ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Speakers!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 01:46 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Speakers!!

Okay I took the plunge and installed new speakers to the stock Pioneer head unit and amp. The consensus I took from here was that it wouldn't make a difference. Well, maybe I got lucky but it didn't just make a difference, it made a major difference. I installed Boston Acoustics SE series speakers. Coax in the rear and components in front. Still have the stock sub for the moment. The SE series speakers are designed for stock or mid to low powered head units. They are rated at 35 watts rms but can handle up to 100 watts rms. That may be the difference. The mid range and high end are much more open and transparent new and the harshness that was apparent in the mid to high end is completely gone.

This took me less than 2 hours total and it made a major improvement in sound so if anyone was wondering... it's well worth the effort to do this.

The stock rear speakers are approx. 6" and a single cone that produces full range sound. In the front doors you have a 6.5" driver that produces full range sound and a tweeter that handles high frequency only. The harshness had to be the full range drivers breaking up as they attempted to reproduce the whole sound spectrum. Now I have true two-way speakers front and rear and it's readily apparent. If you were thinking about it... do it!
Old 09-27-11, 07:38 PM
dmight
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal! You didn't skimp any on the speakers and got very good ones. I just put mid cost range Pioneers back in my ES and was very pleased with the improvement of the sound (still need to do the front door speakers, no sub) and I'm not all that much on car audio. So I know you must be enjoying your upgrade. Car speakers take so much abuse! Extreme heat then cold, concussion from compressed air when closing doors and trunk lids, dust, moisture, etc.
Old 09-29-11, 03:58 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

you cannot have a speaker rated at 35rms, and 100 rms max. the 100 is just peak. the original speakers were 15 watts i believe peak, so the speakers can handle more, and also, the composition of the speaker may be alot better. Regardless, you are limited to the output the speaker can produce from the factory amp. they are configured to work factory. you are still going to get the distortion because the amp is not changed. power of speakers is only how loud they get before they distort. the higher the RMS, the clearer it will be at loud volumes.

if i were you, i would at least upgrade to a new HU. Built in amp is alot better than the factory one you have.
Old 09-29-11, 04:09 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

You are correct on the power handling but apparently misunderstood in regards to the speakers themselves. The stock speakers for the ES uses a 6.5" driver in the front door that is full range and has a tweeter in the sail panel. A 6.5" driver will sound harsh trying to reproduce frequencies over about 12k-15k. The Boston speakers are a true two way design with the 6.5" driver producing clean sound and crossing over to the tweeter before it begins to break up. I was not referring to volume I was referring to the quality of the sound.
Old 09-29-11, 04:39 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Stock speakers are 5.25. It suits a 6.5 just fine though. Stocks had a tweeter too, just no crossover. But essentially, you are getting the same power, just better quality slightly. Still should upgrade amp tho lol
Old 09-29-11, 04:55 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Amp and HU will both be upgraded. The speakers were first because it was the simplest thing to do and made a tangible difference. Already have a sub amp. Need to determine which sub I'm going to get.
Old 09-29-11, 05:29 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Sq or spl?
Old 09-29-11, 05:49 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

I'm going to install it in the stock location, I don't expect spl from an 8" sub. I prefer sound quality anyway. Looking into either an Image Dynamics ID V.3 or a JL Audio 8W1V2. Main amp will be approx. 50 watts rms per channel. Sub amp is an Alpine bridged to 130 watts rms.
Old 09-29-11, 06:45 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Noob question: If you replace the amp, do you have get an aftermarket headunit as well? I love the look of stock radios, too bad there aren't any clean looking headunits on the market.
Old 09-29-11, 06:49 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

I don't know of a way to hook up an amp line-level but most amps have speaker level inputs so yes you can use an aftermarket amp with the stock head unit.
Old 09-30-11, 08:35 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdbrown
I'm going to install it in the stock location, I don't expect spl from an 8" sub. I prefer sound quality anyway. Looking into either an Image Dynamics ID V.3 or a JL Audio 8W1V2. Main amp will be approx. 50 watts rms per channel. Sub amp is an Alpine bridged to 130 watts rms.
SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE. free air subs are terrible especially if it wasnt designed for that. just put it in a sealed box in the trunk. trust me, you will thank me later.

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Noob question: If you replace the amp, do you have get an aftermarket headunit as well? I love the look of stock radios, too bad there aren't any clean looking headunits on the market.
Line out convertor. There are MANY nice HUs out there. just look around.