ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Anyone else use Fuelly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 07:27 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Anyone else use Fuelly?

Fuelly.com is an online community of people who track their cars' fuel economy. It's very simple to sign up and they offer a great layout to track your progress and compare it to others.

All you have to do is input three variables at every fuel up. MPG(miles/price/gallons).

I used to calculate my MPGs at every fuel up, but I never recorded them. It was a way for me to see how my car was doing. I signed up in May, and I only have 4 fuel ups so far, but I can already see a good representation of my fuel economy.

For example, I used to average around 24-25MPG on the highway. I just recently replaced my Timing Belt, Driver CV Axle, and cleaned my MAF sensor (which is probably the biggest contributor). Today was my first fuel up after the overhaul, and I recorded 27.1MPG!

Currently, there are very few ES owners on there, and most of them are not active. I encourage everyone to sign up and bring our awesome CL community over to Fuelly. I'd love to see how everyone is doing.

Here is my page.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mjrgonorrhea/es300
Old 06-19-12, 09:58 PM
juvenchan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do
but i haven't update mine, since I dnt always fill up (full) the tank
poor student

Here is mine
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/juvenchan/es300

MrBoody, how do u get that much MPG?
Old 06-20-12, 02:55 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Where is the MAF sensor on a 2002 ES300 and how do you clean it? I would be curious to see if my MPG goes up just by cleaning it.
Thx
Old 06-20-12, 05:35 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't use Fuelly but I do keep track of my fuel consumption.

Vehicle: 97 ES300
Mileage: +270,000 miles
Location, Toronto, Canada
Summer combined city/hwy (with AC on sometimes): 27-28mpg
Summer hwy (with AC on sometimes): 29-30mpg
Winter combined city/hwy: 26 mpg
Old 06-20-12, 05:45 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by juvenchan
I do
but i haven't update mine, since I dnt always fill up (full) the tank
poor student

Here is mine
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/juvenchan/es300

MrBoody, how do u get that much MPG?
I drive mostly highways and avoid using my brakes. I cruise at around 75-80 and let off the gas if I need to slow down (engine brake). Compared to some other ES owners, my numbers aren't that great. I would like to stay in the high 20's, and with the recent result, I think I will.

I also try to keep my car in perfect running condition. I just need an alignment and possibly an O2 sensor.
Old 06-21-12, 02:59 AM
juvenchan
Driver

Originally Posted by BDSL
I don't use Fuelly but I do keep track of my fuel consumption.

Vehicle: 97 ES300
Mileage: +270,000 miles
Location, Toronto, Canada
Summer combined city/hwy (with AC on sometimes): 27-28mpg
Summer hwy (with AC on sometimes): 29-30mpg
Winter combined city/hwy: 26 mpg
i got 97 es.. but 85%freeway = 23mpg..
I am wondering what do i have to change... since i have to commute at least 20miles -50miles a day
Old 06-21-12, 04:09 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am wondering what do i have to change... since i have to commute at least 20miles -50miles a day
Just off the top of my head:
- spark plugs?
- working thermostat?
- easy on gas pedal?
- clean fuel injectors?
Old 06-21-12, 05:03 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a Fuelly for my RX300, I don't use it frequently. But, occasionally, I'll use it. I drive my RX fairly aggressively, and still manage to get good MPG for a CUV. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/lexusvishal/rx300

I'll set up a Fuelly for my ES300 once I get it. I'm currently in the search for one, I should be an ES300 owner by the end of this month, finally!
Old 06-21-12, 08:17 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

From my last result, I get around 24-26 mpg. 300-320/tank on 87. Mostly city and I have a heavy foot oftentimes... This is after a complete tuneup as well. If I babied it and didn't use AC I'd probably get higher numbers... But it's not a corolla where I need 35mpg
Old 06-21-12, 08:51 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

There are many factors that contribute to your fuel economy.

1. Drag
What type of tires do you have?
What pressure is in each tire?
How much tread do you have left?
How is your alignment?
Do you have major physical damage or anything that is not stock?

2. Mechanical Side
What is the condition of your fluids and how often do you replace each one?
When was the last time you looked at your spark plugs and which ones do you have?
How is your air filter and MAF sensor? Are they both clean?
Same thing with the Throttle Body and IAC Valve.
Have you replaced your PCV valve recently?
Are all your belts and pulleys in good condition?
Any check engine/warning lights?
How is your suspension? Struts, Strut Mounts, Sway Bars, Joints...
Have you done any modifications?

3. Driving Style
Are you light footed?
Do you often go over 3500 RPM?
Do you find yourself hitting the brakes hard?
Do you tail gate?
What is your average speed on the highway?

Lastly, how many miles are on your car?

It's very hard to pinpoint great gas mileage to one thing.

Last edited by Hayk; 06-21-12 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 10:22 PM
juvenchan
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
There are many factors that contribute to your fuel economy.

1. Rolling Resistance
What type of tires do you have?
What pressure is in each tire?
How much tread do you have left?
How is your alignment?
Do you have major physical damage or anything that is not stock?

2. Mechanical Side
What is the condition of your fluids and how often do you replace each one?
When was the last time you looked at your spark plugs and which ones do you have?
How is your air filter and MAF sensor? Are they both clean?
Same thing with the Throttle Body and IAC Valve.
Have you replaced your PCV valve recently?
Are all your belts and pulleys in good condition?
Any check engine/warning lights?
How is your suspension? Struts, Strut Mounts, Sway Bars, Joints...
Have you done any modifications?

3. Driving Style
Are you light footed?
Do you often go over 3500 RPM?
Do you find yourself hitting the brakes hard?
Do you tail gate?
What is your average speed on the highway?

Lastly, how many miles are on your car?

It's very hard to pinpoint great gas mileage to one thing.
Wow, thanks for listing those questions

All Season tires, original rims

Pressure? not sure, i will go buy something to check the tire pressure

Tread? about 70%, i believed

Aligment?? its a bit shaky when i m driving ~70mph, i drove the car for 2.5years, and the MPG stays the same within 2.5yrs

I got an accident before(1yr ago), front bumper slightly crack, changed the hood, No more~

Fluids.. I believe I have to take my car to change the brake fluid,transmittion fluid

Spark plugs? I don't know where they located and how to check them. (can you tell me how?)

Air Filter changed recently, what is the MAF sensor?

Throttle Body need to change since when I restart my engine within 15mins, the RPM is below 500. IAC Valve, not sure

What is PCV valve? Nope, I never change that after I bought it.

Belts.. Can you tell me how to check them, because I am not sure about it. what is Pulleys

Never got any check engine or warning lights

Suspension, Struts, mounts, sway bars, joints need to be change I guess. There is CLING CLING sound when i go through the bumps and my suspensions r very soft

Modifications? Nope

Yes, very light footed.
3500 RPM? nope and I drove within 80mph
Since I got a small accident before, I never go close to the car in front of me and No hard brakes
what does it mean tail gate?
Avg speed.. since I commute to school(kinda far), so 90% freeway = 75mph

116k miles

Thanks a lot for the questions MrBooby
I want to learn more about inside the car.
Old 06-21-12, 11:24 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Wow, thanks for listing those questions

All Season tires, original rims What brand and model? Are they 205/65/15?

Pressure? not sure, i will go buy something to check the tire pressure Get a tire gauge, your tires need to be between 30 and 35 psi. I have mine at 30

Tread? about 70%, i believed

Aligment?? its a bit shaky when i m driving ~70mph, i drove the car for 2.5years, and the MPG stays the same within 2.5yrs Is the shaking coming through the steering wheel?

I got an accident before(1yr ago), front bumper slightly crack, changed the hood, No more~

Fluids.. I believe I have to take my car to change the brake fluid,transmittion fluid How often do you service your car and how often do you replace your engine oil? Also, what type of oil does your mechanic put in? Does he replace the oil filter as well?

Spark plugs? I don't know where they located and how to check them. (can you tell me how?) They are screwed into each cylinder through the head of the engine. They're not very hard to check, but considering your experience, I suggest that you let your mechanic do this. No offense.

Air Filter changed recently, what is the MAF sensor? Mass Air Flow Sensor. It's located inside the air intake hose that comes from the air box. There is a wire that connects to the sensor from the outside. The sensor tells the computer how much air is coming in, so that it can adjust the fuel supply accordingly. If it's dirty, you'll end up using more gas. There is a very special spray cleaner that has to be used, because anything else will damage the sensor.

Throttle Body need to change since when I restart my engine within 15mins, the RPM is below 500. IAC Valve, not sure That sounds like a MAF and/or IAC Valve problem. Don't replace your throttle body, it just needs a clean. There is a metal flap inside the TB, that opens and closes to let more or less air into the engine. It gets gummed up with carbon deposits, because of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system.

What is PCV valve? Nope, I never change that after I bought it. Positive Crankcase Ventilation. When an engine is working, some exhaust gases find their way into the head of the engine. In order to get rid of them, there are vent holes in the valve covers (tops of the engine), that connect to the air intake. The front valve cover connects to air intake through a rubber hose, before the throttle body. The rear valve cover goes directly to the Intake Manifold, so it needs a valve in order to compensate for not having a Throttle Body in the way. This valve is made of plastic and wears out over time, so it's good to replace it. I forget what the symptoms are, but it's best to have a working valve.

Belts.. Can you tell me how to check them, because I am not sure about it. what is Pulleys There are three belts on your car. Two that you can see and one hidden under a plastic cover. The first two are called Accessory, or Serpentine, Belts. They spins all the accessories on your engine, hence the name. Power Steering, A/C, and the Alternator, all get power through those belts. Open the hood and look on the passenger side of the engine. The first one you'll see will be the Alternator belt, it's the thicker of the two. The Power Steering has it's own belt and it's located towards the back. It's also very thin. You need to inspect the insides of the belts for cracks, any damage, or oil contamination. Look for dry rot.

The third belt that's under a plastic cover is called a Timing Belt. It's a critical part of the engine, because it keeps the crankshaft(bottom) in time with the camshafts(top). If the belt is bad, it will make the engine run poorly and will cause a loss of power. If it snaps due to fatigue, your car will not start. The belt has to be replaced every 90-100 thousand miles. Age also plays a big role, since the rubber can dry out and snap. You have to remove a lot of parts in order to get to the belt and it's not a job for a novice DIYer. That is why most people change it just because it's time to change it. Also, it is recommended that you replace your Water Pump and Hydraulic Tensioner when you do this job, just because you're already there and they can also fail at around the same mileage.

Pulleys are metal wheels that the belts attach to. There are two pulleys on the front of your engine that need to be inspected and replaced from time to time. They are driven by your timing belt as well. One is an idler pulley, meaning that it doesn't drive anything, it's just there to support the belt. Another is a tensioner pulley, it presses against the belt in order to keep it tight. A bad pulley can make a squealing noise. On the other hand, a worn out belt can make the same noise as well.

Never got any check engine or warning lights

Suspension, Struts, mounts, sway bars, joints need to be change I guess. There is CLING CLING sound when i go through the bumps and my suspensions r very soft Have your mechanic check your suspension. A common problem with these cars is strut mounts (metal plates/bushings that hold the struts to the body of the car) and sway bar links/bushings. I had a clunking noise in the back that was fixed by replacing the sway bar links and bushings. Mine were dry and worn out.

Modifications? Nope

Yes, very light footed.
3500 RPM? nope and I drove within 80mph
Since I got a small accident before, I never go close to the car in front of me and No hard brakes
what does it mean tail gate? Tail Gating is when you drive too closely to another car. Tail gates are found on SUVs and Pick Up trucks, they are those doors that you can sit on. So the expression comes from the fact that you're basically "sitting" on the other car's tail. Tail Gating is also a social thing when people get together in parking lots for a sporting event and cook BBQ and sit in the back of their trucks, etc.
Avg speed.. since I commute to school(kinda far), so 90% freeway = 75mph

116k miles If you haven't replaced your timing belt, it's time.

Thanks a lot for the questions MrBooby
I want to learn more about inside the car.
I hope my responses help.

Last edited by Hayk; 06-21-12 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 12:45 PM
smee
Driver

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/smee/es300

Just signed up! Super stoked about this!
Old 06-24-12, 01:02 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I signed up as well, looking forward to keeping track http://www.fuelly.com/driver/power6/es300
Old 06-24-12, 09:07 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Nice, added both of you.

Quick Reply: Anyone else use Fuelly?