ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

change oil light on can not get it to go off

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 05:22 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change oil light on can not get it to go off

I have done everything I have read trying to reset this thing and can not get it to go out....

Unhooked battery for a hour ...nothing

removed ecu fuses for 30 mins ...nothing

hold odo/trip button turn on ign ...hold for long time ....I mean long time nothing happens at all

anyone got any clue hopw to reset this?
Old 11-09-11, 08:16 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

Default ok still no luck with this ......

I have done everything I can find on this forum to do trying to fix this .....unhook battery for a hour ,pull efi fuse - with battery dissconected at the time even , push odo trip meter button turn key to on ..hold for ever nothing turn key off -repete over and over ---nothing.

set to trip a same thing ,trip b same thing .....how in the world do you turn off the change oil light on a 92 lexus es300?
Old 11-09-11, 09:04 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change Oil or Check Oil light?

I am sure you did this but how is the oil level?
Old 11-09-11, 10:48 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

oil checks fine ...
Old 11-10-11, 06:20 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not aware the ES300/330 has a "change oil" light.....
Old 11-10-11, 07:01 AM
johnblagg
Rookie

Originally Posted by BDSL
I am not aware the ES300/330 has a "change oil" light.....
well the actual oil trouble light isa red orange color and on the left side and this is a yellow orange light that looks like a oil can on the right?

starting on the left hand side it goes ....Battery light ,oil light "red orange color" some empty space then -- air bag light ,check engine light,and last I assume oil change light "yellow orange color" oil change light looks just like oil trouble light except a different color.
Old 11-10-11, 10:13 AM
johnblagg
Rookie

....Ok this morning for a while both lights were out ...drove a few miles to the store and back and they come back on ....
Pulled the codes and I get 52 and 55 knock sensors fault ....but it drives great ,or lol at least I think so plenty of power not stalls shifts well ....abs light and air bag lights are on as well and the friend I bought it from tells me he had pulled the cluster to replace a bulb and caused the air bag light issue and Im realy not worried about that one anyways at the moment.

I pulled the efi fuse to see it it would clear the codes I did the ec and t1 to read asb and trac codes ect and get nothing when I do that od light blinks non stop is all

any help would be appreciated....oh I did add a can of sea foam to the fuel and am thinking of seafoaming the oil and a change next anyone think a seafoam treatment through the intake vacume lines might help?
Old 11-10-11, 04:16 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

ok it gets stranger yet ....with codes 52 and 55 which I read out and understand to be both knock sensors...Overdrive should not work at all but it works fine lol took a while to find that little camoflaged button on the shift lever but when I did it seems to kick in and out just fine ,at least when it is turned on or off the car shifts with a solid change......

Again anyone got any ideas here? Everything in the car works but a few things seem strange such as every time it is started the heat / a/c is always reset to ac and recirculate instead of where I set it last...

I also could not get abs light to go off when folling reset intructions for it either.....ec and te1 I think and hit break pedal 8 times within 3 seconds?

Last edited by johnblagg; 11-10-11 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-10-11, 09:44 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Can you post a pic of the light, I never seen it and can't figure out what you are seeing.
Old 11-11-11, 05:43 AM
johnblagg
Rookie

ok now I feel stupid ...mabe its a check water level light? I just went to take the picture and was thinking if it does not have a change oil light what is it and could have slapped myself since under the light is a line representing water....

hmmm water level looks ok and its not running hot....check engine light went out this morning for a while and it did also then came back a bit later ...but it was cold and by the time I got to the store 2 miles away they came back on
Attached Thumbnails change oil light on can not get it to go off-lights.jpg  
Old 11-11-11, 07:14 AM
johnblagg
Rookie

sorry for the misinformation about the light ....I just bought the car monday and the guy I bought it from said it was the light that comes on when due for a oil change ...unfortunaly I did not get a owners manual with the car and assumed he knew what he was talking about .

Now I will be looking for a new coolant res tank and sensor ....the old one is starting to do the fall apart from age thing ,still holds water but will fall apart in a year or so
Old 11-11-11, 03:11 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

No worries, Brother that is why were here to help.

Before you start spending money, check the connections on the sensor, it may have jogged loose or corroded. Try cleaning it and re-solder if needed. When a there is a loos connection it will result in a fault and display the light you are finding. Try jumping the wires to see if turns off the light, that is another test.

Jim
Old 11-11-11, 04:04 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

....lol I have not been able to find a coolant level sensor anywhere ...took the res tank off to clean it and no such animal living in it.

still finding it strange all these lights are lit up on the dash but the car is not in limp mode. Overdrive is working fine even with the code 52 and 55 for knock sensors stored in it ...abs light is on as well but they said they replaced front drive axles and struts so Im guessing they messed up speed sensors or did not hook them up.

This car drives great lol I will be going through the problems one at a time and fixing them ...
Old 11-11-11, 05:50 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

Ok doing hours of reading looking up warning lights on this model and I come up with the possibility this is the low oil level light not a coolant level indicator ....when I check the oil it is just where its supposed to be ...hmmm I need a owners manual badly I guess
Old 11-12-11, 08:25 AM
Tpcorr
Rookie

John, if you go to the lexus.com site and plug in your vin number, you can view the owners manual online.

Tom

Quick Reply: change oil light on can not get it to go off