ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

HELP! Infant baby + terrible streets + old shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 01:13 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavaiie
well i dont think I need new mounts, but after driving when the car is parked and im just sitting in the car, i hear the rear driver side make a sound like the spring is setteling. i have all the records from the dealer. this car used to ride brand new. people would get in my car like "this is a 97?..oh it rides like a 2000 blah blah blah...". ive had it for about 2 year and the shocks are just gone..the sensens are 35 a peice. im up to 140 for all 4.
I can't promise that it will ride like new with cheap Chinese aftermarket shocks. You can't expect quality for $35 a piece. If your car is a 97, I would highly recommend you replace the strut mounts - it's a common problem with these cars, especially at that age. It's like doing the timing belt and keeping the old waterpump - just doesn't make sense.
Old 03-02-12, 11:07 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I hear ya. well today i put the car on a lift and i was able to see which parts were loose. a stabilizer bar, and on the same side one leaking strut. everything else is ok. . also i checked my tire PSI and it was too high. I lowered it and rode more calmly. I have AVS on this car and i may keep the front shocks fror now, but are the monroes quick struts all that great? the seem too commercial. And which companies mounts are the best? also would i be able to get away with just replacing that one leaking strut...
Old 03-03-12, 08:19 AM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

as a very very very well experienced mechanic with the suspensions on these cars and having a dad more concerned with ride quality than i am. I can (with 100% confidence) tell you that your BEST choice will be to go with monroe sens-a-trac's.

I've had them all for this car considering my family's owned ES300's from 1998, 1999, 1999, 2000 and another from 2000.

First set we picked up were KYB's they lasted 2000 miles then started leaking oil. next set Monroe sens-a-trac's held up for 100,000 miles and then i brought them to pep-boys to get a complete new set covered under the lifetime warranty.

My sister owned a Toyota Avalon, same strut design. I purchased Tokico Blue shocks for the slightly heavier car. These shocks were the perfect combination for ride quality and performance. She's sold the car since and i stole the shocks from her and put them on my ES with Eibach lowering springs. A little underpowered for the 2" drop but still performed better than the monroe's

Then for my other sister's ES300 (1999) i decided to pick up a set of sensen's. they are rock solid on stock springs. I installed them and drove around and drove worse than if the car was lowered. The ride was very harsh.

I now have the sensen's in my car with the eibach springs, the tokico struts are still good with 80k on them and the monroe's have been changed again through the lifetime warranty because my father needed struts so before i sold the original car that had them on. I simply brought them all to the local pep-boys and exchanged them again. They did give me a bit of a hard time this time because there was nothing wrong with them but i didnt want to put these in my dads car with 40k on them.

If you have other questions, chevyraycer@gmail.com
Old 03-03-12, 08:22 AM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

btw, quick struts do not use the sens-a-trac strut in the assembly

also i just checked, sens-a-trac name has been changed to OESpectrum strut.
Old 03-03-12, 10:29 AM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

ok ray good looking. monroe has a rebate promotion going on until april. but to tell ya the truth it rides a lil better now that i lowered the tire psi.
Old 03-03-12, 11:04 AM
ECUmedford
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least Sensens come with a lifetime warranty and they use the same Japanese-made NOK seals that are in KYBs. Has anyone else seen the "super set" that APXautoparts.com sells? It comes with the struts, mounts and boots and runs around $354.

linkage to the set
Old 03-03-12, 11:49 AM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

just be aware the sensens ride like you're heading to a track. fine for all highway driving. pretty harsh over the bridges
Old 04-12-13, 05:43 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

*update*( like anyone cares) but just posting out of respect and in thanking you guys for your help. It may help the next newb on their future shock purchase

I decided to go with Monroe Oespectrum from RockAuto. They were cheap at the time and shipping was fast. I did receive a busted shock BUT RockAuto handled buissnes the right was and I got a new one in 2 days. I must have been spoiled by the Avs because boy are these shock firm. Sometimes I think that I could have rode the Ave shocks a little longer. With the Monroe's, you can feel the unevenness of the roads that look smooth. I only have a few routes that I ever travel so it feels harsher. That same unevenness wouldhave been easily soaked up by the avs. Anyway the ride is tighter which is good and my ride is safer (rear passenger Avs strut completely GONE mad body roll). But my Lexus just feels generic.....
Old 04-12-13, 10:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,687 Likes on 2,275 Posts

I'm a bit surprised by your experience with Monroe OESpectrum struts. I've installed them in a couple of cars and found the ride to be very nice, very close to how the car was originally.

Did you cycle the struts up and down about 10 times before you installed them? Because if you don't do this, it can cause the struts to be very firm at first.
Old 04-16-13, 08:31 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

No I didn't cycle them. How long before they soften? Its been a week now. Also there is some new noise since the install. Happens when turning the steering wheel to the right. I jacked up the car an checked it out, seems to be coming from the springs. I put everything back the way I found it. I dunno. Did some searches and it said sum thin about springs binding and unbinding. At first it was like the spring was clunking at a certain spot but now it has turned into a creeking sound. Both turning and straitening when driving.

I want to tighten the main strut bolt to make sure its tight but it spins the rod any tips?

Btw the thhree bolts on the one Monroe rear strut mate mount was difficult to get in assymbled. I had to put in mount then strut. That part of the install zapped most of my time.

Bought Moog front strut mounts they seem to be better quality than the rear monroe mounts.
Old 04-16-13, 09:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,687 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavaiie
I want to tighten the main strut bolt to make sure its tight but it spins the rod any tips?
That means the strut rod is not seated properly in the mount. It might also mean the strut assembly is not put together correctly, the mount and spring may not be lined up properly with the strut body for example. Going by your description, the spring might be twisting and binding as you turn the wheel.

Your problem sounds like it has more to do with how the struts were assembled (and possibly the quality of the upper mounts) than the actual Monroe strut itself.
Old 04-17-13, 08:39 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That means the strut rod is not seated properly in the mount. It might also mean the strut assembly is not put together correctly, the mount and spring may not be lined up properly with the strut body for example. Going by your description, the spring might be twisting and binding as you turn the wheel.

Your problem sounds like it has more to do with how the struts were assembled (and possibly the quality of the upper mounts) than the actual Monroe strut itself.
Right, I tried to place everything back the way I found it. The lower and upper seats had impressions left by the springs. I think in maybe a bearing is upside down. By the way the front dose not have the metal spacer only the rear correct?
Old 04-17-13, 08:43 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

I'm still awaiting an alignment Cuz I think I may need to go back in. Rides fine on smooth roads but just doesn't take bumps well....
Old 04-28-13, 05:20 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

Update. The spring binding issue was due to the mounts not being installed correctly. After reinspection the stabilizer link was worn. Car steering is now back to normal.