ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Backyard Mechanics: Did I do this right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 04:32 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Placed an order for a used ABS pump on eBay. Hopefully it's completely operational. I will post updates on the progress, once I get it.
Old 07-28-13, 09:54 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Having a weird issue, where the ABS light won't come on ever since I fiddled with the connections. I'm gonna hold off on replacing the ABS pump, until I can trigger those same codes again.
Old 08-02-13, 07:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Alright the codes finally came back. Happened right after I pulled out of my driveway. 21, 22, 23, 24, and 28.

Will be replacing the pump very soon.
Old 08-11-13, 08:45 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can crack that sucker open carefully, you can just re-solder the connecting pins to the board. I had a similar issue with a nissan pathfinder I once owned. Re-soldered and the code was gone for good.
Old 08-11-13, 09:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
My ABS light has come on today - on the way to work and on the way back.

My ABS motor reads:

"Toyota 44540-33010
133200-4000
Denso Made in Japan
Manufactured under
license of Bosch"

So I don't know if it's Denso or Bosch....
it's Nippon Denso - they just have to pay Bosch a patent royalty each year depending on how many cars are sold
Old 08-11-13, 09:40 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Alright the codes finally came back. Happened right after I pulled out of my driveway. 21, 22, 23, 24, and 28.

Will be replacing the pump very soon.
from my reading of this thread, you have not definitively established that the pump is bad, you need to follow all of the steps in the service manual methodically, I have seen cases where leaking ECU capacitors will cause this, also I would check the ABS ECU for leaking caps as well. - also check the circuitry in that module you photographed.
Old 08-23-13, 05:08 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
from my reading of this thread, you have not definitively established that the pump is bad, you need to follow all of the steps in the service manual methodically, I have seen cases where leaking ECU capacitors will cause this, also I would check the ABS ECU for leaking caps as well. - also check the circuitry in that module you photographed.
Thank you for your input. I'm gonna keep that in mind, if the issue comes back.

I finally got a chance to swap the ABS unit. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I sprayed the brake lines with some PB Blaster and let them soak for a few hours. The only tool required was a 10/12mm flare wrench. I also used a regular open end wrench once everything was loose. The only trick was doing everything fast enough so that not a lot of brake fluid dripped out of the lines. I also read that holding the brake pedal just a little bit helps prevent the brake fluid from coming out - so I did that.

Finally, I bled all four brake calipers, extensively, until I was sure that all the air was out. Went through 2 small bottles. Probably could have used a lot less, because I had to do the job twice.

The "new" ABS motor is much quieter at start ups, so that's a good sign. Brakes work beautifully and there are no leaks. I'm gonna go out on a limb and call this one fixed. If the lights come back, I will update this thread as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited by Hayk; 03-24-14 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 01:41 PM
LeeB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice thread! Any more ABS related issues?

I've got an ABS light with flashing TRAC light on my 97 ES300, several mechanics have scanned for ABS codes and gotten the 43 code. Since 43 is not a valid code I'm tempted to replace the ABS/Trac ECU first. Also, it sounds like I should try the speed sensor test and also listen for the ABS actuator / pump noise at startup. Taking it to a dealer so they can experiment with hugely expensive guesses is not an option, I'd rather try swapping out the most likely suspect with an Ebay purchase. If it doesn't fix the problem then I've got a spare.

Thank you for your input. I'm gonna keep that in mind, if the issue comes back.

I finally got a chance to swap the ABS unit. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I sprayed the brake lines with some PB Blaster and let them soak for a few hours. The only tool required was a 10/12mm flare wrench. I also used a regular open end wrench once everything was loose. The only trick was doing everything fast enough so that not a lot of brake fluid dripped out of the lines. I also read that holding the brake pedal just a little bit helps prevent the brake fluid from coming out - so I did that.

Finally, I bled all four brake calipers, extensively, until I was sure that all the air was out. Went through 2 small bottles. Probably could have used a lot less, because I had to do the job twice.

The "new" ABS motor is much quieter at start ups, so that's a good sign. Brakes work beautifully and there are no leaks. I'm gonna go out on a limb and call this one fixed. If the lights come back, I will update this thread as soon as I get a chance.
Old 08-27-13, 02:06 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeeB
Nice thread! Any more ABS related issues?

I've got an ABS light with flashing TRAC light on my 97 ES300, several mechanics have scanned for ABS codes and gotten the 43 code. Since 43 is not a valid code I'm tempted to replace the ABS/Trac ECU first. Also, it sounds like I should try the speed sensor test and also listen for the ABS actuator / pump noise at startup. Taking it to a dealer so they can experiment with hugely expensive guesses is not an option, I'd rather try swapping out the most likely suspect with an Ebay purchase. If it doesn't fix the problem then I've got a spare.
Look at page 25 and 26 in this PDF
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake12.pdf

Looks like a malfunction in the ABS ECU. Also something with either low or abnormally high battery voltage. Just keep in mind that access to the ABS ECU is not easy. You might need to remove the main ECU to get to the bolts. I had a hard time disconnecting the harness when I was testing for continuity.
Old 08-28-13, 10:26 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Back to the drawing board. Codes 22 and 27.
Old 09-03-13, 09:06 AM
LeeB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, yep, that code is a TRAC code not an ABS code so I have a replacement ABS/TRAC ECU ordered from Ebay. I know a great mechanic who might be able to pop it in for a reasonable charge hopefully.

Look at page 25 and 26 in this PDF
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake12.pdf

Looks like a malfunction in the ABS ECU. Also something with either low or abnormally high battery voltage. Just keep in mind that access to the ABS ECU is not easy. You might need to remove the main ECU to get to the bolts. I had a hard time disconnecting the harness when I was testing for continuity.
Old 09-19-13, 08:56 AM
LeeB
Driver School Candidate

Ack! The replacement ECU gets the same code, my mechanic is willing to keep going with the troubleshooting next week so hopefully he can figure it out. The good news is that it cost me less than $100 for parts & labor, at a dealer that would have been scary expensive just to rule out the ECU.

Originally Posted by LeeB
Thanks, yep, that code is a TRAC code not an ABS code so I have a replacement ABS/TRAC ECU ordered from Ebay. I know a great mechanic who might be able to pop it in for a reasonable charge hopefully.
Old 03-23-14, 06:21 AM
Jaden1
Rookie

Mr. Bobby, were you ever able to fix the problem? The ABS light on my 99 ES300 just started coming on. I'm getting codes 21, 22, 23, 24, and 26. I'm also hearing quite a bit of whining when I first start the car. I assumed it was something else going on, but from reading your thread, I'm guessing it's the ABS actuator. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot? Thanks.
Old 03-23-14, 11:03 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jaden1
Mr. Bobby, were you ever able to fix the problem? The ABS light on my 99 ES300 just started coming on. I'm getting codes 21, 22, 23, 24, and 26. I'm also hearing quite a bit of whining when I first start the car. I assumed it was something else going on, but from reading your thread, I'm guessing it's the ABS actuator. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot? Thanks.
No

I'm still constantly looking for a solution. I would like to try going to a professional to have them read my ABS codes with a professional reader with a specific key for this car, so that it's not just generic descriptions that I've been getting. Hopefully they will be able to pinpoint the problem, without having me to swap out my ABS computer.

As somebody else has mentioned, it could be a glitch inside the computer, due to bad capacitors.
Old 03-24-14, 06:35 PM
Jaden1
Rookie

That sucks. I doubt the computer is bad. In my experience, a bad capacitor usually causes a total failure and you wouldn't be getting codes from it. I see you changed the actuator. Did you get the same exact codes after changing the actuator?

I looked at the actuator in my car yesterday and it looks in good condition, no leaks and no noise. I did notice that the wiring harness to it had a couple of wires where the insulation was missing in sections, almost like a rat or mouse was chewing on it. I'll have to check on that. I cleared the codes and they haven't come back yet.

Quick Reply: Backyard Mechanics: Did I do this right?