ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Advice sought, 2001 ES 300

Old 09-16-11, 06:29 AM
Aqualung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice sought, 2001 ES 300

hi folks,

Lexus newbie here...I've read the newbie thread and gone back about 50+ pages in this forum...but am seeking your advice...

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2001 ES 300 w/ 110k miles for ~$6,500k. Seems to be in great shape mechanically, my mechanic has been servicing it and states that the owner just did a brake overhaul last winter.

Clean inside, but could stand a detailing.

The timing belt/WP has not been done, it seems like that will be a $600-$800 job?

And, cosmetically, there's a 4-5" rust patch above the right rear tire, in the quarter panel. I didn't see a lot of rust mentions here, is this common, or indicative of a problem?

Anything special I should look for, ask about?

Were there any trim levels, options, etc that I should make sure it has?

Also, when driving I noticed that there was a little 'play' in the steering wheel when at center. Didn't cause the tires to change direction, but a little 'softer' than I'm used to. Is this a Lexus thing?

Thanks everyone,

Chris
Old 09-16-11, 06:45 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure about the steering but you need to know the maintenance history. If they neglected to the timing belt by 20,000 miles I would be very worried that they didn't bother doing the oil changes at the right time and this motor is a sludge motor if not properly maintained. Otherwise, I paid $7000 for a 2000 ES with 138k miles and am very happy with it.
Old 09-16-11, 06:51 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

well with that much mileage the timing belt et al should be changed..price may vary but ya..but seems about right.
also the rust is common i have heard in that area. you should get it fixed
well there is special edition called coach edition..it has some goodies like HID lights, wheels, coach badge n on interior has perforated seats and.or heated ..
why dont post a few pictures. We can tell a lot from the pictures.
i dont know what u mean by "play" in the steering wheel. If in doubt make sure the tires are aligned/balanced but in terms of softness, its a Lexus thing..
If u want try to test drive a similar Es300 in ur area n hopefully u can compare the difference ..thats what i did when i purchased my Es300
Make sure u ask for history/record to see how the car was maintained.
Other than that i think u should be good
I m guessing the car is privately sold..in any case do post some pictures.
good luck
Old 09-16-11, 09:38 AM
polatok
Driver School Candidate

first off, let me admit, im pretty cheap, but still, the price seems a bit high to me. theres a lot of variables in buying a car, since everybody is unique. I dont mind putting a little time in after buying a car and saving myself couple of thousands doing it that way. I think true market value for your car should be around $4500-5500 range in MA. To give you couple of guidelines, im in ny. Bought my 97 with 129k miles with a dent in the rear quarter panel, valve cover gasket leaking a bit, a shake at 60 mph or so, audio lcd half messed up and driver seat stiching off for $1800. i've spent exactly 500 to change front brakes and left front caliper, fix the qtr panel/paint(cheap job, didnt need to be perfect) and front wheels balanced/allignment done. only thing left now is getting the left rear tailight, oil change and a wash!

2nd, I found one for my friend whos picking it up today, 97 es300 with 87k miles for $3000, good clean body, heated seats, stiching off on both front seats, lcd bulbs out but lcd works, front pass seat bolts are loose, no leaks around the engine, dealer changed timing belt last year, needs an allignment and steering feels kind of stiffer,(most prolly a fluid issue im thinking but willing to roll the dice), interior dome light and trunk lights are out, missing center caps on wheels and mismatched tires. I'll get a closer look/fix it this weekend, so im sure couple of more issues will come up, but thats still pretty low in my opinion. its 4 years older compared to yours but 30k less miles also. car prices tend to b arnd the same level between boston and ny, so which is why im rationalizing yours to be a bit more pricier than usual.

Again, im giving you these as a guideline, but if your car is exceptionally clean all around and you feel spritually connected with it, then you should pull the trigger.
Old 09-16-11, 09:51 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Since the Timing and WP hasn't been done i would ask the seller to knock off about 1k. It cost me around 1k to get mine done when i hit 90k....
Old 09-16-11, 10:01 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

I concur to a point, I certainly would ask for money off since the timing belt hasn't been done. If you purchase the car, money off or not... do it RIGHT AWAY!! If the car is in truly good condition (mine is pristine with only a few very minor flaws) then $6500 isn't too high at all although you should still knock some off for the timing belt. I am speaking from my perspective though, if you want to know the market value then you need to search for similiar vehicles in YOUR area. Good luck and I will say that I am still very much in awe of my ES...
Old 09-16-11, 10:44 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Overpriced in my opinion, especially with the rust issue. Maybe that's par for the course in MA, but a 4-5" area of rust is pretty significant, imo. There's probably a lot more you don't see. I would also check the VIN history through something like CarFax it may have been in a wreck or fender bender (which could also explain the weird steering issue)

These cars are a dime a dozen, I would take my time and find a really good one. If the car was in "perfect" shape the $6500 would be a good starting point for that year and miles.
Old 09-16-11, 03:05 PM
Aqualung
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick input folks, responses below...

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Not sure about the steering but you need to know the maintenance history. If they neglected to the timing belt by 20,000 miles I would be very worried that they didn't bother doing the oil changes at the right time and this motor is a sludge motor if not properly maintained. Otherwise, I paid $7000 for a 2000 ES with 138k miles and am very happy with it.
Thanks, interesting thing is that my mechanic hooked us up, and he was reciting from the car records...said the owner is pretty fastidious, complete brake job & tires last winter, but not TB.

Originally Posted by imherenow
well with that much mileage the timing belt et al should be changed..price may vary but ya..but seems about right.
also the rust is common i have heard in that area. you should get it fixed
well there is special edition called coach edition..it has some goodies like HID lights, wheels, coach badge n on interior has perforated seats and.or heated ..
why dont post a few pictures. We can tell a lot from the pictures.
i dont know what u mean by "play" in the steering wheel. If in doubt make sure the tires are aligned/balanced but in terms of softness, its a Lexus thing..
If u want try to test drive a similar Es300 in ur area n hopefully u can compare the difference ..thats what i did when i purchased my Es300
Make sure u ask for history/record to see how the car was maintained.
Other than that i think u should be good
I m guessing the car is privately sold..in any case do post some pictures.
good luck
Thanks, I am going to bring the wife to see it tmrw, will try to grab some pix...I think your 'softness' is more accurate, in fact starting today I'm borrowing my neighbor's 2003 ES300 and I see that the 'softness' is there as well. The car still tracks straight & true.

Yes, it's privately sold...A quick look on KBB says $7275 or so for 'private party transaction (I don't think it's a Coach edition)

Originally Posted by polatok
first off, let me admit, im pretty cheap, but still, the price seems a bit high to me. theres a lot of variables in buying a car, since everybody is unique. I dont mind putting a little time in after buying a car and saving myself couple of thousands doing it that way. I think true market value for your car should be around $4500-5500 range in MA. To give you couple of guidelines, im in ny. Bought my 97 with 129k miles with a dent in the rear quarter panel, valve cover gasket leaking a bit, a shake at 60 mph or so, audio lcd half messed up and driver seat stiching off for $1800. i've spent exactly 500 to change front brakes and left front caliper, fix the qtr panel/paint(cheap job, didnt need to be perfect) and front wheels balanced/allignment done. only thing left now is getting the left rear tailight, oil change and a wash!

2nd, I found one for my friend whos picking it up today, 97 es300 with 87k miles for $3000, good clean body, heated seats, stiching off on both front seats, lcd bulbs out but lcd works, front pass seat bolts are loose, no leaks around the engine, dealer changed timing belt last year, needs an allignment and steering feels kind of stiffer,(most prolly a fluid issue im thinking but willing to roll the dice), interior dome light and trunk lights are out, missing center caps on wheels and mismatched tires. I'll get a closer look/fix it this weekend, so im sure couple of more issues will come up, but thats still pretty low in my opinion. its 4 years older compared to yours but 30k less miles also. car prices tend to b arnd the same level between boston and ny, so which is why im rationalizing yours to be a bit more pricier than usual.

Again, im giving you these as a guideline, but if your car is exceptionally clean all around and you feel spritually connected with it, then you should pull the trigger.
well, I'm more like you, a bit of a 'squeak' when it comes to opening up my wallet, so I do share the concern over the TB cost.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Since the Timing and WP hasn't been done i would ask the seller to knock off about 1k. It cost me around 1k to get mine done when i hit 90k....
That sounds about right, thanks.

Originally Posted by mdbrown
I concur to a point, I certainly would ask for money off since the timing belt hasn't been done. If you purchase the car, money off or not... do it RIGHT AWAY!! If the car is in truly good condition (mine is pristine with only a few very minor flaws) then $6500 isn't too high at all although you should still knock some off for the timing belt. I am speaking from my perspective though, if you want to know the market value then you need to search for similiar vehicles in YOUR area. Good luck and I will say that I am still very much in awe of my ES...
Thanks, that's good to know.

Originally Posted by BradTank
Overpriced in my opinion, especially with the rust issue. Maybe that's par for the course in MA, but a 4-5" area of rust is pretty significant, imo. There's probably a lot more you don't see. I would also check the VIN history through something like CarFax it may have been in a wreck or fender bender (which could also explain the weird steering issue)

These cars are a dime a dozen, I would take my time and find a really good one. If the car was in "perfect" shape the $6500 would be a good starting point for that year and miles.
Thanks...yeah that above-mentioned neighbor's ES also has rust, but on this one it's on the driver door edge, below the mid-point trim, and along the bottom of the door, also above the trim.
Old 09-18-11, 02:12 PM
Aqualung
Driver School Candidate

OK, had a chance to look at it more yesterday, and took some pix, posted below. The rust is behind the right rear tire, you can see more detail.

The owner states that the TB/WP was done, and he showed me the receipt for total brake & hose work done last winter.

He's offering it to me for $6500, I'm inclined to take it, despite the rust. My commute is only 4 miles RT per day, so I figure this should last me a long time.

Any other thoughts welcome, thanks...Chris

1. Here's the rust spot

2. You can see its exact location here

3. Pardon the ugly plate # editing...

4. Aside from the rust spot, the rest of the car appears to be in good shape.

7. The leather appears to be in fantastic shape...just a little cracking on the driver's seat side bolster; my wife's '08 CRV is in much worse shape w/ <50k miles on it, guess it speaks to the quality, eh?

8. I'll probably get it detailed to clean it up a bit, esp. the carpets...new mats are in order.

Last edited by Aqualung; 09-18-11 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-18-11, 02:22 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

That looks like a nice, clean car. Get that rust taken care of and you likely could drive this car as long as you want to. I'd pay $6500 for it.
Old 09-18-11, 04:02 PM
Aqualung
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear it, thanks...
Old 09-18-11, 05:56 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

X2 on 6500$

Although i'd strive to do better, given it needs service... try 5600?

I'm cheap too...
Old 09-18-11, 06:05 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Look's awesome! $6500 sounds like a great deal!! But it doesn't hurt to try and negotiate, try $6000.
Old 09-18-11, 07:52 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the interior looks surprisingly clean but def needs body work which is ok considering the car doenst has lotta major cosmetic issue..but m jealous of the wood steering wheel..Did u do carfax report on it?...try 6000 or settle down between 6000-6500..goodluck
Old 09-18-11, 08:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

The car looks very nice, sans the rust spot which will not be that difficult to repair. The leather, damn near perfect, better than mine for sure. Another place to check for rust is underneath the cladding right in front of the rear wheel, the small piece. Water and dirt accumulate there very easily. A sign of rust there is the seam will be separating, sometimes pushing the cladding out a bit and deforming it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice sought, 2001 ES 300