ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: What car would you get if you had to give up your ES?
Acura RL
16.67%
Benz E or S class
25.00%
BMW 5 or 7 series
33.33%
Lincoln LS
0%
Cadillac CTS/STS
16.67%
Infinity M/G
50.00%
Chrysler 300
0%
Dodge Charger
0%
Jaguar S Type
0%
Jaguar XJ
8.33%
Audi A6
8.33%
Saab 9-5
0%
Volvo S60/S80
16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

What to get..Need your input..

Old 04-26-11, 09:37 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to get..Need your input..

I am looking at getting a GS 06 or newer(I heard new design coming in 2012). Im in love with Lexus as a brand and have good links at the shop at the local dealership. I can get top dollar for my ES buyer is a friend of a friend. I wasn't planning on selling my car as I was looking on some upgrades for it. Now might be the right time to sell though as a good buyer is hard to come by. Looking at the GS I now have to compare it with its competition. What do you all at think. By the way I want to cap my budget at 25k.

Acura RL - Not really feeling it
Chrysler 300 - No
Jaguar XJ Series - Maybe
Volvo S80 - Been there done that
Audi A6 - Maybe
Dodge Charger - No
Lincoln LS - Nope
BMW 5-Series - Funny story but maybe not
Infiniti M - Kinda
Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Serious Contender
Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Contender
Cadillac STS/CTS - Contender... especially if I can find a V out there somewhere.
Jaguar S-TYPE - Hmmm.. Maybe
Saab 9-5 - Maybe
Old 04-26-11, 10:04 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a huge Jag and MB fan. I have driven a 1998 E320 and it was probably the best driving sedan I have ever driven. Probably better than the ES350 I drove. Brakes, ride comfort, reliability, power, quality are all excellent. However, there are some years of Mercedes you should avoid. These are the early 2000s through about 05 or so. Anything after that is good.

As for the Jag, you do not want a 4.0 V8 Jag, these are known for serious engine, transmission, and electrical problems. The engines, have problems with the timing belt tensioner breaking and the liner in the cylinders wearing prematurely resulting in a loss of compression to a point where the engine will no longer run. The transmissions and ECUs have problems too. But if you get a jag with the 4.2 V8 and the ZF six speed auto gearbox, they are very well built. I would go for 2005 or newer with the S-type or XJ. Anything older and you are asking for problems.

The RL is a good car but is very bland and boring, well besides its predecessor, the Legend. I love mine.

Anyways, I have never cared for BMW or Audi, or even any American cars. But I do like the Caddy.

You can't go wrong with a GS either, it is probably the best in terms of quality of all the cars listed, but.....it doesn't have a three pointed star or chrome cat on the hood....

Personally I would go for the Jag XJ, S-type, E class, or GS Lexus. Go for a few test drives and see what you think.

Last edited by 88Legend; 04-26-11 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-27-11, 09:43 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Acura RL - Not really feeling it
Chrysler 300 - No
Jaguar XJ Series - Maybe
Volvo S80 - Been there done that
Audi A6 - Maybe
Dodge Charger - No
Lincoln LS - Nope
BMW 5-Series - Funny story but maybe not
Infiniti M - Kinda
Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Serious Contender
Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Contender
Cadillac STS/CTS - Contender... especially if I can find a V out there somewhere.
Jaguar S-TYPE - Hmmm.. Maybe
Saab 9-5 - Maybe
-------------------------------
RL? Wannabe LS with a 'A' badge.

300/Charger/Lincoln? You looking at rentals?! lol

Jaguars? Stay away. Friend has had 3 of them, they're very nice - don't get me wrong, but if you fancy a Ford Taurus in a different skin then by all means

Volvo's are awesome, when they aren't in need of procey maintenance

Audi? NO! *unless its under a warranty of some sort*

BMW 5-Series - Ummm, YES! They're cheap, but GOOD cars... considering 3series' are priced higher than the 5er, you can get into one for very reasonable money!

Infiniti M - IF you can find it.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Very nice cars... i like em a lot

Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Gangster, but plagued with issues from what i've read.

Cadillac STS/CTS - YES! Sts, whatever trim is cool, but CTS = the V is a must! lol

Personally, i'd buy a GS of some sort. I'm spoiled, i'd hate to get into another Luxury car other than a Lexus, since i'm used to reliability and simply changing oil, putting in Gas and driving it. Audi's i've seen first hand how ****ty they are out of warranty.
Old 04-27-11, 10:03 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you both! Thats along the lines of what I am thinking. I would love a Jag but like stated Im worried about the problems. I love Volvos but my S80 was 1500 everytime I had to bring it into the shop. Im leaning towards the E class benz... but my next days off Im going to be test driving some off the list. Im probably going to bring a notepad (as nerdy as it sounds.) to make sure I take notes on likes and dislikes. I know im kinda all over the map here but I promise Im going to narrow it down so its a little more black and white. The GS is my first pick but I have not driven one and as long as my friend still works at Lexus I'll get discount parts and virtually no labour cost.
Old 04-27-11, 10:51 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

- You're going to be looking at high maintenance costs for any German car, i.e. there's a reason why you can pick up a $120-130k 5 year old SL55 AMG with not that high mileage for well under $50k...they just don't hold their value. For that reason alone I wouldn't consider those cars unless you really want a change up from your ES. You didn't mention years either; Mercedes had some really poor reliability in the 1990's and for $25k you aren't gonna be getting a W221 so prepare yourself for some high maintenance costs. Audi wasn't much better in the 90's either (ask yourself why you don't see many of them on the road?).

- I love Cadillac and really like what they've been doing lately (minus the fact that they're dropping the STS and DTS). Good choice. You probably could find an older V for $25k but it's gonna have high mileage and they require expensive maintenance. Cadillacs aren't cheap. The current CTS V is a beast but you're not gonna find one for $25k. Regarding the STS, also a nice car, but what year are we talking here? I'll assume the current. If you can find an LH2 V8 for $25k with reasonable mileage you'd be good, but I doubt you'll find a STS V for under $25k. Again though the STS is an expensive car maintenance wise and they have some problems. Read up thoroughly on those Cadillacs if you are serious about buying one.
Old 04-27-11, 11:28 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm very good points... I was looking at all about 04 - 08 depending on the brand. Just an example of a 08 A6 for 25 k. http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A6/T...0107093729953/
I was also thinking of going down south for even cheaper. I wouldn't get anything without the right research and due diligence.
Don't get me wrong I LOVE my ES, but the stars might be aligning just right for me to sell it.
Old 04-27-11, 01:16 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow those are some tough listings because they are all awsome cars. i had owned saab 9-5 and currently have volvo S80. so on my next list if i had to choose would be cadillac or bmw 5 series. But i also truely like the design of new saab 9-5 looks.
Old 04-27-11, 01:52 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My choice of the ones you listed would be the Infiniti M35. It is roomy, has a pretty good ride, great handling, and it is fairly quick. Consumer Reports had this as their best luxury car for several years. They are reliable and maintenance/repairs won't bankrupt you.

Mercedes, Audi, or BMW get very expensive to maintain once they are out of warranty.

I think an 08 ES350 should also be on your list. Much faster than the earlier ES versions and you still have Lexus reliability.

Another sleeper not on your list in the Hyundai Genesis. Really nice car and it has a 100,000 mi powertrain warranty.

Steve
Old 04-27-11, 03:31 PM
skillvsluck
Driver

Did you look into the IS350?
Old 04-27-11, 03:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

If I had to pick from your list, I would go with the Infiniti M35. I looked at one closely, very nice car I would be happy to own it. But I would never choose one over a Lexus if I had the choice.

I really like the IS350, I've been very tempted to trade in me ES honestly.
Old 04-27-11, 05:31 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
My choice of the ones you listed would be the Infiniti M35. It is roomy, has a pretty good ride, great handling, and it is fairly quick. Consumer Reports had this as their best luxury car for several years. They are reliable and maintenance/repairs won't bankrupt you.
Mercedes, Audi, or BMW get very expensive to maintain once they are out of warranty.
I think an 08 ES350 should also be on your list. Much faster than the earlier ES versions and you still have Lexus reliability.
Another sleeper not on your list in the Hyundai Genesis. Really nice car and it has a 100,000 mi powertrain warranty.
Steve
The only reason I didn't add another ES is that I want a sporty-luxury car. Hate to be snotty but I really want a premium brand, I know that the Genesis is a great car and might be able to beat some on the list overall but if I got a Hyundai I would debadge immediately.

Originally Posted by darkmanx3k
Did you look into the IS350?
Im 6'3, 230 lbs, so it would be tight.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
If I had to pick from your list, I would go with the Infiniti M35. I looked at one closely, very nice car I would be happy to own it. But I would never choose one over a Lexus if I had the choice.
I really like the IS350, I've been very tempted to trade in me ES honestly.
I have to drive an Infiniti M35 to really get a feel. Once again the IS is a little small for me, otherwise it might be a no brainer.