ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

92-96 ES : best (economical) suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 03:14 PM
PCH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92-96 ES : best (economical) suspension setup

anyone changed out the struts/springs on their ES300?

i have 188k miles on mine & it just seems like the suspension is not as responsive as it should be. figure it's time i change them out.

just wanted to hear what ppl have done & what worked best for them.

thanks!
Old 02-02-12, 04:11 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

best bang for the buck just get KYB gr2 and any oem springs or eibach springs for a mild drop plus some performance increase
Old 02-02-12, 04:53 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Like mentioned above, just get some KYB's. And replace the struts mounts. Springs are generally good for the life of the vehicle, and don't need to be changed.
Old 02-02-12, 05:03 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

i bet to differ on the springs. old spring lose some of their structural rigidity like all metals do, they become less stiff and would wear out new dampers much faster
Old 02-02-12, 06:30 PM
PCH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EEngineer
best bang for the buck just get KYB gr2 and any oem springs or eibach springs for a mild drop plus some performance increase
Thanks! I'll check out the KYB gr2's. I've had eibachs before many yrs ago when I was into the import/fixup market. Liked them and they really didn't lower the car that much.
Old 02-02-12, 06:31 PM
pacheco308
Driver School Candidate

Default best suspension

yea i would have to also agree after looking around the kyb gr-2 get a lot of good reviews i plan to order some tomorrow morning with some lowering springs
Old 02-02-12, 06:32 PM
PCH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Like mentioned above, just get some KYB's. And replace the struts mounts. Springs are generally good for the life of the vehicle, and don't need to be changed.
Strut mounts: just go with OEM on these or anything that's available?

I figure at 188k on the original suspension, it's time to change it up....if I plan to keep the car going. Suspension is so stiff now.
Old 02-02-12, 06:33 PM
PCH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pacheco308
yea i would have to also agree after looking around the kyb gr-2 get a lot of good reviews i plan to order some tomorrow morning with some lowering springs
which springs are you looking at?
how many miles on your '92? still going strong?
Old 02-02-12, 06:46 PM
pacheco308
Driver School Candidate

Default best suspension

[QUOTE=PCH;6990758]which springs are you looking at?
how many miles on your '92? still going strong?[/QUOTE

i was looking at b and g lowering springs. currently my baby has 228,365. yes she runs real strong never gave me any major issues body and interior show its age but i try to wash it and keep it looking clean and shiny
Old 02-02-12, 06:58 PM
pacheco308
Driver School Candidate

but that's only if i don't decide to go all out and put coilovers on the car not sure yet if i wanna spend that much money on suspension or keep putting it into the motor like i have been
Old 02-02-12, 07:27 PM
TomS209
Driver School Candidate

I went with the Monroe strut assembly. Less than $140 for everything including strut, spring and top cap on Amazon. All I was looking for was a nice stable ride. I don't run it hard around the corners. To me they were the best bang for the buck. About an hour a piece to change (first time for me). Did it by myself and took my time. Good luck.

Tom
Old 02-02-12, 07:56 PM
pacheco308
Driver School Candidate

i found ksport gt lowering springs to possibly go with the 300 dollar kyb gr-2s for 120 on raceinspired.com
Old 02-03-12, 07:55 AM
PCH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TomS209
I went with the Monroe strut assembly. Less than $140 for everything including strut, spring and top cap on Amazon. All I was looking for was a nice stable ride. I don't run it hard around the corners. To me they were the best bang for the buck. About an hour a piece to change (first time for me). Did it by myself and took my time. Good luck.

Tom
Sounds like it worked well for you.
Did you change out the strut mounts as well?
Old 02-03-12, 07:56 AM
PCH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pacheco308
i found ksport gt lowering springs to possibly go with the 300 dollar kyb gr-2s for 120 on raceinspired.com
I saw tokico coilover setup available as well. That includes the struts & springs....might be a lil pricy on a car that's not worth much....but if you plan on keeping the car, it may be worth it.
Old 02-03-12, 08:15 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

i don't recommend K-sport lowering springs.
While I don't have first hand experience with them, but I used a set of their coilovers and the springs of their coilovers were of low quality. peeled very fast and a damper blew within a year. they've upgraded their products but i'm still not too comfortable with their spring quality.

as for monroes, I've heard good things about them. but overall, they are just easy to work with because everything is pre-assembled so you just bolt them on. Can't say much about performance and longevity though.

tokicos are better than KYB-GR2s because they are made to handle lowering springs. pricier as well though, that's why best bang for the buck is still KYB GR2 because they advertise life time warranty. if a damper is gone, just get a new set with the receipt.

Quick Reply: 92-96 ES : best (economical) suspension setup