ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Masculinity of A Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 09:21 AM
MrDantes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Masculinity of A Car

Mkay, this is my first post so lets go.

I am turning 16 in 20 days and will be able to start driving. My mom just went out and bought herself a RX350 and my dad a new Toyota Rav4, she has decided that my car will be her old 2004 Lexus ES330.

Now im psyched to get a Lexus but it is Gold and all the guys and even some girls have all called it "girly". Now this just gets to me because im a teenager and to be honest I even think the thing looks like a mom car.

I tried asking her to repaint the thing and she flipped a lid and told me she will trade it in and I will get some cheap old car and I would have wished I had it.

I'm lucky to even have my mom give me a car, but is there any way I could put some masculinity in this car so the redneck jacked up truck kids dont give me crap for it.

I just found one off google images but thats the color.

Last edited by MrDantes; 06-02-11 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-02-11, 09:31 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your friends are jealous. I know the herd instinct is strong at your age but there are plenty of grown up men who would be proud to own that car.

If anyone rags on you just look them in the eye and smile, never let them know it affects you, remember, those kids are just as insecure as you are or they wouldn't be trying to harsh on your fantastic luck. If you don't react they can't win.

Tell your mom you want some wheels, or get off your privileged behind and get a job and earn some cool mods yourself.
Old 06-02-11, 09:36 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And another thing, do you know how incredibly rude you sounded asking your mom to paint the car? If you want to come across as less of a shallow teenager you should cook her Sunday breakfast every week for the next six months. show a little appreciation, god knows what she would do for you next!
Old 06-02-11, 09:49 AM
jskwik
Rookie

wow 16 with a lexus...i wish..you got a great car...u can do so much to it...hang around this forum for a while and see some of the cool mods you can do..im 24 still working my way up out of the 90s..welcome to the site..a little TLC and your friends will want to ride with you and leave there trucks at home!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-11, 09:51 AM
jskwik
Rookie

ill trade you my 3rd generation es all tricked out for your new ride...watcha think???!!!
Old 06-02-11, 09:54 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to be a man, act like a man.
Car doesn't define who you are.

In fact, do this.
- tell your mom to trade in the car and she can keep the cash
- you go buy yourself your dream car with your own money
- therefore, everyone is happy
- suck it up
Old 06-02-11, 10:00 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ahhhaa..ya mann either trade it or the usual= get some big rims n bumper body kit..and that way u will keep ur friends happy..that what u want right. LOL..
Old 06-02-11, 10:07 AM
MrDantes
Driver School Candidate

Heh, thanks guys. I think I will drop a pair and just accept it.

Do you guys know possibly things I could do to it. This is what I've compiled so far

1. Tint the windows
2. Install new speakers and possibly replace radio, I saw a really cool thread about that.
3. Put in a remote start from Viper, just because thats cool.
4. I think rims would be cool, but I don't want to put these big *** 20 inches on it...
Old 06-02-11, 10:23 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

most of the things u mentioned are done by other members..u just have to do a search
Old 06-02-11, 12:40 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're a lucky boy. So just relax and enjoy the (oustanding) ride. In the meantime try to be more confident in yourself...
Old 06-02-11, 12:51 PM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

this thread=win
Old 06-02-11, 12:53 PM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

And when the same people that was making fun of your "girly" car ask you for a ride, remind them that is a girly car and keep on moving, you will be driving they will be walking....
Old 06-02-11, 01:27 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

I first got my Lexus when I was 17 in high school too. I previously drove my brother's Acura Integra, so it was a big change moving from a "cool" sporty 2 door to a 4 door sedan. So at first, I wasn't all too excited and others didn't think my car was "cool."

However, now everyone loves getting rides since a Lexus is classy and luxurious. Don't take it for granted, girls will love getting rides in a big luxury car.

As for the mods, I think at most tint and maybe a sub; I'd skip the rims and remote start.
Old 06-02-11, 01:45 PM
LexFather

My first Lexus was an ES manual at 18. The car game then wasn't as good as it was today and guess what people hated then, they hate now.

Rock your ES, be careful and watch how people treat you differently. You are fortunate to have such a great car.
Old 06-02-11, 02:01 PM
PolishJoe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, lucky kid and maybe a little spoiled. No, a lot spoiled.

When I was 16, I had to work part time after school stocking groceries at the local grocery store that I had to WALK to. By the way, the job paid $4/hr.

After months of saving, I bought a 77 Grand Prix with fading gray paint and some rust here and there, for $700.

I was happy just to have my own car, let alone what people thought about it.

Quick Reply: Masculinity of A Car