ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

More suspension stuffs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 08:17 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Arrow More suspension stuffs

This has me stumped, when i thought i changed all the major things, i still get a creak/noise/thump [when its cold].

Did some snooping, figuring its the control arm bushings.

Since i'm 'in there' what else would you guys swap?

Here's my 'done' list;
front/rear - new swaybar bushings
front/rear - new endlinks
front/rear - new struts/mounts/springs [monroe quck struts]

Given that i have to take apart the front end for the control arm bushings, i'll just get the new damn things [50$/side Dorman @ RockAuto vs. 30$ per bushing & labor to put in bushings on an 11 year old control arm]
This thread sounds familiar, but those suggestions less the bushings have been done on my warlock... So then next 'logical' step is the control arms.

I'm also thinking tie rod ends, and ball joints for sure - at this point the front end would be 100% 'new'.
The rear [which i'm still hearing noise and other threads point to trailing arm bushings not being the solution] is where i am stumped overall.

Goddamn, there is so many things one can change, lateral link, trailing arms [two arms at 55$ vs. 30$/bushing, again i'll get the new ones]

What else should i be doing? Based on the rockauto catalogue there isn't much more than that...

Thoughts? I just want to be the one to solve the infamous, creak once and for all on these cars!
Old 02-05-12, 08:29 PM
pacheco308
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in my opinion you cant go wrong might as well order the control arms with the tie rods and ball joints for the front end i am planning to swap my whole suspension out once it gets warmer and i have the same problem but i always figured it was these pieces being that they are so old hopefully in changing these you silence the noise. i am as stumped as you are on the rear
Old 02-17-12, 07:30 PM
texcorndog
Driver School Candidate

Its the sway bar links themselves is the problem i think
Old 02-18-12, 11:41 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

My sway bar links are shot, but they don't make a noise?
Old 03-01-12, 05:53 PM
cdasilva
Driver School Candidate

I would like to fix that problem in my 1997 es300. I have just replaced the entire strut kit (4) the whole assy. Now I am looking into replacing the swaybar bushing. I am confused the mechanic is telling me he is not sure and would not want to start there. What should I do? I see everybody replacing the bushing and being it. Please anybody have solve this issue fully. I hear 2010 camrys have the same issue.
Old 03-03-12, 11:03 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the same boat as everyone else. I have a 1997 Lexus ES 300 and I am also suffering with the noise in the back of the car. I am totally sick of it but I don't want to throw big money at doing the rear struts and mounts yet because other have tried this and it hasn't stopped the noise! I even started a thread on this a while back too like many others:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ed-to-fix.html

I have read some possible fixes but I still have the noise!!
I have replaced the trailing arm bushings, the sway bar end links, and the sway bar bushings, and even the exhaust muffler rubber hanger/bushing but I STILL HAVE THE NOISE.
My theory is that it must be a rubber part because the noise is louder when its cold and almost quiet when its hot outside.

VERY FRUSTRATING.
Old 03-05-12, 05:48 PM
cdasilva
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Bumper andd wheels

I would like to know if anyone with the same matter has have their rims replaced like mine. I ride on 16" of course not stock. I have spacers and it will rubber without them also I had my bumper replaced due to a minor accident.??? Anybody had the same done????

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
I am in the same boat as everyone else. I have a 1997 Lexus ES 300 and I am also suffering with the noise in the back of the car. I am totally sick of it but I don't want to throw big money at doing the rear struts and mounts yet because other have tried this and it hasn't stopped the noise! I even started a thread on this a while back too like many others:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ed-to-fix.html

I have read some possible fixes but I still have the noise!!
I have replaced the trailing arm bushings, the sway bar end links, and the sway bar bushings, and even the exhaust muffler rubber hanger/bushing but I STILL HAVE THE NOISE.
My theory is that it must be a rubber part because the noise is louder when its cold and almost quiet when its hot outside.

VERY FRUSTRATING.