BUT here's a catch: the check engine light was on and the pedal still wasn't responding correctly, exactly the same way as it wasn't responsive before the mechanic put new TPS and the dealer put new Pedal Position Sensor.

At this point all of us were so confused we decided that I should talk to the mechanic who's responsible for my car tomorrow. But since changing TPS, resetting, reprogramming, and changing Pedal Position Sensor didn't help, do you guys think it's likely that the ECU is the real problem?
Old 07-12-12, 05:28 PM
mcqmcg
Driver School Candidate

More on the legal/rights side:
We had an issue with my brother's Audi where the dealership was just milking his wallet, non stop. Dealerships are slimy and you have to play back. Believe it or not, our dad had a lawyer write up a nice letter addressed to the dealership saying how we were planning to sue them for their malfeasance and deceptive money-making practices. This offense is both civil and criminal. Companies do not want any more law suits than they already have, so they'll typically cave. We had actually already paid and they, without hesitation, refunded us 100% of our money.
So play hard-ball back and you might get somewhere. And try to stay away from the Stealerships.
Old 07-13-12, 12:56 PM
Eternal
Driver School Candidate

OK, so I talked to the mechanic and we figured out that the pedal was malfunctioning (I noticed jerking and hesitation while shifting, decreased mileage, delays in response), which over time caused the ECU to break, at which point it started throwing the codes and not accelerating past 25 mph, which in turn made me take it to the dealer. So I guess both the ECU and the pedal need replacement, not due to their fault, so I'll be replacing them both. If only I knew that they aren't that hard to replace yourself... Oh well, it's my first car. Everyone has to learn at some point.

Last edited by Eternal; 07-13-12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 01:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

That doesn't make sense to me. I'd get a second opinion. Still sounds like B.S.
Old 07-13-12, 07:43 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not accept that without a second opinion. I know it costs but it would be money well spent. It's hard to diag over the internet but that certainly doesn't sound right...