ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Timing Belt advice

Old 09-20-11, 09:22 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Timing Belt advice

My 2001 ES300 with 90k miles is due for it's first scheduled timing belt change. My local Lexus dealers all advised me that I just need to change the timing belt, oil seals, and the 2 drive belts. They stated that unless they find specific evidence of coolant leaks, or noisy Water Pump bearings they wouldn't change the water pump, nor would they change the tensioner unless it shows evidence of wear.

They all concurred that this particular model does not historically exhibit problems with these components, and that I should save my money and do a complete job only at the next scheduled timing belt change (180k Miles)

In other words except for the timing belt, the oil seals, and the 2 drive belts, other components should only be changed on a case by case basis after having been examined to determine their condition.

I, on the other hand was planning on doing the complete job, including water pump and tensioner. I'm not however looking to spend more money than I need to.

So are the Lexus dealers that I spoke to right?

Any Lexus Mechanics care to chime in?

Thanks

Last edited by PFB; 09-20-11 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-20-11, 10:31 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm old school and would change the waterpump and tensioner. OTOH, many here have stated that the waterpump is categorically not an issue at 90k miles. If you want to hedge your bets then leave the waterpump but yes, I most definitely would change the tensioner... but that's just me.
Old 09-20-11, 11:12 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This is my experience with my 97 ES300.

The water pump and tensioner were fine.
At roughly 250,000 km, the water pump started leaking...but very slow.
I changed all seals, tensioner, water pump, idlers, etc....at 300,000 km.

Keep in mind that all seals, tensioner, and water pump were original since 0 km.
The other parts might last longer but since I was there and the parts had 300,000 km, I replaced them all.
The only thing that failed was the water pump.
Old 09-20-11, 11:50 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
This is my experience with my 97 ES300.

The water pump and tensioner were fine.
At roughly 250,000 km, the water pump started leaking...but very slow.
I changed all seals, tensioner, water pump, idlers, etc....at 300,000 km.

Keep in mind that all seals, tensioner, and water pump were original since 0 km.
The other parts might last longer but since I was there and the parts had 300,000 km, I replaced them all.
The only thing that failed was the water pump.
oo wow that did last a long time ..i would wait too..meh
Old 09-20-11, 11:51 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The dealers only change the belt - this is correct.

I'm not sure what the recommended procedure is with other makes -- obviously if the other parts are going to be replaced at 90k then you design them accordingly.

I have one ES300 with 175k and one with 225k and they both have only had the belts replaced -- You never hear about the w/pumps or the tensioners failing?

Personally -- I would just replace the belt and anything I did replace I would make sure I used OE parts. What I find really stupid is to replace these parts and then use aftermarket
Old 09-20-11, 12:35 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The dealers only change the belt - this is correct.

I'm not sure what the recommended procedure is with other makes -- obviously if the other parts are going to be replaced at 90k then you design them accordingly.

I have one ES300 with 175k and one with 225k and they both have only had the belts replaced -- You never hear about the w/pumps or the tensioners failing?

Personally -- I would just replace the belt and anything I did replace I would make sure I used OE parts. What I find really stupid is to replace these parts and then use aftermarket
On this I would agree, if you replace any of these parts use OE parts only.
Old 09-20-11, 12:48 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I would replace everything, just due to age.
Old 09-20-11, 04:49 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealership is correct. no need to replace the wp at 90k
Old 09-20-11, 09:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

I think the dealer has things a bit backwards. The cam and crankshaft seals should be changed @90k miles only if the engine has not had regular oil changes. If it has, it is highly unlikely the seals will be leaking. The water pump can be left alone unless it shows signs of wear.

When they say tensioner, are they talking about the hydraulic tensioner, or the tensioner bearing? Definitely replace both idler and tensioner bearings, the hydraulic tensioner only needs to be replaced if it is leaking.
Old 09-21-11, 11:21 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Its going in tomorrow to the Lexus dealer for the timing belt change. From all the replies I received including the original advise that I was given by Several Lexus dealers I decided to play it by ear and to make a final decision on what to replace based on visual inspection.

I'll post what happened once the job is complete

Thank you for everyones feedback
Old 09-22-11, 11:06 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Just came home with the carv and as promised this is the conclusion of my timing belt service at the Lexus dealer.

Took them less than 3hrs to complete the job, including the free carwash but they charged me their book value of 4hrs instead of the actual time. Before proceeding they said that once they have everything open they will call me so that I can see exactly what they will be changing and why. Less than 50 minutes later they said that I can come and have a look. This is what in saw:

The water pump was weeping very slightly so they highly recomended that it be changed. The 2 drive belts were dry so they recommended that I change these as well. They recommended against changing the 3 oil seals or the tensioner as they looked fine. The timing belt was still perfect but obviously they were changing it.

I felt fine about not changing the tensioner, but insisted that the 3 oil seals be changed. So total cost out the door for the timing belt, 3 oil seals, water pump, gasket, and coolant was $800.00

Their service was superb..
Old 09-22-11, 01:01 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Don't be too hard on them for charging you the book time rather than the actual time. There are many jobs that book time really is too little... in those instances they still charge the book time...
Old 09-22-11, 01:08 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad it worked out:

These things also have an age factor -- if both your timing belt and the two drive belts are original they are overdue. Especially the drive belts -- I'm surprised that you did not have any problems with them.

Also -- If the car has the original coolant -- I would change it out now that you have the new pump installed. The additives in the coolant help to maintain the pump and seals.

Interesting to hear about the T - Belt -- mine always look fine also.
Old 09-22-11, 01:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Wow that's actually a very good price for a dealer with OEM parts. I think you made the right decision.
Old 09-23-11, 11:38 AM
Aqualung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a real good price, my mechanic says $1100...says they buy the 'kit' from Lexus which comes w/ everything needed (TB, WP, etc).

My 'new' ES has 125k miles, I'm kinda old school as well (like mdbrown) and figure once it's open, that it's best to replace everything...plus it seems that most of this is labor to get everything open.

Good tip on the coolant, I'll verify that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt advice