ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Beating a dead horse.. I know!!

Old 02-23-11, 09:47 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nicks88
yeldogt- My dipstick says Dexron II. So that is why I think everyone is so confused! I think Dex III is going to be my choice, to be on the safe side. User manual says Dex II as well and so does my OEM repair manual. SO, this being said. what do we all do????
Use Dexron III, Dexron II is no longer available (at least where I have seen) and Dexron III is what replaced it, same basic thing, just better in a few areas.

Dexron III is widely available. I would also echo the recommendation not to use the "works in every transmission" type fluids out there.
Old 02-23-11, 09:52 AM
nicks88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CORRECTION- Owners manual says Dex II or DEX III- So I will go with III..
Old 02-23-11, 10:16 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000

MaxLife is not an all in one fluid. And would you agree that it is suitable if it meets or exceeds the original fluid certifications? BTW, Toyota T-IV is nothing great IMO, it blackens fairly quickly. In my Lexus, draining it out and putting in MaxLife showed an instant improvement (my car was Lexus serviced exclusively before I bought it).

BTW, MaxLife meets or exceeds TIV, JWS3309, Mercon V, Dexron VI and other specs. I hate to vehemently defend the stuff, but it is a good product. BTW, MaxLife is not the only multi-use ATF out there Petro-Canada DuraDrive is similar, and in fact a great fluid but hard to find. This is the suitable applications.

* GM: DEXRON®-II, DEXRON-III
* Ford: MERCON, MERCON-V
* Toyota: T, T-III, T-IV, WS
* Honda: Z1
* Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi: SP-II, SP-III
* Nissan: Matic D, J and K
* Mercedes Benz: 236.1/.2 /.5 /.6/.7/.9/.10
* BMW: 7045E, LA2634, LT71141
* VW/Audi: G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1
* Volvo: 97340

I suppose that makes it bad fluid as well? Consider that it can be used in so many applications because it is an outstanding product.
Valvoline will say anything to sell there product. Here's a picture of MaxLife StopLeak that says it works with nearly EVERY transmission:

Call me skeptical, I know I wouldn't fill my transmission up with this stuff. It sounds like the OP is making the smart move and going with what Toyota recommended.
Old 02-23-11, 10:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,676 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Call me skeptical, I know I wouldn't fill my transmission up with this stuff. It sounds like the OP is making the smart move and going with what Toyota recommended.
What did Toyota recommend again?
Old 02-23-11, 10:56 AM
nicks88
Pole Position

ok... first, I wouldnt put the ATF with stop leak in my car.. I dont have a leak. Just black tranny fluid. Second I would put a DEX III fluid in.. because that is what my Manual says to do?? Anyone think this is a bad idea?? To not follow the owners manual?? Here is a link to what I was thinking of putting in

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0471&ppt=C0207

Any thoughts? Its not a stop leak formula... because again, I DONT HAVE LEAKS!!! lol

Let me know!!
Old 02-23-11, 11:11 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

From most reports Type IV fluid is is a Dexron formulation -- many fluids are. It was one of the early fluids as was Mercon.

Lots of fluids will meet the spec and overlap. What you don't know is what else is in the fluid or what is not in the fluid. Because the spec is not for that.

Toyota lists transmissions that use IV and D II / III in a grid so they must be slightly different. The IV may have a slightly different coefficient that some transmissions are designed to exploit to achieve better or smother shifting --- or it could be that it is partly synthetic or has additives to allow for a longer service life.

Just because it meets a specification -- like some say IV does in the Volvo - does not equate with it being the same fluid.

Since your manual and dipstick says D II then D III is the correct fluid.
Old 02-23-11, 11:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,676 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Did a bit of searching, and this stuff has definitely been discussed over and over again, beating a dead horse for sure! lol

I did find these, hopefully they clear up some confusion.

Old 02-23-11, 11:37 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
From most reports Type IV fluid is is a Dexron formulation -- many fluids are. It was one of the early fluids as was Mercon.

Lots of fluids will meet the spec and overlap. What you don't know is what else is in the fluid or what is not in the fluid. Because the spec is not for that.

Toyota lists transmissions that use IV and D II / III in a grid so they must be slightly different. The IV may have a slightly different coefficient that some transmissions are designed to exploit to achieve better or smother shifting --- or it could be that it is partly synthetic or has additives to allow for a longer service life.

Just because it meets a specification -- like some say IV does in the Volvo - does not equate with it being the same fluid.

Since your manual and dipstick says D II then D III is the correct fluid.
I agree, no need to make it more complicated than it needs to be. The manual says Dexron III, so put Dexron III in it. It's available everywhere.

Until a verified Toyota transmission engineer says some other fluid is better for this specific year and transmission, go with the manual.

I'm not sure of the exact differences between Toyota Type IV and Dex III, but Toyota seems to think it's enough of a difference to make the distinction, so just stay safe and go with the manual.

Problem solved.
Old 02-23-11, 11:39 AM
nicks88
Pole Position

So.. if I am reading it correctly, I should use the T-IV in my car correct? Can you explain your findings so it makes sense to me.. lol.. talk to me like I am 5 yrs old.. lol... thanks
Old 02-23-11, 11:40 AM
nicks88
Pole Position

D III it is!!
Old 02-23-11, 01:02 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Yes - That is the grid.

Toyota must have been moving to the Type IV for many transmissions around Y2K. My 2000 ES300 calls for IV -- yet the Camry calls for Dex? - Are they not the same transmission?

I believe Lexus was also moving to longer service intervals at this point.

With electronic control, the "slip" as it moves through gears can be better controlled -- a fluid that allows more slip can result in smoother shifting. But you need the correct fluid.

When everything was hydraulic it was more or less the same shift every time.

Last edited by yeldogt; 03-05-11 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 11:40 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I freakin forgot all about this.

Just asked a couple guys here, they said you can use ATF-IV in a D3 tranny, but not D3 in an ATF-IV Tranny.
Old 03-05-11, 03:07 PM
snowmaker
Driver

I use Amsoil ATF since it adheres to Toyo T4, Dex III etc...Install the fluid and change every 40,000 to 50K miles and be happy. Based on my last UOA of T4, it sucks and this is inline with other users T4 analyis's.

I use it in both a 98 and 06 trannys & PS fluid and works mint (based on fluid analysis)...
Old 03-06-11, 05:54 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Well the backward compatibility would make sense - from all reports the IV has more friction modifiers that the newer transmissions can take advantage of - so you want to use the correct fluid in order to maximize the shifts.

Only a Toyota power train engineer would be able to explain exactly what is going on and if using DIII vs IV would just cause more noticeable shifting or actually shorten the life of the box.
Old 03-06-11, 11:34 AM
snowmaker
Driver

the kicker is T4 is NOT a synthetic..No wonder it performs poorly...The larger issue is all dealers are in the dark on changing it (for me);

I know there is not a lot of doff between T4 and Dex III. I will have to find the analysis I read on comparing the two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beating a dead horse.. I know!!