ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

NAV system problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 04:26 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV system problem.

My navigation system stopped working all of a sudden. When I turn on the NAV it says
Unable to read data
check if map DVD is correct
Now the kicker is. The DVD won't come out of the NAV system no matter what I try.
By the way this is a 2002 es300 with mark levinson sys.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-31-13, 09:36 PM
mkeidel
Driver School Candidate

Did you get it fixed yet? Mine is doing the same thing.
Old 09-15-13, 10:47 PM
bonniedad
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same problem on my 2002 ES 300. Thus far a search of the various posts have not been very helpful. Did you get the problem solved?

Marty
Old 09-16-13, 03:45 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Marty.
I did post the solution before on this site. Not sure why its not showing up. In my case I found out that the laser head for the DVD drive had gone bad. I got it replaced for $200 and now it's working. Looking at the other option of paying over $800 for the whole unit I think it's better. And everything is still original. Hope that helps.
Sonny
Old 09-16-13, 10:32 PM
bonniedad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES300_NJ
Marty.
I did post the solution before on this site. Not sure why its not showing up. In my case I found out that the laser head for the DVD drive had gone bad. I got it replaced for $200 and now it's working. Looking at the other option of paying over $800 for the whole unit I think it's better. And everything is still original. Hope that helps.
Sonny
Hi Sonny,
Thanks for the reply. How did you find out it was the laser head for the DVD drive? I can't seem to eject the Map DVD to see if it is damaged. DVD door opens but the eject button seems jammed. I plan on taking it to the dealer and see what they say. Did you try anything else people suggested e.g. disconnecting the battery and blowing the unit with compressed air?
Marty
Old 09-17-13, 02:02 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

I had tried many different things and to the point I had taken the DVD drive and dismantled it. Being an EE working with electronics all my life I came to conclusion that, that was the problem. My Es had 116K miles at the time and electronics do go bad. Same as yours, eject didn't do anything. Drive spinned up but couldn't read it. The head didn't initialize, sort of stuck. After many months of searching I found out that the laser mechanism does go bad and needs to be replaced. I did and I'm up and running. I'd be curious to know what the dealer will do and charge for this. Please update us.
Sonny
Old 09-19-13, 11:15 PM
bonniedad
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I had tried many different things and to the point I had taken the DVD drive and dismantled it. Being an EE working with electronics all my life I came to conclusion that, that was the problem. My Es had 116K miles at the time and electronics do go bad. Same as yours, eject didn't do anything. Drive spinned up but couldn't read it. The head didn't initialize, sort of stuck. After many months of searching I found out that the laser mechanism does go bad and needs to be replaced. I did and I'm up and running. I'd be curious to know what the dealer will do and charge for this. Please update us.
Sonny
Hi Sonny,

Went to the dealer today and told the rep my problem and I could not eject the Navigation DVD. He tried and also failed. Then he said "I wonder if the engine has to be running for Eject to work." I started the car, ejected the DVD, blew some dust off, reinserted the DVD and WOW, the system started working!!! Duh. Thanks for your concern.

Marty
Old 09-19-13, 11:32 PM
bonniedad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkeidel
Did you get it fixed yet? Mine is doing the same thing.
Try starting the engine before ejecting the Navigation DVD.
Old 09-20-13, 02:27 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by bonniedad
Hi Sonny,

Went to the dealer today and told the rep my problem and I could not eject the Navigation DVD. He tried and also failed. Then he said "I wonder if the engine has to be running for Eject to work." I started the car, ejected the DVD, blew some dust off, reinserted the DVD and WOW, the system started working!!! Duh. Thanks for your concern.

Marty
Great news for you Marty,
In my case, I had tried all that but still nothing, just the disc would not eject, engine running or not. Dealer didn't even offer to help just said we'll have to replace the unit.
Glad it worked out for you.
Sonny
Old 07-08-14, 04:35 PM
SAB35263
3rd Gear

Great news for you Marty,
In my case, I had tried all that but still nothing, just the disc would not eject, engine running or not. Dealer didn't even offer to help just said we'll have to replace the unit.
Glad it worked out for you.
Sonny
I've been having the same problem with my 2002 ES. Any other solutions besides replacing the Laser reader?