ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 06:08 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Thank you very much for all the help, i appreciate it. Most forums people just get pissed that im asking stupid questions. I don't even add my own washer fluid so this is a big project for me haha
Hey no problem, I started doing car maintenance the same way. And don't worry about messing up, it happens to me all the time. You'll get better at it with practice. Case and point, the little ATF spill that I had this time.

My first DIY oil change was a mess. It was on a 2008 RX350 that my family used to own. It took me at least 4 hours. My biggest downfall was not having the right tools and not knowing the right procedure. As a result, I bought a heavy duty 3.5 ton floor jack, and gained access to a factory service manual (those things are life savers!).

I can make a quick step by step tutorial if you're still not confident at doing this job.
Old 03-07-12, 10:29 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

So im doing this tomorrow since my car is unmovable because the rear brakes are ****ing up. So start the car, warm up the transmission fluid, drive it up onto the ramps, use a 10mm hex to remove the transmission fluid, then dif fluid. Put bolts back, fillwith new fluid. After filled, start the car and shift through the gears waiting at east one for 5 seconds, then drive around?
Old 03-08-12, 01:39 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gray_es300
So im doing this tomorrow since my car is unmovable because the rear brakes are ****ing up. So start the car, warm up the transmission fluid, drive it up onto the ramps, use a 10mm hex to remove the transmission fluid, then dif fluid. Put bolts back, fillwith new fluid. After filled, start the car and shift through the gears waiting at east one for 5 seconds, then drive around?
Check the fluid level before you start driving around.
Old 03-08-12, 03:44 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

True thats a given haha
Old 03-08-12, 09:29 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i did mine few days back..much easier than an oil change. its jut that was really hard to remove that trans bolt.
Old 03-08-12, 04:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well i finally did it, i ended up using 3 1/2 quarts of transmission fluid. The shifts do actually seem smother, or maybe its just a placebo affect? Needless to say there was a big difference between the color of fluid going in and the color of the fluid coming out. I do not think i will be oing a second or third drain and fill as i just do not have the time, and i have to return the ramps i borrowed from a friend. I have no mechanical knowledge and only took me about 35 minutes. The thing that took me the longest was putting the used oil into the containers and i spilled and had to clean up.
Old 03-08-12, 04:25 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Also for those who have a hard time removing the bolt, i found it much easier to take a giant wrench with a hole at the end of the handle, put the allen key through the hole and use mechanical leverage, came off extremely easy with no drama.
Old 07-28-12, 07:00 PM
ES330MD05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was a appropriate thread for my comments and questions (instead of starting a new thread). Apologies in advance if it doesn't belong here.
So I did my transmission fluid change on my 2005 ES330 today (it has 102k). This was my first fluid change ever (this is my first DIY on my car, apart from air filter change and it made me really happy). Some comments and then few questions I hope members can answer.

- Used a 10mm hex and a wrench I had in my Craftsman toolbox (may be about 10 inches or so long).
- Drain plug was easy to remove (may be because I never changed the fluid at dealership/mechanic so it was not overly tightened?) Fluid started coming out just after less than one turn.
- Measured the drained out fluid and it was close to 4 quarts (I read most people saying they drained 2 to 3 quarts, why did I have almost 4 quarts, 3.8 to be more precise?). Like MrBooby mentioned in earlier post, on tissue paper it looked pink but when I drained, it looked dark brown. See pic below (left plastic cup).

Now few questions -
1. After draining the fluid, I put the drain plug back on. Don't have the torque wrench so followed the advice I saw on this forum somewhere. Hand-tightened the plug as much as I could and then used wrench to tighten another 1/4 to half rotation. Put in new fluid. Measured after pouring 3 quarts and it looked almost full. Got the car of the ramp and had to put another half quart. So total 3.5 quarts and dipstick says its at proper level. Drove around and checked the level, still don't feel I need to add more. So question - 4 quarts came out, put in 3.5. Should I just pour remaining half quart or leave it alone?

2. After some time, I saw some fluid leaking through the drain plug so tightened the plug just a little bit (may be 1/8 rotation), Leak seemed to stop. But noticed little bit fluid coming out after 30 min or so. Wasn't leaking too much. Did not even drop on the ground but a drop was accumulating on the drain plug. I did not have new drain plug or washer/crusher. Old one looked pretty good so just used the same. What should I do if I see drops on the ground tomorrow morning? Get a new washer/crusher? (they don't sell in local PepBoys or Autozone, will need to order some online), or just tighten the drain plug little more?

3. I have 4 more quarts left than I had planned on putting in. When should I do the next drain and refill? Needless to say, I was able to do this only because of this forum. So thanks to all the members who took time and effort to put their experiences on the forum so that these things don't seem like rocket science to folks like me.

If fluid goes this bad after 100K miles, why does Lexus not recommend changing it?
Attached Thumbnails DIY transmission fluid change-to.jpg  

Last edited by ES330MD05; 07-28-12 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-28-12, 08:22 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ES330MD05
If fluid goes this bad after 100K miles, why does Lexus not recommend changing it?
Because it keeps the car repair business "in business". It's not just Lexus/Toyota...many car manufacturers state that you never have to change the transmission fluid unless you tow regularly or drive on dusty roads...something along those lines.

Otherwise you never have to change the trans fluid. That any fluid in a car never needs changing...just doesn't make any sense to me never did but who am I to second guess the engineers that write the specs.
Old 07-28-12, 10:38 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES330MD05
Now few questions -
1. Drove around and checked the level, still don't feel I need to add more. So question - 4 quarts came out, put in 3.5. Should I just pour remaining half quart or leave it alone?

2. Get a new washer/crusher? (they don't sell in local PepBoys or Autozone, will need to order some online), or just tighten the drain plug little more?

3. I have 4 more quarts left than I had planned on putting in. When should I do the next drain and refill?

1. Leave it as is, if you're truly at the Hot Full mark. I had a similar problem, I put back the exact amount that I drained, but I somehow ended up being over the full mark. I kept draining it little by little, and ended up removing about 0.5 - 1.0 quarts.

2. Loosen the bolt, center the washer and retighten. When I was draining the excess fluid, I didn't remove the drain plug all the way, so the washer kept getting compressed multiple times. It caused a minor leak, but I fixed it by tightening the bolt a bit more. Replace the washer on your next drain and fill.

3. I would do it after about 300-400 miles (a tank of gas).

Bonus: Don't really know, but considering how fragile Automatic Transmissions can be, I will be changing my fluid once a year (12 - 15 thousand miles). By the way, my fluid looked just as dark, yet it appeared red on my paper towel test.
Old 07-29-12, 07:44 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I buy my crush washers from Lexus and use them every time I replace the trans fluid. . My guess is you may need to replace that if the leak continues.

I do a drain and fill twice a year. Cheap and easy to do.
Old 07-30-12, 12:38 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.7 qts is the correct amnt, as per the manuel
Old 07-30-12, 03:46 PM
cephas
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to do the drain and fill procedure and I have a question. I have a 1999 3ES and my owner's manual says to refill with Dex III, not T-IV. The guy at the Toyota dealership parts dept also agreed that my model is a Dex III year. On the other hand, I'm hearing here in this thread that 3ES takes T-IV and my tranny dipstick also has a small "T-IV" on it. Any thoughts?
Old 07-30-12, 04:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Are you sure you have the correct owners manual? 1999-2003 ES300 has the U140E, which takes T-IV fluid.
Old 07-30-12, 04:58 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cephas
I'm about to do the drain and fill procedure and I have a question. I have a 1999 3ES and my owner's manual says to refill with Dex III, not T-IV. The guy at the Toyota dealership parts dept also agreed that my model is a Dex III year. On the other hand, I'm hearing here in this thread that 3ES takes T-IV and my tranny dipstick also has a small "T-IV" on it. Any thoughts?
The 99' ES definitely takes Toyota T-IV/ Mobil 3309.

Quick Reply: DIY transmission fluid change