ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cleaned My Seats with Leatherique!

Old 09-10-11, 09:11 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Cleaned My Seats with Leatherique!

If you don't know about this product, you should definitely try it out. It's the best leather cleaner/conditioner on the market. The way it works is that you apply their Rejuvenator Oil to any leather surface and let it sit in the Sun for a few hours. The special oil penetrates into the leather and pushes all the dirt to the surface, which allows you to clean it all up later with their Prestine Clean. I bought their 16oz kit from AutoGeek.net and it was enough for a coupe and my ES. I still have a little bit left, but it's not enough for a complete job. I highly recommend it.

Here is a link to AutoGeek's Leatherique Page
http://www.autogeek.net/leleca.html?...FQnc4AodgDtD0w

I got lucky, most 13 year old cars don't look this good. Sorry for the mismatched angles, I was going off of my memory, and the after shots were taken about two weeks later.

Top of the Steering Wheel

Gear Shift

Armrest

Driver Seatback

Driver Side Bolster

Driver Bottom Bolster

Driver Bottom Cushion

Driver Door Handle

Driver Rear Passenger Door

Rear Cushion from the Passenger Side

Passenger Bottom Cushion

Last edited by Hayk; 09-10-11 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 09:31 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like it did a knockout job. I am fortunate that my car, although 12 years old, was well cared for and the interior is in almost mint condition. I use Lexol on it, that is a carryover from my BMW days. I have been using Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner since 1993... I highly recommend it.

Congrats on the car though, it looks good.
Old 09-10-11, 09:36 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I have Lexol as well, but I only use it on surfaces that are already relatively clean. Leatherique is great for a more thorough cleaning.
Old 09-10-11, 09:36 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

came out amazing! i heard of this and its prolly only the 2nd time Ive seen it used
Old 09-10-11, 10:31 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Here are some pictures of the actual application, for anyone who cares.

Old 09-11-11, 04:18 AM
juvenchan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it look pretty good..
i should go get 1 set
Old 09-11-11, 01:07 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

So, do you just apply this 'wet' and let it sit for x amount of hours? Followed by a wipe down i assume?

My seats are relatively clean, but being black its hard to tell if theyre ever dirty...
Old 09-11-11, 02:10 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Yeah you just need to vacuum all the loose dirt before the appllication. The products leave a sticky residue, so you need to wipe everything clean with a wet rag afterwards.
Old 09-11-11, 06:09 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ that's easy enough! Hos much does one kit last? One interior? I'd like to do two cars...
Old 09-11-11, 07:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Leatherique is a great product, it made my seats butter soft and perfectly clean. I've used it twice now, and I should have enough for one more application. I just did the 2nd yesterday and finished up today, the second treatment really, really softened the leather and made it look incredible. I like the fact that after you're done, there is no excess shine or any greasy feeling, the leather just feels perfect.

Applying it goes something like this:
  • Vacuum, then clean the seats with a quality rag and water.
  • Apply the rejuvinator oil, working it into the seams and folds of the leather
  • Park the car in the sun for a day, a good hot day is best, it will "bake" the oils into the leather
  • Wipe up the haze/residue with a clean cloth and plain water, I used a damp cloth but not too damp. If your seats were really dirty, make sure to frequently rinse out the cloth in clean water.
  • Apply the pristine clean in much the same way you did in the 1st step. I do the entire interior, then go back and buff the leather with a dry, clean cloth.

The results are spectacular to say the least, the only downside I've found is it can tend to accentuate any cracks in the dye, this is because the leather is now moisture rich which darkens the hide and makes the flaws stand out more. It just gives me more motivation to fix the cracks. I guess another downside is the cost, it's not outrageously priced but more than your run of the mill stuff.
Old 09-11-11, 08:11 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

My 16oz kit was $60 and it lasts for about two application - depending on how liberal you are with that stuff. I also recommend that you use you a brush and plastic cup instead of your hands, when applying the oil.

The results aren't so visually dramatic, aside from the driver seat, but you will definitely FEEL the difference. The leather is much softer and the greasy gloss is gone, it feels like a new car.
Old 09-11-11, 08:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

I used a latex glove, and a spray nozzle from a Mothers product of some kind, it threads onto the Leatherique bottle. I have the same kit, 16oz, 2-3 applications is probably typical. I have a bit less of the oil than the cleaner.

A brush is probably much better to use if your seats are very dirty, mine were already mostly clean (thought they were 100% clean but were not) when I did the first application.
Old 11-29-11, 07:11 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow Mrbobby i really like the results and now m thinking of buying and but i iwll apply during summer i guess ..in any case did u also apply in the steering wheel airbag center too? and also did u apply @ back of front driver & passenger seats too?.. for how long u left it during the day..i guess leave it for entire day and in evening remove it and apply the conditioner i suppose?..,also can u apply it on the dashboard too?
did u find any difference when u sit on it..bcoz i have read that ppl find the seats more "softer" thean before..was this in ur case?
oo mnn m like drooling after seeing ur results..:P

Last edited by imherenow; 11-29-11 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 05:47 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imherenow
wow Mrbobby i really like the results and now m thinking of buying and but i iwll apply during summer i guess ..in any case did u also apply in the steering wheel airbag center too? and also did u apply @ back of front driver & passenger seats too?.. for how long u left it during the day..i guess leave it for entire day and in evening remove it and apply the conditioner i suppose?..,also can u apply it on the dashboard too?
did u find any difference when u sit on it..bcoz i have read that ppl find the seats more "softer" thean before..was this in ur case?
oo mnn m like drooling after seeing ur results..:P
I only applied it to leather covered portions because it penetrates into the pores and pushes the dirt out. Parts like the airbag cover and the dash will not see the same results as your seats, so I did not apply it on there. I did it during the summer and left it on for the whole time that the sun was out, the idea is to create a sauna inside. I started the clean up just a little before sunset. The warmer the leather gets, the easier it is to clean, because it gets soft and opens its pores (just like your skin). Oh and yes I also did it to the back of the seats.

I noticed that my steering wheel, shifter, and some other parts became tacky, but that was all because of user error. I completely messed up and did not remove the oil with water before applying the conditioner (Pristine Clean). Instead, I started cleaning the seats with Pristine Clean, thinking that it would remove all the oil.

Just make sure that you don't make the same mistake I did, and you'll be good.

The other problem I noticed is that I made a mess on my carpets, the excess oil stained them a little bit. Fortunately, I was planning to clean the carpets anyway, so I was able to remove all the stains later - which you can see in my other thread about using the Rug Doctor.

Oh and yes, the leather definitely felt softer to the touch afterwards.