ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hey you guys who've done your suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 06:45 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
You have mentioned that the factory rear strut mounts are the way to go, but what is your honest opinion of the front? If you had the choice, would you go with OE?
I've been following this thread too but we should keep in mind OP is talking about a 1996 2ES, you and I have the 3ES there are some differences. I was a little puzzled at what part is the "upper rear insulator" the 3ES actually does not have this, the entire upper insulator and boot are integral with the strut mount in the rear. The KYB aftermarket part comes this way. So the feedback from the 2ES may or may not apply here, the parts are different.

Up front the stock 3ES has an upper insulator integral with the strut boot. The KYB aftermarket part in this case, is just the insulator pad you have to use a separate universal strut boot. In this case I bought the Lexus stock part. I posted my parts list above.

I freaked out a little at possibly lower ride height in the rear, so I just ordered the Lexus rear lower insulator and I noticed there was a "collar" that I did not have to I ordered that since I am building up complete new strut. I'll update my parts list.

I will report how the KYB mounts work out.
Old 09-05-12, 01:30 AM
MCL23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my suspension on my 95 es300 2 weeks ago using this thread as reference for parts. Thank you so much mtnman82 for posting up a list of parts needed. It made my life so much easier when ordering. With that being said I wanted to point out a few things that were different for me when I did my install.

The KYB struts that I ordered did not come with any lower insulators on the rear, so I had to order both the front and rear lower insulators from the dealer.

The rear upper insulator/boot did not come with bump stops, so I would recommend purchasing those too just in case your old ones are unusable. Fortunately for me, my old front bump stops were still good so I used those in the rear. I also used the KYB bellows that came with bump stops for the front struts.

Other than that everything else mentioned was pretty much spot on. I also lowered my car using Tein S-tech lowering springs for a 99-03 solara which were a perfect fit. Part number SKL16.

I went with the KYB strut mounts front and rear and spring seat too because the OEM ones were too expensive. So far there hasn't been any strange sounds coming from the mounts but its only been 2 weeks and about 500 miles. I saved my old mounts just in case since they looked pretty good when I removed them. Thanks again mtnman82
Old 09-05-12, 01:17 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
I've been following this thread too but we should keep in mind OP is talking about a 1996 2ES, you and I have the 3ES there are some differences. I was a little puzzled at what part is the "upper rear insulator" the 3ES actually does not have this, the entire upper insulator and boot are integral with the strut mount in the rear. The KYB aftermarket part comes this way. So the feedback from the 2ES may or may not apply here, the parts are different.

Up front the stock 3ES has an upper insulator integral with the strut boot. The KYB aftermarket part in this case, is just the insulator pad you have to use a separate universal strut boot. In this case I bought the Lexus stock part. I posted my parts list above.

I freaked out a little at possibly lower ride height in the rear, so I just ordered the Lexus rear lower insulator and I noticed there was a "collar" that I did not have to I ordered that since I am building up complete new strut. I'll update my parts list.

I will report how the KYB mounts work out.
Good catch, I didn't notice that.
Old 09-07-12, 10:37 PM
Cosanostra
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MCL23, post a few pics of your new ride height.
Old 09-08-12, 12:01 AM
MCL23
Driver School Candidate

i will do, all of the pictures are on my other laptop right now so once I get a hold of that I will be posting up pics of the new ride height
Old 09-08-12, 05:57 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can someone post how much torque for each component? or do i have to buy a repair guide?
i can't download my es300 handbook from lexus for some reason :/
Old 09-08-12, 09:01 AM
Cosanostra
Driver

Originally Posted by gabzor
can someone post how much torque for each component? or do i have to buy a repair guide?
i can't download my es300 handbook from lexus for some reason :/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...this-help.html
Old 09-08-12, 03:24 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet thanks
Old 09-10-12, 11:38 AM
MCL23
Driver School Candidate

new ride height after the suspension swap
Attached Thumbnails Hey you guys who've done your suspension...-160.jpg   Hey you guys who've done your suspension...-161.jpg   Hey you guys who've done your suspension...-162.jpg   Hey you guys who've done your suspension...-163.jpg  
Old 09-30-12, 12:04 PM
mtnman82
Rookie

MCL23 - glad I could help! Your ride looks nice!

I do have to report that the rear of the car does creak. It did this before I replaced the suspension, but I was hoping it would go away after I replaced the mounts/struts. Maybe something else is going on, but it does sound like it's coming from the top of the rear struts - however, anyone who's done this type of work knows where the sound is actually coming from can be deceiving (it can travel along components and appear to come from somewhere else). I investigated some, but the car is off at school and I won't see it again until Christmastime I suspect. I'm quite sure I installed everything correctly and torqued everything down properly. Just thought I'd mention it. Fronts don't make a peep, it's just the rear.
Old 09-30-12, 08:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by MCL23
new ride height after the suspension swap
I have a sweet spot for well kept dark green cars with orange lights.
Old 05-28-13, 03:39 PM
dwagner825
Driver School Candidate

My son just bought a 98 es300. It needs new rear struts. I was planning on buying individual KYB parts. I then saw that they make a complete assmbly for the 98 Camry. All the part numbers match up. I cant find a KYB spring but a search on Auto zone shows the Camry and ES300 use the same spring. KYB doesn't have it listed on their ES300 catalog. Has anyone used them? I can find them online for around 190 each side. Thoughts? Here's a link to them on Autozone. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._453410_18474_
Old 05-29-13, 06:58 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

I have those blue monroe quick struts all around my 3es. Attractive price, but Not only does the car stand taller, but the ride quality is more 'stiff' and rougher.
Old 05-30-13, 08:58 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You really cant beat the OEM stuff for ride the aftermarket stuff is not tuned as well and lower quality. Shocks are critical to how your ride feels i have the Tokicos they are pretty stiff.
Old 01-24-14, 09:49 PM
Soasnavas
Driver School Candidate

I went with KYBs struts and mounts all around and the car feels like pure crap. I feel like the strut is moving aroynd every time I hit a bump. I then replaced front mounts with oem and immediately noticed a difference in the front. Save some time and money and go with toyota mounts. I got them on ebay for 70 each but there totally worth it. Also keep in mind that these are side specific. All different part numbers.