ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rear Suspension Noise on 97 ES300 - need to fix!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 06:15 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

My bet is strut mounts.\
Old 02-17-12, 07:20 PM
texcorndog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I would bet its the swaybar links!

I had 96 t bird with the same rattling sounds over bumpy roads & the new sb links smoothed out the ride & was super quiet after replacing!

Buy on ebay if u can as they r super cheap!
Old 02-18-12, 03:41 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. sway bar bushings (rear)
2. rear struts and strut mounts
Old 02-27-12, 03:12 PM
smee
Driver

Hey guys!
(1995 ES300)
I myself at times hear some noise from the suspension in cold mornings and such.
I don't know where it comes from, however I plan to replace EVERYTHING that has to do with suspension on this car during the summer (or sooner if money permits).
Anyway, looking at KYB struts, dunno about springs and I will get new strut mounts.
As a start I've been searching ebay for endlinks and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-CAMRY...#ht_1293wt_954

Worth it?
Old 02-27-12, 03:30 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ nah. Those are good when selling a car. I personally cheaped out in the past, and the money I saved had to go towards new parts and labor again. I'd get the good stuff from www.rockauto.com, the best source for everything brand name parts for dirt cheap...
Old 02-27-12, 04:57 PM
smee
Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^^ nah. Those are good when selling a car. I personally cheaped out in the past, and the money I saved had to go towards new parts and labor again. I'd get the good stuff from www.rockauto.com, the best source for everything brand name parts for dirt cheap...
Good to know! I definitely do not want to go cheap. I want to make my 2ES last at least until 250k miles, if not 300k. It is in excellent condition (thread), and the first order of "real" upgrades I plan to do are suspension.
Struts, springs, mounts, swaybar, endlinks, bushings, trail arm, etc... But I want to go with quality parts to get the suspension to the original suspension feel (possibly a little tighter suspension though).

After the suspension, new rotors and wheels come next.

So anyway, thank you for that link! I will be purchasing from that sight for sure!
Old 03-03-12, 11:07 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, an update.....I still have the noise!

I am totally sick of it but I don't want to throw big money at doing the rear struts and mounts yet because other have tried this and it hasn't stopped the noise!

I have replaced:
trailing arm bushings,
the sway bar end links,
sway bar bushings
and even the exhaust muffler rubber hanger/bushing but I STILL HAVE THE NOISE.
My theory is that it must be a rubber part because the noise is louder when its cold and almost quiet when its hot outside.

VERY FRUSTRATING.
Old 03-04-12, 06:33 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

It is the strut mounts.
Old 03-04-12, 11:53 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really trying to avoing doing the struts and mounts because I will be upgrading my car soon and it's very big $$$$ to replace those parts in Australia. The thing is I don't want to sell my car with a noisy rear end either!

I'm going to try one more thing to silence this damn noise - I'm going to spray silicone spray on each of the rear rubber bushings that I haven't already replaced, starting with ONE SECTION AT A TIME. I will then drive around for a day or so between each of the parts being sprayed in an attempt to isolate or locate the particular bushing or part.

Wish me luck!

LEX ES300
Old 03-05-12, 08:09 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
Thanks for all the replies. I'm really trying to avoing doing the struts and mounts because I will be upgrading my car soon and it's very big $$$$ to replace those parts in Australia. The thing is I don't want to sell my car with a noisy rear end either!

I'm going to try one more thing to silence this damn noise - I'm going to spray silicone spray on each of the rear rubber bushings that I haven't already replaced, starting with ONE SECTION AT A TIME. I will then drive around for a day or so between each of the parts being sprayed in an attempt to isolate or locate the particular bushing or part.

Wish me luck!

LEX ES300
One way you can isolate the noise, especially since cold weather brings it out, is to get a heat gun and hold it over the bushing you think may be giving you the problem to warm it up, then drive around or get in the trunk and make the car move up and down and see if the noise is still there.
Old 03-05-12, 10:02 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brucelee1
It is the strut mounts.
ORLY? So is that why my new struts/springs/mounts/bushings/endlinks are still making noise?

Do tell, since that's all you've had to add to this thread without anything viable to back it up.

Originally Posted by LEX ES300

Don't bother with that spray. It won't penetrate the crevices, or mounts - trust me, i've tried.
Old 03-05-12, 06:09 PM
cdasilva
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb wow we need luck

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
ORLY? So is that why my new struts/springs/mounts/bushings/endlinks are still making noise?

Do tell, since that's all you've had to add to this thread without anything viable to back it up.

Don't bother with that spray. It won't penetrate the crevices, or mounts - trust me, i've tried.

I have done the struts along with the mount and springs, there is no excuse to say its the struts. I spent over $800.00 don't spend your money on this issue. I have inspected closly with the mechanic the rear bushing and the exaust hangers as well, we are both sure the bushings are fine. I am going crazy after spending so much money without a good solution. I do 4 miles to work not even enough to heat the bushings. Its just above 30 degres outside. My mechanic does not want me to spend unnesesary money on this. I have checked, the bumper screws and one was loose and I replaced it. I do need the hood struts but my mechanic says it comes from the exhaust area as I have noticed.
Old 04-14-12, 04:44 PM
cdasilva
Driver School Candidate

***************I have very good news guys, I found out what was the noise on the back of my car making the ride unpleasent. First the stupid that placed the rear bumper back on place did not do a very good job making it make a lot of noise second the bolts on the tires were not fitting so good the washers helpped.

Here is the best part, I lifted the car off its suspenssion and placed a hand on each side of the tire on the passenger side rear(RR). Then moved it as if I wanted to take it off, remeber its unsafe to be under the car even thow the rims and tire are still bolted on it.
A noise from the left side of the tire ( as I was looking at it and shaking it) called my attention. I then observed the Right-Rear Control arm was moving toomuch. Remember the same noise could be caused by the wheel bearing. Wich mine has being replaced about 5k ago.
Well, making long story short, we replaced it and that was what all that trouble with sway bar and the links being short was.
Old 04-14-12, 10:19 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Nice I you to post your solution! I was deliberating getting new ones... I'll make an order in a month or two for the rear control arms along with new front ones. After which the only things left would be trailing arms... I'm going to tackle this one thing at a time!
Old 04-20-12, 04:35 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Ok, so another UPDATE from me....THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!! In additon to all the parts I have already replaced (as documented in this thread), I have now replaced the rear cushion mounts. I was hoping that this may finally put an end to the issue because no one in any of the threads has ever replaced them and I hoping that this would be the magic solution but no.......THE NOISE IS STILL THERE!!

My mechanic is getting sick of me and tells me not to worry about it, but I want it fixed. Took it to another mechanic who drove my car around , he tested the struts which he says are ok, but he suspects the rear strut mounts which I admit I haven't replaced at this stage, but would this really fix the creaking noise? I can understand that it may fix a knocking noise, but would it really solve the creaking noise??

I am considering just replacing the rear control arms too, but neither mechanic says their bad, so I guess I will have to finally go ahead and replace the rear strut mounts then!!??? I am selling my car too, but I don't want to sell it with this horrible noise that happens when its cold.

Because I am selling it I don't really mind if I buy some aftermarket strut mounts, so which aftermarket ones are good?

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Noise on 97 ES300 - need to fix!