ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2001 ES300 headlight plug/socket

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 04:04 PM
LarsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ES300 headlight plug/socket

I have a 2001 ES300 and Ive been looking online everywhere but I cant seem to find what I need...

I need the plug/socket for my p-side halogen low beam headlight bulb...

I originally had a factory HID headlight but the assembly was damaged in an accident and the HID ballast also died so I had to temporarily revert to a standard halogen assembly and bulb until I find another HID assembly and ballast I can afford.
(Brand new halogen assembly w/low and high beam bulbs incl., $100)...
(Brand new HID assembly, HID bulb and ballast, about a million dollars lol)

The new halogen high beam bulb plugs into the wiring harness with no problem, but the halogen low beam bulb needs a different size socket/connector to plug into the wiring harness because the wiring harness plug was meant to connect to the original HID bulb (not a halogen bulb).

anyone have a clue where I can find the connector I need without calling a dealer?
Old 04-18-11, 04:21 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LarsLexus
I have a 2001 ES300 and Ive been looking online everywhere but I cant seem to find what I need...

I need the plug/socket for my p-side halogen low beam headlight bulb...

I originally had a factory HID headlight but the assembly was damaged in an accident and the HID ballast also died so I had to temporarily revert to a standard halogen assembly and bulb until I find another HID assembly and ballast I can afford.
(Brand new halogen assembly w/low and high beam bulbs incl., $100)...
(Brand new HID assembly, HID bulb and ballast, about a million dollars lol)

The new halogen high beam bulb plugs into the wiring harness with no problem, but the halogen low beam bulb needs a different size socket/connector to plug into the wiring harness because the wiring harness plug was meant to connect to the original HID bulb (not a halogen bulb).

anyone have a clue where I can find the connector I need without calling a dealer?
My guess and it's purely that, is that you would need to fabricate something. I did the opposite of what you did and had to revert wiring for the ballast to plug into the stock halogen plug. D2R and Halogen bulbs don't use the same socket. Of course, the D2R bulb doesn't plug right into the car, there is that cap that goes on the housing, so maybe there is an adapter out there.

BTW, you should be able to find an HID assembly for around $200. Use car-part.com and ebay.
Old 04-18-11, 04:45 PM
LarsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
My guess and it's purely that, is that you would need to fabricate something. I did the opposite of what you did and had to revert wiring for the ballast to plug into the stock halogen plug. D2R and Halogen bulbs don't use the same socket. Of course, the D2R bulb doesn't plug right into the car, there is that cap that goes on the housing, so maybe there is an adapter out there.

BTW, you should be able to find an HID assembly for around $200. Use car-part.com and ebay.
I kind of already have a 'fabrication' in place, I just cut off the original plug off the harness that connected to the round plastic cover behind the HID bulb..now I have the harness wired directly to the halogen plug, without a connector though, just some electrical tape til I find the proper connector plug.

Ive seen HID assemblys on the net for 200 also but none that included a ballast..the ballasts cost more than the entire assembly in most cases...
brand new theyre hundreds of dollars and used theyre well over 100 just for the ballast alone.
However, Ive seen lots of aftermarket ballasts very cheap online, brand new too...Do I have to replace the ballast with an identical one or is there any other types or brands of ballasts out there that will work?

If I could convert my new halogen assembly to HID it would save me alot of money, especially if all I needed to buy is an aftermarket ballast.
Old 04-18-11, 07:40 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ don't do that.

You went about this backwards. Check eBay, there was a pass side HID assy. with bulbs for 150$ for a few weeks - its gone now. Deals pop up.

Call around the scrap yards from www.car-part.com

Here's a ballast 55$

BTW, the cutoff on your halogen is going to be bad compared to the HID, it looks different, and well i'm not sure how the ECU or whatever else will react with one auto levelling HID & one halogen installed. For OEM parts its best to stay OEM. I had an aftermarket HID kit in my Halogens, and it blew in 3 yrs. WHere your OEM ballast is working now, 10 years later, until you smashed it.