ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cel po330 & po1351

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 11:54 PM
oneblackgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cel po330 & po1351

Hi All,

Just bought a 99 es300 and when I took it to smog the CEL just came on and fail the smog. The car pass all emission but fail the visual CEL part.

checked the code and these pop up.
PO330
PO1351

I've check on this forum and cant find a direct answer to what to change to get rid of these two codes. If someone had have these code before and have changed something to get rid of these CEL. Please help
Old 03-20-11, 12:25 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oneblackgt
Hi All,

Just bought a 99 es300 and when I took it to smog the CEL just came on and fail the smog. The car pass all emission but fail the visual CEL part.

checked the code and these pop up.
PO330
PO1351

I've check on this forum and cant find a direct answer to what to change to get rid of these two codes. If someone had have these code before and have changed something to get rid of these CEL. Please help
Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

What does that mean?

A knock sensor tells the engine computer when one or more of your engine's cylinders are "knocking", that is, exploding the air/fuel mixture in a way that delivers less power and can be damaging to the engine if prolonged. The computer uses this information to tune the engine so that it doesn't knock. If your knock sensor wasn't operating properly, so that it was always indicating a knock, the engine computer's response may have been to change the ignition timing on your engine. Knock sensors generally bolt into or thread into the engine block. This P0330 code may show up intermittently or the Service Engine light may be lit constantly. Other knock sensor related DTC codes include P0325.

Symptoms

You may notice drivability problems including a lack of power and perhaps some hesitation. There may also be other symptoms.

Causes

A code P0330 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

The "B" knock sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced
There is a wiring short/fault in the knock sensor circuit

Possible Solutions

Check the resistance of the knock sensor on bank 2 (compare it to factory specs)
Check for broken/frayed wires leading to the sensor
Replace the knock sensor on bank 2

That second code I couldnt find. Please verify code. Is it P0135 or P1351. The later code is a Lexus specific code.
Old 03-20-11, 09:50 PM
oneblackgt
Driver School Candidate

Wow that help alot. Thanks

The second code is P1351
VVT sensor Range/ Performance problem (Bank 2)
Old 03-21-11, 11:34 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oneblackgt
Wow that help alot. Thanks

The second code is P1351
VVT sensor Range/ Performance problem (Bank 2)
No problem bro, here to help. This is where I get my info from. I couldnt find any additional info on your second code, since its a Lexus specific code.

http://www.obd-codes.com
Old 03-22-11, 12:10 AM
oneblackgt
Driver School Candidate

Ill check the wiring first and then the sensor. Hopefully once the PO330 Knock Sensor is fix it will clear both codes.
Old 03-22-11, 08:06 AM
VicsIS350
Driver

Ok I'm not an expert in any way but when it's sensor based which they are usually on exterior of engine or exhaust wouldn't it be a good idea to double check if wiring or sensor is dirty,oily or corroded? I would presume so
Old 04-05-11, 09:27 AM
oneblackgt
Driver School Candidate

Okay guys here is my updates.

So the check engine and the TRAC light came on my car and I checked the code and these are what came out of the scanner: PO330 and P1351.

So I went ahead and bought all new parts from the Toyota Dealer two new knock sensors, the sub harness, platium gasket, 2 x intake gasket, valve cover gasket and spark plugs. Spent about $500 (with discount) in parts and another 6-10 hours on replacing the parts itself. Not a hard job but very time consumming. If you are replacing the valve cover gasket make sure you let them know that it is for a ES300 not camry motor because the gasket are longer on the ES versus the camry.

So I finish installing all the parts on the car and it rev fine and the check engine light was off. But I notice that the TRAC OFF was still lit up. Since it was late I just left it alone and two days later I came to start the car (cause I was busy the other days). So yesterday I started the car the the TRAC OFF light was off, so no check engine light and no TRAC OFF light, problem fix. So I drove it around for about 2 miles down to the post office and everything was fine.

Well not so fast. So I drove another 3 miles down the road and the check engine lights and the TRAC OFF light came back on. I was like what the Hell. So I pull out my scanner and check the code. Only 1 code came up P1351 VVT sensor?? So what I did was clear the code to see how long it can run. After clearing the code I had to drive to my partent's house which is about 30 miles away and the light never came back up. So I thought everything was fix.

This morning I started up the car the check engine light and TRAC OFF light came back on. So I was like But I also notice that the check engine light was also flashing slightly so I though maybe the wire that is attached to the sensor might be loose so I will check it after work today. But driving to work, I notice the check engine light to blink more. As I accelerate the check engine light blink and I come to a compleate stop the check engine light just stay on.

Has anyone has this problem? or what can be the cause of the blinking check engine lights? Any help would be great.
Old 04-09-11, 11:46 PM
oneblackgt
Driver School Candidate

Here the update of my recently own es300 that I bought less than two month ago. So I took the car into a shop that I trusted. They check the car and said the the tranny was no good there are a lot of metal shaving inside the tranny. So I need a new tranny. So after two month trying to get part and fix the ES. I decide to give up on it. Don't have another 1500 to get a used tranny. So I trying to sell the car as a whole if anyone is interested in it. But first o need to get the pink slip first. It should be in like a moth or so. Wish I could have the money to fix it.
Old 04-10-11, 09:36 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, Im no expert, but from my experience and from what I know about these cars, the tranny hardly have issues and run forever. Question, does the car shift funny? How does the car run? I realize you still have the issue with the VVT sensor, but how does the car sound and run? I would have the tranny fluid dumped, flushed and filled and see how it runs. I would also suggest have the Lexus dealer or someone who specializes in Lexus take a look at your car in regards to your CEL P1351. I wouldnt thing the CEL would be related to the tranny, but I could be wrong. Hopefully one of the pro mechanics on here can help you out. I wouldnt give up on this car. Good Luck.
Old 05-06-11, 11:11 AM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i had the p1351 VVT Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2),
p1354 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 2) i put a new VVT-I control valve and the codes are gone.