ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Finally bought an 01' ES300

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 06:23 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Actually, you know what, I'm not sure if it's the Platinum or Coach. Because the 01' ES spec sheet doesn't list an option for platinum.

Maybe it is a Coach, but I don't think the seats were perforated. I went to see it at night, and wasn't paying much attention to the seats, because they looked clean and no wrinkles. But, I don't see how I would have missed the fact that they are perforated. lol
it is coach edition. nice find and nice car. i really took my time to get the coach edition with nakamichi audio. it was well worth it.
Old 06-22-12, 06:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

+1 for coach, platinums were 2000, and they didn't have chrome door handles, Coach editions were 2001 and had chrome door handles
Old 06-23-12, 02:29 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys! Yup, I am really glad to have found a coach edition. I thought about buying a new Prius C instead, but there is just so much that I love about this generation ES, that I had to get one. The pilarless design, reminds me of my ES250.

Well, I'm off to Boston now, will be back late tonight. I'll pick up the ES sometime on Sunday, and then Monday I will get it registered at the DMV. So you can expect more pictures sometime early next week. Stay tuned! lol
Old 06-23-12, 12:46 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Thanks for the comments guys! Yup, I am really glad to have found a coach edition. I thought about buying a new Prius C instead, but there is just so much that I love about this generation ES, that I had to get one. The pilarless design, reminds me of my ES250.
Good choice. I looked at the Prius C and it just screams "cheap"! Lots of hard surfaces and a rubber steering wheel, yuck.
Old 06-23-12, 04:39 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Beautiful ride. Bought my 2000ES May 2011 and no issues with it whatsoever. Platinum edition as well. You will love it.

Mine had 50k on it when I bought it and the people who owned it didn't appear to keep up with oil changes, which can be a bad sign for the 1MZ's but I took a chance. Accordingly mine had some varnish in the engine but long story short I changed the oil a good couple of times and now the oil that comes out after longer OCI's is not as dark. She'll last a good long time.
Old 06-23-12, 09:12 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Looking at this car; http://minimemotors.com/vehicle/used...lersite#ar_top

Which is an EXACT copy of yours, it does have perforated leather... damn.

Originally Posted by imherenow
ya its def edition..which has the emblem on side. The only thing you need/install are HID. I always find it weird with the edition models some dont come with OEM HID. i hope the previous owner did not removed them
Options are options... they didn't come with it, why? Beyond me... considering the original owner paid a premium to have nicer interior with coach stamping on the armrest/seats & badges. But most headlights were still optioned...

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Beautiful car, congrats. 2000-2001 is the best year of the ES IMO, although I have not seen the latest model. The HIDs seem to have been an option on every model if I'm not mistaken, yea it is a bit weird that the limited edition versions didn't always have them.

Same interior as mine except the chrome door handles which I think are WAY better than the plastic ones. Just for kicks I looked up the price they run about $32/side I'm going to order them. Listing says it was only on the blue/grey and sage colour set, so I take it no black interior had them?
Nope, it was in all interiors. I saw a coach 01, shell for sale a couple mos. back with them. Black on black, full load, [chrome, coach badging/ HID's/woodgrain/black pearl, perforated leather]
Old 06-24-12, 07:28 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Nope, it was in all interiors. I saw a coach 01, shell for sale a couple mos. back with them. Black on black, full load, [chrome, coach badging/ HID's/woodgrain/black pearl, perforated leather]
I think Lexus2000 misspoke or was looking at the parts lists wrong. It isn't black that doesn't have the chrome handles available, it is the sage interior, from what I can see in the parts vendors online. There are only two Coach options for the door handles which i assume are the chrome ones:

COACH EDITION,IVORY
COACH EDITION,BLACK

There is no "COACH EDITION,SAGE" option. I assume one could disassemble the handle and swap the chrome part on a sage car, but I decided I didn't care that much I was just curious.
Old 06-24-12, 08:27 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Got a part number? This is the listing I was looking at.

69206B HANDLE SUB-ASSY, FRONT DOOR INSIDE, LH

69206‑22080‑B1 W(CHROME PLATED INSIDE HANDLE), BLUE GRAY, TRIM1*
69206‑22080‑G1 W(CHROME PLATED INSIDE HANDLE), SAGE, TRIM6*
69206‑30120‑B2 BLUE GRAY, TRIM1*
69206‑30120‑E1 MD.OAK, TRIM4*
69206‑30120‑G0 SAGE, TRIM6*
Old 06-24-12, 09:18 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Are you looking at Toyota parts listings? I think that is what is happening there, since there is no blue-gray ES300 interior, and you don't see black becuase there was no black Camry interior in that generation.

This is what I got for Lexus parts
HANDLE SUB-ASSY, FRONT DOOR INSIDE, LH

69206-22080-A0 COACH EDITION,IVORY,TRIM03
69206-22080-C0 COACH EDITION,BLACK,TRIM23
69206-30120-A0 IVORY,TRIM0#
69206-30120-C0 BLACK,TRIM2#
69206-30120-G0 SAGE,TRIM6# (Replaced by: 69206-AA010-G0)

Your sage part shows as 2001 Camry part for Toyota. It is starting to make sense now...apparently some 2001 Camry have the chrome door handles, and share the same Sage interior color so the handle part does exist in the US. Just looked on EBay at 2001 Camry to confirm. I wonder if the "G1" indicates the color is not exactly the same as "G0" though the non-chome part numbers are the same ES300 sage to Camry sage. I am tempted to order them I am sucker for remixing stock parts ha.

BTW sorry for filling up the thread OP, that is a nice Coach edition! Now I wish I had held out for one of the special ones but I like my "base model" alright.
Old 06-24-12, 10:09 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

From what i've seen, these handles are the same between ES, Camry & Sienna... My dealerships are so incompetent for anything as old as my '01, or stupidly overpriced, i might just bite the bullet on these aftermarket units and swap over the just the handle to my OEM's. Linky
Old 06-24-12, 11:10 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Its just chrome covered plastic, I would be tempted at $50 vs. $120+ship to try those out...
Old 06-24-12, 05:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Hey guys, bad news... The deal fell through on the 01'. I went to pick it up today, and I notice the rear passenger door doesn't open from the inside. (yes, i checked the child lock). And, he wouldn't lower the price due to that, he claimed he didn't know it didn't open from the inside. I also noticed a ton of stains on the door panels, which I didn't see before, because I went to see the car at night. So, In the end I decided there was no way I was going to buy this car, it was not up to my standards. LOL, yes I understand it's a 11 year old car, but still. OH, BTW: yes, the car does have perforated leather.

But, no worries, I'm going to go take a look at an 02' Lexus ES300 tomorrow or Tuesday. I will give you guys an update, once I see it. I really hope this deal goes well, because this car was serviced was regularly serviced at Lexus. The service history is awesome, it's complete. All the way from 5 miles to 176k miles. It does have high miles, but I think it's worth it, considering all of the service was done at Lexus.

Last edited by hypervish; 06-24-12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 09:03 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^ to each his own, but that is just demented.

It's a tan interior [black ftw!], so it will have shoe scuffs - Magic Eraser removes all of them effortlessly.

Yes, its old, could be something as simple as the link between door handle and door lock mechanism/actuator assy. Door panel is 3mins. to remove and confirm. They actually 'slide' off fairly easy from the handle [i've parted two GS's and know Lexus' fairly well]

The price you talked it down to was a steal [i just spent the last two days up & down on CL in the USA looking for salvage yards with 01's], a beat 180k+ 00-01, fetches 4500$ up north, super ****ty ones ~3k with zero maintenance. NICE one's like this, asking prices are 7k+ All day long in the same mileage.

I think you're being far too ****, and seriously passed on one hell of a deal... But, i'm the same way - sort of. I've passed up parts for my car a few times since it was slightly over my budget at the time, or didn't want to go over budget - and now i've been kicking myself in the *** for a long time now for that reason!
Old 06-24-12, 09:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

^^ I agree with the above. A used car is never perfect, minor cosmetic issues are easy to deal with. I could understand if there was a giant rip in the leather or something, and yea the door handle issue is probably a clip that broke and the metal rod fell off the mechanism. But at the same time I understand how it feels, you expect the car to be a certain way and when you find flaws and the seller doesn't seem to care or want to lower the price, yea...

BTW thanks for the info about the door handles, the Ebay ones look tempting.
Old 06-24-12, 09:56 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Well it's his money, so he should get what makes him happy.

There is one thing to note. It's best to stay away from first model year examples, since most of the time - not everything is perfect. It takes a few years for a manufacturer to workout all the kinks.

Quick Reply: Finally bought an 01' ES300