ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 06:12 PM
cephas
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I checked my driver's door and indeed it says "05A/U140E". Also doubled checked my owner's manual and it is a 1999 version and it clearly specifies under automatic transaxle to fill with Dex III which makes me annoyed because I almost poured the wrong stuff into my tranny. (as an aside, the manual has pretty much no information on the transmission other than that - doesn't even mention the location of the trans dipstick)

Now I have 5 gal of Dex III that may go to waste (I think I already threw the receipt away). Oh well... appreciate the correction guys, that error would have been costly.
Old 07-31-12, 11:00 AM
clunkjunk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my first drain and fill on my '04 ES330 that I've only owned for a about 3 weeks. I noticed for the last week or so that the transmission seemed to shift funny at times. Almost a flare but not really any slipping. I checked the fluid level with the car fully warmed up, running and in park. The level before the change looked high I though ti was just me not checking it right. I was worried it was low. Upon draining, I removed over 4 quarts!!! The fluid was almost black.

I refilled with 3.5 quarts and then did the 5 seconds routine through each gears in the garage before taking it for a test drive. After the drive the fluid level is just a tad bit below the hot mark. I could probably add another 4 oz and it would be right on but I really don't want it over filled again.

Should I just leave the level alone?

I'm thinking I might do another drain and fill in a month or so.

FWIW, I spent $23 on fluid and aluminum crush washer.
Old 07-31-12, 03:30 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cephas
I'm about to do the drain and fill procedure and I have a question. I have a 1999 3ES and my owner's manual says to refill with Dex III, not T-IV. The guy at the Toyota dealership parts dept also agreed that my model is a Dex III year. On the other hand, I'm hearing here in this thread that 3ES takes T-IV and my tranny dipstick also has a small "T-IV" on it. Any thoughts?
I have a 99. My user manual says Dex II or Dex III. I did some research on this before. I concluded through deductive reasoning, for my 99, that it doesn't matter if you use Dex II, III, or T-IV. Why because if it mattered there would be not any discussion on which one to use. Additionally, If it mattered the users manual would not say Dex III.

Check out this link showing that T-IV meets the performance requirements of Dex III. http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...-III-HELP!!!!!
Old 07-31-12, 04:32 PM
cephas
Rookie

Thanks tomf - since T-IV meets and exceeds DexIII, and the U series trans typically use T-IV, I'll go with that one to be safe. Maybe I'll use the Dex III to exchange the P/S fluid?

A bit off-topic: A repair shop dropped the trans pan about a year and a half ago and changed the filter. A few months ago I go around to checking my trans dipstick and it's totally overfilled past the hot or cold markers (about twice as high). I haven't noticed any detrimental effects except when on cold days the trans will delay the up-shift past 3rd for a bit. Seems like the computer is trying to warm up the fluid by running the engine higher. I have no idea if that's the case or not, but I figured I'd mention it if people encounter similar issues. It could be overfilled trans fluid.
Old 07-31-12, 04:37 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

How are you checking the level? Is the engine running with the trans in park?

I get the same upshift lag on cold starts.
Old 07-31-12, 05:06 PM
cephas
Rookie

I'm just checking it with the engine off. Both hot and cold it's way over the fill markers.
Old 07-31-12, 05:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm just checking it with the engine off. Both hot and cold it's way over the fill markers.
That's not the proper way to check.

Start the engine, drive the car till everything is warmed up. I say at least 15-20 min. Then move the shifter through all gears, and then place it back into park. Keep vehicle running, and check the transmission fluid level.
Old 07-31-12, 05:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I get the same upshift lag on cold starts.
Same, I think it would be considered "normal". It only happens on the first upshift for me.
Old 07-31-12, 05:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Same, I think it would be considered "normal". It only happens on the first upshift for me.
It is normal.

The RX is programmed the same way.
Old 07-31-12, 07:17 PM
cephas
Rookie

Hmm...good to know - I'll check it next time with the engine running
Old 07-31-12, 08:08 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Hmm...good to know - I'll check it next time with the engine running
Most automatic transmissions work the same way. I know with Mitsubishi it has to be in Neutral, and with Honda the engine has to be off. In fact Honda is completely different, because their automatic transmissions are actually manual transmissions with solenoids.
Old 07-31-12, 08:53 PM
ES330MD05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
That's not the proper way to check.

Start the engine, drive the car till everything is warmed up. I say at least 15-20 min. Then move the shifter through all gears, and then place it back into park. Keep vehicle running, and check the transmission fluid level.
I can't get the clear reading. Fluid is all over the place around hot mark. Cant tell if its under/over or just right. Like I said in earlier post, almost 4 quarts came out, I put 3.5 and looked right. Owner's Manual say put 3.7 but I did not want to overfill it so left it alone. Had a very small leak and now it looks like I may be just little under the hot mark. I am going to do another drain (and put new crush washer and torque wrench the drain plug) and put back exactly 3.7 (starting with 3.25/3.5 probably) and see what it tells me. Thanks for explaining the proper way to take the reading.

Last edited by ES330MD05; 07-31-12 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 06:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES330MD05
I can't get the clear reading. Fluid is all over the place around hot mark. Cant tell if its under/over or just right. Like I said in earlier post, almost 4 quarts came out, I put 3.5 and looked right. Owner's Manual say put 3.7 but I did not want to overfill it so left it alone. Had a very small leak and now it looks like I may be just little under the hot mark. I am going to do another drain (and put new crush washer and torque wrench the drain plug) and put back exactly 3.7 (starting with 3.25/3.5 probably) and see what it tells me. Thanks for explaining the proper way to take the reading.
You're welcome!

Yes, sometimes it's difficult to get a proper reading. Try waiting a few minutes to get a reading after you place the car in park.

It's not an issue if it's a tad bit low, but never overfill, especially on a transmission.
Old 08-01-12, 09:56 AM
cephas
Rookie

Yes, I'd like to echo the thanks for the knowledge on this forum. I'm just starting to DIY on my car and my wife's car (a Honda Odyssey so I appreciate Mr. Booby pointing out that the trans fluid reading s/b done when the car is off so at least on her's I know that I was doing it properly) so the DIY threads in particular have been very instructive.

Checked the fluid level with the car running - it's still above the fill line a decent amount, but not nearly as much as before. I'll remedy soon with a drain and fill. Thanks again to all.
Old 08-01-12, 01:01 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Scotty does a good DIY video on Rx. Basically same engine. Here it is :

Quick Reply: DIY transmission fluid change