ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Toyota Camry TRD supercharger ?? ? Will it fit 97-01

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 03:10 AM
talalhz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Camry TRD supercharger ?? ? Will it fit 97-01

Hi,

I was wondering if the TRD V6 Supercharger would fit on the 97-01 ES300, if it has the Same intake manifold, semilar throtle body, I see no reason for it not to fit ? I'm open to suggestion ( you can get technical with me No Worries)

Thanks for your respond.

talalhz@yahoo.com

Talal.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Camry TRD supercharger ?? ? Will it fit 97-01-i-2_b_l.jpg  
Old 09-15-02, 04:20 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People have discussed this before, and I think it's likely to work with cars without VVT-i (can't remember whether that debuted in 98 or 99). I'm not an expert by any means, I just remember that before the ES got VVT-i, the V6 Camry, Avalon and ES had practically identical engines. Not sure if it can be made to work in VVT-i cars.
Old 09-15-02, 05:26 PM
talalhz
Driver

Well I see no reason for it not to work on the VVT-i, all that means is the lift on the cams at higher RPMs, I think it would work on the VVT-i's, cuz I'm thinking about buying an ES, just as a car to drive on the side to work and back + 100 miles a day, but I don't want something slow, so if I could superchrge it, nothing would stop me from buying one, I owned one in 95 and it was great in the freeway but handled bad on corners. ! Oh well

Old 09-15-02, 06:36 PM
01M3
Rookie

I had actually researched the topic in depth about 6 months ago and came close to trying it but chose the TV Monitor and DVD player instead. But anyway, it should fit in the engine with little or no modifications, the problem is the ECU. I'm not really sure what the problem is with it, I just know you would barely see any gain because the ECU does not know the supercharger is present, therefore no changes are made to the intake of air etc. I beleive a stand alone ECU would do the job, you would also probably have to change the fuel management system

Last edited by 01M3; 09-15-02 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-19-02, 03:39 AM
Luc
Pit Crew

The TRD S/C should be able to fit the '97 and '98 V6 without any problems. I compared my friend's '98 ES300 with my S/C'd '98 Camry and everything is the same. Starting in '99, the engine was changed to VVTi and dual throttle bodies were present, thus, making the S/C connection with the throttle bodies incompatible. With the S/C, there is an EBC, Electronic Boost Controller, that gets attached to the ECU and II2 harness. The EBC disables boost in first gear and between shifts because of the automatic transmission. True, the ECU does not "perceive" that the S/C is present, but it will adjust the air/fuel mixture depending on the amount of air that is going into the engine. An APEXi S-AFC can be tapped with the ECU to manually adjust the air/fuel mixture to lean/richen as well to extract as much HP out as possible. The stock S/C pulley only puts out 4psi, and the consent is that anything over 6psi will require better internals, fuel management, etc., since the 1MZ-FE has a standard 10.5:1 compression ratio. There are a few Camry/Solara owners with a 7psi pulley, but no more power gain compared to a 5.5psi pulley, given similar upgrades such as y-pipe and cat-back.

Luc
Old 09-22-02, 01:42 AM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have no doubt in my mind that it will not fit. i am almost 100% positive it will fit. a supercharger for the older generations is in process. it should be on its way in a year or two. i hope.
Old 09-22-02, 02:21 PM
01M3
Rookie

Its not a question of whether it will fit, it will definitly fit. But just because it will fit doesn't mean it will work. The problem is the ECU, and most importantly there will be no boost controller which normally stops boost in between gears. This would not be present and as a result it would tear away at your transmission everytime you switched gears and eventually blow it
Old 09-22-02, 02:48 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a guy in my area with the trd s/c on a solara. It sounds cool and everything, but it runs like crap at the track. For 3k, or whatever it costs (and additional install costs), i don't think it's the greatest performance investment. Just my .02 ...
Old 09-22-02, 05:51 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

Originally posted by 01M3
Its not a question of whether it will fit, it will definitly fit. But just because it will fit doesn't mean it will work. The problem is the ECU, and most importantly there will be no boost controller which normally stops boost in between gears. This would not be present and as a result it would tear away at your transmission everytime you switched gears and eventually blow it
Like I said, TRD includes an EBC, and electronic BOOST controller with the S/C kit, that gets tapped in with the ECU wires. When wired up in automatic transmission mode, it WILL disable boost in first gear, which is the only difference compared to a manual transmission. In either modes, it will disable boost between shifts and over 6150 RPM. Yes, I agree that it will tear away the AT eventually when not wired up correctly. It's at the driver's discretion whether he/she wants the EBC hooked up properly or not.

Luc
Old 09-24-02, 02:08 AM
92Es300 5sPd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lol

Hey Zeta how old are you and hwos the youngest in cl i was 16 when i first got my lex but i turned 17 a few weeks ago got a bad *** sound system to boot hehehe.
Old 10-30-02, 01:07 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 01M3
You can install a bypass valve which will open and let the compressed air recirculate back to the intake side of the supercharger again. This prevents the pressure from pounding at the throttle and the supercharger at idle. ES300s are automatic. I don't see the small amount of boost causing transmission problems when switching gears. The stock ECU might be able to handle the boost itself without additional electronics. TRD producs are not extreme.
Old 10-30-02, 01:10 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mcelligott
There's a guy in my area with the trd s/c on a solara. It sounds cool and everything, but it runs like crap at the track. For 3k, or whatever it costs (and additional install costs), i don't think it's the greatest performance investment. Just my .02 ...
These cars blow rods and pistons very easily under boost. As mentioned earlier the TRD systems are not huge power increases and are relatively low boost. You can get different sized pulleys to increase boost but then you might want a fuel upgrade. Has anyone ever tested anything on the ES? What are the stock injector sizes?
Old 11-05-02, 07:01 PM
gLok
Driver School Candidate

I think all you need to get the supercharger to work on VVT-I models is the single throttlebody since the VVT-I has a twin throttlebody setup and wont bolt onto the supercharger. I have a spare one if anyone is interested in persuing it further.

Im suprised more people havent done it
Old 11-06-02, 06:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Whoa, i haven't been here in a LONG time.
Old 12-05-02, 01:18 AM
hoolcat
Rookie

Angry

Well heres the deal Im in a MOD stage with my 96 and i was doing so research on the camry vs. the es300 all the info that i have found on the supercharging an es300 with the camry supercharger seems to be the same. I got some price quotes on rebuilt engines for the es300 and i was told buy all the people i talked to that the es300 engine would run me about $4000 for a new one so then i asked what the camry engine would cost in price diferance and all the people i talked to told me they use the same engines for both cars. and this was all the places i talked to though I'm still waiting for a RE: back from TRD racing. BUt the specs on the camry and Es300 are the same 188hp 203 ft-lbs of torque @5200 rpm and max torque@ 4400 rpm. so that would lead me to belive that there should be no problem with the instal of a supercharger built for the camry. Then again when you do it and your all done with the job you happen to notice an extra vaccum line hanging around.... then what do you do. Hay it it were me i would but a golf tee in the hose and go out and wreck my car. No but for real as soon as i get the responce back from TRD (hay they make the f@#ker) than i will be sure to let everyone know it will work. so we all can put one in an trash all the cars that beat us in a race.
question... if it does work and now you have a supercharged ES300 (dope) were would you find all the other stuff for your car like intake pipe and filters along with headers and exaust...??? other wise you would really be restricting that supercharger.
let me know what you think guys. -peace lexus Bro's
The following users liked this post:
Kamardi95 (07-07-17)

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry TRD supercharger ?? ? Will it fit 97-01