ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Leaking Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 09:57 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Cool Leaking Transmission Fluid

Well this is the second major repair my es300 has needed. At 190k miles and 11 years, my car has started leaking transmission fluid from where the engine and transmission come together. If it was a minor leak i would leave it, but it is pretty bad. I got $1200 quote at AAMCO to get it fixed so i'm just going to bite the bullet and pay it. I know the car has a lot of miles, but it still runs great and looks good to.
Old 06-22-12, 10:56 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

That's unfortunate. I guess it's either a hit or a miss with these transmissions. I haven't had any major issues *knock on wood*
Old 06-22-12, 01:46 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I know others have strong opinions on this, but I've actually had good luck with some of the seal conditioners like Lucas or Bars on older cars that just weren't worth tearing down. It probably won't completely stop the leak, but it will likely reduce it to where it's very manageable.

On a car with nearly 200k miles, I think you're wasting money throwing $1,200 just to fix a seal, especially since that transmission could go out at any day. At that point, I think you're better off to just go ahead and have the transmission rebuilt or replaced.

Also, I'd shop around, AAMCO doesn't have the best reputation.
Old 06-22-12, 01:55 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
I know others have strong opinions on this, but I've actually had good luck with some of the seal conditioners like Lucas or Bars on older cars that just weren't worth tearing down. It probably won't completely stop the leak, but it will likely reduce it to where it's very manageable.

On a car with nearly 200k miles, I think you're wasting money throwing $1,200 just to fix a seal, especially since that transmission could go out at any day. At that point, I think you're better off to just go ahead and have the transmission rebuilt or replaced.

I would disagree. If you value your car, spending a grand on repairs should not be a problem. If you saw his car, you would understand.
Old 06-22-12, 02:01 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank

I strongly disagree. What makes you think $1200 is a waste of money for a seal? 200k miles is nothing for the drivetrain in the ES. It would be ridiculously stupid to put in a transmission while doing the seal.

Although, I do agree with you on the last bit. I would trust AAMCO. But, every AAMCO is different, some may actually have competent workers.
Old 06-22-12, 02:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Any way you can get a second opinion? It's not often the tranny leaks there, plus why so much to fix it? Do they have to pull the transmission to do it?
Old 06-22-12, 03:48 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I would do is get a reputable mechanic who does this at home. I know a guy who did rear main seal on ours a few months ago. It was like $475+ part.
I would suggest you also do your rear main seal at the same time. If this car lasts another 100-150K for your its money well spent.
Old 06-22-12, 04:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

If you saw the car, you wouldn't think it nearly had 200k miles, the transmission still shifts great so i think it just needs the seal, i might as well do the rear main seal for the engine oil to. I know it has a lot of miles, but my mentality is that this car has been so good to me, 1200 isnt much for how long we've had it, plus i just put new struts on the back. People may think i should cut my losses, but its still a great car. I haven't shopped around, but i really just want to get it fixed. I usually avoid chain shops such as AAMCO, but this one has a good reputation, i guess its like MAACO, its all franchised and it depends which you go to. The do have to pull the transmission to fix it. I do plan on getting a new car soon, so i will just give this to my brother which doesn't make me feel as bad about putting money into the car. Here is a recent picture of the car, it keeps me thinking its worth fixing haha
Attached Thumbnails Leaking Transmission Fluid-photo-24.jpg  
Old 06-22-12, 04:57 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're going to have to spend that much to replace the seal, I'd also say just save your money for an eventual transmission rebuild and you can then replace all the appropriate seals while it's pulled out. You could have to pull the transmission out all over again.

How bad is the leak? Are we talking like a quart a year or a quart a month?

FWIW, I'd definitely get a second estimate though, I bet a Lexus dealer would do it for less than that.
Old 06-22-12, 05:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

More like a half a quart a week, he said its either the seal or a small part in the transmission that begins with an s i forgot the part name, that is causing fluid to gush out.
Old 06-22-12, 06:46 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said, I would find someone who does this part time at home or shop around at local trans shops.
Old 06-22-12, 07:15 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

No local trans shops i know of around here, or at least good ones. I got a few good mechanics who do work on the cheap, but i feel like this is a bit to involved for most of them.
Old 06-22-12, 08:55 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Was the part called the solenoid?
Old 06-22-12, 09:12 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

No it was something else, but i think i know exactly what is leaking, its the input bearing seal? I was on toyota nation looking up transmission leaks for solaras and camrys and the pics people put up are leaking where my car is and have all the same symptoms. Prices people paid ranged from 1100 to about 1800 so if i pay around 1200 i feel like im getting not a great deal, but a fair one.
Old 06-22-12, 10:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

How often do you change your transmission fluid? And which one do you use?

Quick Reply: Leaking Transmission Fluid