ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hesitation while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-12, 02:21 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hesitation while accelerating

Recently its been doing it a lot....I think mainly when its cold but also does so when its warm.too. had the car checked out recently and they found nothing, any thoughts? It's a 97 with 147k miles and recently had a major service about 8 months ago.
Old 02-25-12, 06:10 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
Recently its been doing it a lot....I think mainly when its cold but also does so when its warm.too. had the car checked out recently and they found nothing, any thoughts? It's a 97 with 147k miles and recently had a major service about 8 months ago.
One relatively easy thing to check is to remove the large rubber hose behind the air filter Box (your model year may have 2, I can't remember) and carefully look for cracks in that hose. If you bend it slightly than cracks will become obvious.

Cracks are relatively common as the rubber ages, and as you accelerate and the engine shifts positions, they open up and mess with your fuel/air ratio, causing the symptoms that you describe.

Although not conclusive, also try accelerating and driving in reverse and note if it hesitates in reverse as well.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 02-25-12 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-25-12, 11:10 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Might be an oil control valve? Not sure if the non vvti engines had those though
Old 02-25-12, 11:25 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

are you talking about when you hit gas it accelerates slowly at first but in about 5secs goes OD hard with a rapid push, even tho you didnt let the pedal go? my friend has such thing on his camry, cant fix it tho,if anybody knows whats up, let me knoe too
Old 02-25-12, 03:11 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by PFB
One relatively easy thing to check is to remove the large rubber hose behind the air filter Box (your model year may have 2, I can't remember) and carefully look for cracks in that hose. If you bend it slightly than cracks will become obvious.

Cracks are relatively common as the rubber ages, and as you accelerate and the engine shifts positions, they open up and mess with your fuel/air ratio, causing the symptoms that you describe.

Although not conclusive, also try accelerating and driving in reverse and note if it hesitates in reverse as well.

Phil
i'll test it out today, i know the problem starting couple months ago and it doesn't happen all the time but it feels like i'm driving a manual...

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Might be an oil control valve? Not sure if the non vvti engines had those though
no idea what that is or does.
Originally Posted by Yurka
are you talking about when you hit gas it accelerates slowly at first but in about 5secs goes OD hard with a rapid push, even tho you didnt let the pedal go? my friend has such thing on his camry, cant fix it tho,if anybody knows whats up, let me knoe too
i'm steady on the gas but it just feels like a manu, you can actually see the rpm needle jumping with it. happens under 2500-2000 rpm as well at low speeds. i'd say under 20mph from a dead stop.. after that it's fine
Old 02-25-12, 06:55 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Test the TPS sensor if you got a glitch in it. You can search on youtube .
Old 02-27-12, 02:54 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

I checked a lot of stuff and didn't find anything, also it doesn't do it all the time. Taking it in for some minor work tomorrow but I'll ask the techs
Old 03-01-12, 12:44 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by PFB

Phil
Last couple days its been doing it more and I just tried driving in reverse and it did it as well.
Old 03-01-12, 05:39 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If you don't have any check engine lights, than the next thing I would check/change would be the fuel filters. Both the main fuel filter AND the one in the back.

Do a search on fuel filters, you will find additional info. There have been several posts on this topic.

If you do have a check engine light, than what is it?

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 03-01-12 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-01-12, 09:43 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by PFB
If you don't have any check engine lights, than the next thing I would check/change would be the fuel filters. Both the main fuel filter AND the one in the back.

Do a search on fuel filters, you will find additional info. There have been several posts on this topic.

If you do have a check engine light, than what is it?

Phil
Fuel filter and pump were changed not to long ago. I brought it to the shop now and waiting to see if they find anything.
Old 03-02-12, 02:08 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Alexbenz any update on your car?
Old 03-02-12, 06:28 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Cleaned out the maf and so far its good
Old 03-05-12, 01:31 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Problem is still there, guess I gotta go back and see what it is.
Old 03-05-12, 01:57 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Crazy thing is that I had my 98 ES300 hesitate once but didn't come back after that. Does it happen only when the engine is cold, or doesn't matter..?
Old 03-05-12, 02:00 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by whooodat
Crazy thing is that I had my 98 ES300 hesitate once but didn't come back after that. Does it happen only when the engine is cold, or doesn't matter..?
It happens cold or hot, and its random. It'll do it for awhile and then times it doesn't do it.

Quick Reply: Hesitation while accelerating