ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ATF Toyota Type-IV or Dexron in 1992 ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 09:27 PM
kdev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF Toyota Type-IV or Dexron in 1992 ES300?

Man I've researched until my eyes have nearly fallen out. I have read this forum over and over. I see alot of argument about transmission fluid types. Anyhow, I bought an ES300 1992. It did not come with a manual. I have found alot of great information. However, I am still disputing in my head what the right ATF fluid is? 1992 Lexus ES300, Type Toyota IV (4)? Dexron II and/or III? Cant believe something that seems so simple can be so difficult to discern. Never had this problem with any other vehicle type. However I am in love with this car and I've got to get everything sorted out in my mind as far as familiarization with the car so that I can service and repair myself. Would be nice to find a manual. I've found a 93 Toyota Camry manual that states Dexron ATF. But everyone is telling me Toyota IV no matter what! Hmmm.

Its driving me nuts. I know step by step (or think I do) how to do the job, but I dont even know what kind of fluid to use definitively. Damn.

Remove plug
Drain
Remove Pan
Remove Filter
Remove Valve Body Washer
Replace Washer
Replace Filter
Clean Pan
Replace Gasket (Pan)
Bolt on pan
Fill with fluid
Check levels
Drive
Check again...

I'd like to know how I can "pump out" the remaining 3 quarts in the torque converter (?) and "suck up" clean fresh fluid until whats going in is of course clean and whats coming out is also clean. I know its a coolant line or something towards the passenger side. I'll go search some more for that one.. but first it would be nice if someone slapped me into reality and gave me a factual reply about which ATF I should use. Im spent.

The problem is extremely hard shifting from 1st (D) into 2... 4000 RPMS and KA-WHAM!... otherwise its a little quirky. Hopefully this will help.
Old 03-23-12, 01:35 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I had the same issue with finding out the right type of ATF fluid. My manual stated Dexron II/III, and I ended up buying a 12 pack of AMSOIL ATF. That stuff is pretty expensive(about $12 a quart), but it worked out great and it's also compatible with T-IV. I did two drain and fills without removing the pan, and then on my third drain and fill, I removed the pan and replaced the filter. Car has been shifting much smoother and drives great.

I would recommend that you stay with Dex 2/3 because T-IV only came out in the early 2000's and it's not compatible with older cars.
Old 03-23-12, 04:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

edited out

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 03-23-12 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-23-12, 06:47 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Use Toyota Type IV. There is a TSB about this saying switching from Dexron 2/3 is Type IV is fine.
Could you tell me the TSB # that you are talking about? As far as I know, the only TSB addressing this issue is the TC003-99:
Attached Thumbnails ATF Toyota Type-IV or Dexron in 1992 ES300?-novo-5.jpg  
Old 03-23-12, 07:29 PM
kdev
Driver School Candidate

According to that chart, if your car specified Dexron type II or type III, then Toyota Type T-IV is NOT USABLE - I think regardless i'm going to do the multi-drain&fill technique. Not removing the pan the first 2 times, then on the third time, replace the filter. Just like he said. Sounds easier than taking coolant lines off. I'm not comfortable with that.

Last edited by kdev; 03-23-12 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-23-12, 08:49 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

unless your fluid is black, i wouldn't stress too much. Mine had 110k on it when i changed it, it was still red-ish after 10 years and 110k of usage.

the remaining 3qts are no biggie. If you drop the pan, you get rid of most oil that way. [what i did, instead of going back and forth three times]. Pour in new stuff, let the tiny bit of old mix up with new and just drive it...
Old 03-23-12, 09:09 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

edited out

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 03-23-12 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-23-12, 10:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,740 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Acccording to ALLDATA, 92 ES300 uses Toyota Type T-II. Now that's it's obsolete, Toyota Type T-IV should be used, which is in the TSB.
Can you post a copy of this TSB? AFAIK, Type T-IV is not suitable for Dexron applications, in fact I remember reading about people that have tried it and has unusual shifting and shudder from the tranny.

The 1992 ES300 is spec'd for Dexron II, it is stated in the owners manual and the service manual.
Old 03-23-12, 10:38 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
unless your fluid is black, i wouldn't stress too much. Mine had 110k on it when i changed it, it was still red-ish after 10 years and 110k of usage.

the remaining 3qts are no biggie. If you drop the pan, you get rid of most oil that way. [what i did, instead of going back and forth three times]. Pour in new stuff, let the tiny bit of old mix up with new and just drive it...
Shame on you, that is some of the worst advice I've heard on this forum. ATF is very important to the life of your transmission and it should be replaced every 30,000 miles. It is often overlooked, which is the primary cause of problems. Dropping the pan does not get rid of most of the fluid - it only drains about 4.5 quarts, while the total capacity is around 9, IIRC.

If your fluid is black, changing it would be the least of your worries.
Old 03-23-12, 11:05 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

My mistake guys. Sorry. I was reading TSB TC003-98. This only applies to vehicles that uses TYpe T-II. It was under the 92 ES300 so I assumed that was it. Forget my previous posts.
Old 03-24-12, 11:59 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Shame on you, that is some of the worst advice I've heard on this forum. ATF is very important to the life of your transmission and it should be replaced every 30,000 miles. It is often overlooked, which is the primary cause of problems. Dropping the pan does not get rid of most of the fluid - it only drains about 4.5 quarts, while the total capacity is around 9, IIRC.

If your fluid is black, changing it would be the least of your worries.
Weird since i had to top up well over 7qts when i did it a couple years ago. I ran out of fluid and had to buy more the next day. Doing the above method.

A drain & fill drops ~4qts.
Old 03-24-12, 03:54 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

Despite the roar of Mr. Booby at 01 LEXPL, I believe that there is some wisdom in his post above. I'm not saying that waiting 10 years or 110 K before getting the ATF changed is a wise decision. My point is if your transmission is running perfectly fine, fluid is clean, shifting is butter smooth, no jerks, etc. then take it easy with the "maintenance". There's no explicit recommendation anywhere from Toyota for replacing ALL ATF at once when you change it. Actually, I think the wiser decision is don't do it. Just drain the pan, fill it once, let the new fluid mix up with the old and relax. I should have done this when I had all my ATF changed via the radiator lines. A few miles after that the trans started acting up, not a big deal, but enough to be bugging me over the last two years. Since then my trans has been running OK, no slips, no noises, but the butter smooth shifting I used to have was gone. Also, I got a jerk when shifting from N into R or from P into R (btw,I had all the mounts replaced with original Toyota parts a few months ago but no improvement was noticed regarding this issue). A final word of advice: when it comes to maintenance, don't neglect it, but don't try to be kingly than the king either.
Old 03-24-12, 05:29 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^ Thanks! haha

Wasn't my decision. It was one of those 'oh ****' i have to change this since i haven't yet and i saw it on CL' moments

Car was used, unsure of maintenance history in the past, maybe it was done - maybe not. But finally I did it all at once. New pan gasket, filter, and fluid. I bought much more than needed and still ran out...

Also, bob is the oil guy, great forum btw, has many debates on this topic alone. There's those that trust in a flush [not me!] and those that praise drain & fills [which i approve]. The thing with transmissions is, and any mech will tell you with higher miles too, that "some old stuff" is key. Do a flush you lose all the shavings or they get caught in the small veins in the trans - leading to disaster... Let 'nature' take its course - being gravity and all will be well. Most shavings will come out, some will stay but those are 'good' in this case.

Must be an 99+ thing since the transmission was different vs. earlier years.
Old 03-24-12, 06:13 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as an FYI, I use T-IV for my drain and fills in my '96, and have been doing so for like 70k miles (165k now). And this is with doing 3 runs on a drag strip and 3 10 laps on a 1/3 mile oval in Canada. My car is supercharged. The tranny outlasted the engine, lol. I think it is JUST starting to show some issues though. But the way I drive it, that shows T-IV is fine.
Old 03-25-12, 12:04 PM
kdev
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all your input. remember, i am having transmission jerks, shudders, etc. this is the whole reason im changing it. not just on a whim. thanks!

Quick Reply: ATF Toyota Type-IV or Dexron in 1992 ES300?