ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

replacing 4ES door speakers + components, anyone recommend a brand from personal use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 07:17 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing 4ES door speakers + components, anyone recommend a brand from personal use?

I am replacing the front door speakers and components in my 02 es300

what brand and line of speakers do you recommend? I listen to a lot of rock and classical stuff so loud and bass heavy is not key like in rap.

I have replaced the stock amp so the speakers can all have as much power as they need. They are 6.5's upfront I think with 1 inch components

I'm buying off crutchfield

tell me what you have in your 2002-2006 ES
Old 03-31-12, 08:00 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i recommend infinity comps and eclipse for HU, stock components are pretty good on these cars though.
Old 03-31-12, 11:37 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

I will look at infinity then.

I'm sorry but the stock non nav non ML system on my 2002 is pathetic.... under powered and un balanced with too much emphasis on the rear sub that craps out too soon and the 1 inch components in the front doors. 86 watts? come on.. for 7 speakers? my rx300 had 210 watts for 7 and sounded great stock...
Old 04-01-12, 03:11 PM
rlx101
Advanced

86 watts in a daily driver is plenty for my ears. dont like the sub - tone it down. CDs sound great in my car, no complaints.
Old 04-01-12, 03:14 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

To each his own I guess!
I work as a sound technician for a living so I may be a little more picky than most.

The sub unfortunately cannot be toned down without toning down the bass in the door speakers as well making the whole system lifeless for eve classical music. I will replace these all and report back. I ended up turning off the sub and turning the bass up to +3 on the doors and it sounds much better.
Old 04-01-12, 05:14 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I love the stock door speakers in my 4ES. I did add a subwoofer, but I have a separate switch for it so it is not always on.
Old 04-01-12, 06:07 PM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

What is your budget Patsum? I am looking to upgrade the speakers in my ES300 (on a budget of $300-$400) and have done a bit of research which I could share with you - I plan to purchase within the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-01-12, 06:33 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

I have a budget of $200 for the front speakers

I already have an aux input installed for my ipod via a GROM audio unit
The stock headunit is untouched and will stay in place
I replaced the sub with an aftermarket 8 inch IB sub with a 500 watt amp. same stock location
I replaced the stock amp with an aftermarket 4X500 watt amp for the door speakers

I am going for a killer setup with the stock headunit and stock looks... make it transparent to the user except for better sound.

I just need new front and rear door speakers and front components

6.5's in the front and back. 1 inch components in the front.

Infinity Kappa components in the front.. 6.5 2 way doors Plus 1 inch tweeter
Infinity Kappa 6.5 coxials in the rear doors 2 way as well

should sound pretty great. Not Loud but Quality
Old 04-01-12, 07:32 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Patsum, if you are a sound technician, should not you out of all people already know whats good out there?

6.5 Kappa's is what i had as an upgrade in my previous car, i was very happy with the set up. Replacement Eclipse HU made a huge impact on over all sound quality. If you really want to step it up, as i see it, you'll have to replace the stock HU.

Over the years i've gotten less picky i guess, from denon/nakamichi HU's with crazy component set ups im happy with the stock for once.
Old 04-01-12, 07:39 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Car audio and professional audio worlds are not even close to the same thing, never let anyone tell you that.

Cars versus concerts. Apples to oranges. JBL is a decent brand in Pro audio, maybe JBL car speakers are total crap in car audio though. My knowledge of audio brands and models here is useless.

If you all recommend Infinity Kappa, then I will check them out. My other interests are Polk DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Components due to them having the silk dome tweeters for smoother high end...

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-01-12, 08:12 PM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

I researched on caraudio forum as well and found out the following:

Component Speakers:
1. Massive Audio CK6V ($170 on sonicelectronix)
2. Polk Audio MM6501 ($220 on onlinecarstereo) read that there is a big difference b/w the entry level db's and the MM's
3. Boston Acoustics SC60 ($145 on onlinecarstereo)
4. Morel Maximo 6C (for $200 on on onlinecarstereo)

Rear Speakers: (if you think you will need it - from all that I have read, the top high-end systems do not use rear speakers and instead use front component matched with sub's):
1. Massive Audio VX 6 ($70 on sonicelectronix)

The Massive Audio and Morel are considered the "competition" brand or higher end that does not get all the advertisement like alpine, pioneer, etc. - but are considered of much better quality from what I have read on the forums.

Looks like you have the factory subwoofer replaced (if I was to go the subwoofer route, this is exactly what I would do and use the exact location with an 8") as well as a large amp.

Also consider an amp wiring kit if you do not already have one (e.g. knukonceptz.com)

As well as upgrade the "big 3" as the say on the battery

Hope this helps - sorry I did not install hyperlinks - supposedly I can't install but so many due to my newbie status of posts.
Old 04-11-12, 02:49 PM
DanES300
Driver School Candidate

get on my level. 1999 es300. pioneer 3300bt touch screen head unit, rockford fosgate speakers in all 4 doors, 2 12 inch rockford fosgate P2's in the trunk. had to bypass the factory amp to get rid of the interference. i cant see out of my mirrors because they shake so bad.
Old 04-13-12, 08:34 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

I threw in a pair of Polk audio DB series 6.5 inch components up front with the x over set to -3db on the tweeters and replaced the sub with a free air 8 inch and now this thing sounds great. the factory speakers were awful....
Old 04-16-12, 05:36 AM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

Just curious - what free-air 8" subwoofer did you go with? Did you mount it in the stock location or place in a box? Did you not run an aftermarket amp at all? Just curious.
Old 03-19-13, 01:54 PM
tropez
Driver School Candidate

To the OP. Did you ever end up upgrading?

Quick Reply: replacing 4ES door speakers + components, anyone recommend a brand from personal use?