ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Beating a dead horse.. I know!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 07:53 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pauloil
3309 is same as TIV. those of us with volvo 5 speed tranny buy the TIV because it is cheaper at the toyota dealer
Whats funny is I just got a seal kit for my co workers A341E Auto Tranny for his Supra, and it;s also good for some Volvo's.
Old 02-22-11, 07:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I disagree.

Just because a label on some new product says it's compatible doesn't necessarily mean it's good for your transmission.
I agree with you. Conversely, if it does not state any compatibility, then I think it is fair to assume it is not suitable at all. You are safer trusting stated compatibility than assuming it, even when not stated.

But you make a good point, it's also important to consider the product itself. In the case of Valvoline, I've found that the transmission performs great with the stuff, plus I trust the manufacturer, and other people have reported excellent results. Plus the fluid has to meet certifications, there is that to consider.
Old 02-22-11, 08:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I'm VERY skeptical of these "all in one" fluids like MaxLife that say they work in nearly every transmission.
I believe they can do this because of improved technology. ATF is all essentially the same as far as the base goes, it's the modifiers that make all the difference.
If it were that simple I think every manufacturer would just use the same fluid.
Again, it's about improved technology, fluids today are more advanced than 20 years ago.
Old 02-22-11, 08:22 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I believe they can do this because of improved technology. ATF is all essentially the same as far as the base goes, it's the modifiers that make all the difference.

Again, it's about improved technology, fluids today are more advanced than 20 years ago.
If a motor oil company like Mobil said they had a new technology, and their new amazing oil worked with ALL engines and weights (5w-20, 10w-30, 0w-50, 20w-50 etc.) I would be VERY skeptical. That's exactly what a product like MaxLife is claiming.

Again, if a new technology was able to make one transmission fluid work BETTER than all the other fluids different manufacturers recommend, I think they would all switch over.

Just using common sense, usually products that work on everything usually excel at nothing. I would rather have a product customized for my transmission than one that has a wide range and can be used on anything and everything.

Ask a pro transmission rebuilder if he uses an "all in one" product like MaxLife or the specific fluid the manufacturer recommends for the transmission.

At the end of the day, it's just not worth it. Transmissions are too expensive and complicated, and besides the RIGHT fluid is cheaper anyway.
Old 02-22-11, 08:32 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ASG14
Turns out, the only reason my Tranny is still going at 165k miles is becuase of the way I manually shift it.
Wait, so you manually shift your auto transmission from 1-2-D? That is interesting and I don't mean that in a negative tone, I just don't think I've ever tried that or even used 1st or 2nd gear in an auto tranny in any car I've ever owned as odd as that may sound. I love me a manual but I guess I just put the thing in D and push "GO". ;D

Now I want to try this..
Old 02-22-11, 08:37 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be honest, there is a certain way to do it, and I have taught a couple friends with the same car to do it. Thats only because we are all SuperCharged. The way I shift it for one, actually makes the car a bit faster, and 2, reduces a LOT of stress ont he tranny, mainly the 1st/2nd gear sprague.
Old 02-22-11, 08:45 PM
nicks88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK.... SO again... Back to my original question... Should I use the Lexus ATF type IV or should I go with the Valvoline Product I almost bought... before all the argument.

ASG14- You work at a dealer you say??? I dont want to put in the T-IV if it isnt suppose to be there?? SO... THAT BEING SAID...

WHICH IS IT??? I am more confused now than I was when I asked the question??? My dealer says its compatable, ASG14 Says its compatable, yet everyone else says its not DEX III compatable???

Answers please... as I have a car on stands waiting for fluid and still have no answers!!!! Thanks in advance... Just looking for answers is all!!!
Old 02-22-11, 08:52 PM
nicks88
Pole Position

and my OEM repair manual says DEXII.. which we ALL know they dont make anymore.

ASG14-- Hypothetically, if I were to take my car and have a drain and fill at the dealer, would they use the T-IV fluid? Is that all the dealer carries now is the T-IV? So to me that makes it compatible right? Just want to get my ducks in a row!!! lol Thanks again
Old 02-22-11, 08:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

If a motor oil company like Mobil said they had a new technology, and their new amazing oil worked with ALL engines and weights (5w-20, 10w-30, 0w-50, 20w-50 etc.) I would be VERY skeptical. That's exactly what a product like MaxLife is claiming.
This is not accurate. Different weighted oils evolved because engines evolved. Tighter tolerances, higher temperatures required different formulations. You are making an apples to oranges comparison here, you can't compare viscosities to ATF fluid requirements, it's not the same thing.
Again, if a new technology was able to make one transmission fluid work BETTER than all the other fluids different manufacturers recommend, I think they would all switch over.
Switch over to what? Transmissions that call for DexIII are no longer around for the most part. Newer oils/better technology allows older transmissions to use the new formulations safely, in fact work better than with the original spec fluids. The same thing is true for motor oils, but the oil still needs to meet the same viscosity range requirements. And that's the key, a fluid like MaxLife is able to satisfy multiple applications because it is a better product. And it is not fair to say it can be used in any transmission, this is not the case.
Just using common sense, usually products that work on everything usually excel at nothing. I would rather have a product customized for my transmission than one that has a wide range and can be used on anything and everything.
What makes you think Toyota supplied fluid is specifically designed for only one application? Actually this is not the case, you can use Toyota fluid in other cars, because it is compatible with other types of transmissions.
Ask a pro transmission rebuilder if he uses an "all in one" product like MaxLife or the specific fluid the manufacturer recommends for the transmission.
MaxLife is not an all in one fluid. And would you agree that it is suitable if it meets or exceeds the original fluid certifications? BTW, Toyota T-IV is nothing great IMO, it blackens fairly quickly. In my Lexus, draining it out and putting in MaxLife showed an instant improvement (my car was Lexus serviced exclusively before I bought it).

BTW, MaxLife meets or exceeds TIV, JWS3309, Mercon V, Dexron VI and other specs. I hate to vehemently defend the stuff, but it is a good product. BTW, MaxLife is not the only multi-use ATF out there Petro-Canada DuraDrive is similar, and in fact a great fluid but hard to find. This is the suitable applications.

* GM: DEXRON®-II, DEXRON-III
* Ford: MERCON, MERCON-V
* Toyota: T, T-III, T-IV, WS
* Honda: Z1
* Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi: SP-II, SP-III
* Nissan: Matic D, J and K
* Mercedes Benz: 236.1/.2 /.5 /.6/.7/.9/.10
* BMW: 7045E, LA2634, LT71141
* VW/Audi: G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1
* Volvo: 97340

I suppose that makes it bad fluid as well? Consider that it can be used in so many applications because it is an outstanding product.
Old 02-22-11, 08:57 PM
nicks88
Pole Position

At least I know I got the correct drain plug washer/gasket... HA HA HA!!! We needed a laugh.. right??
Old 02-22-11, 09:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I just use the same one over and over again lol, the aluminum crush washers seem to last almost forever. Never had a leak yet.
Old 02-22-11, 09:08 PM
nicks88
Pole Position

I think because My car is a Dex II tranny- and Dex III is the closest, I am going to go with the DEX III... I use the Valvoline synthetic oil in my car, and so I will stick with the valvoline. Thanks everyone. But I have read some previous threads, and 95% of the peeps say use a DEX III not the T-IV... I am glad my Thread started some healthy discussion though. That is what makes these forums amazing!!!! The convos and the knowledge is amazing. Thanks again everyone!!
Old 02-23-11, 01:51 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nicks88 -- Just so we know -- what is listed in the 1996 owners manual for the fluid. Does the dipstick say anything ?

Many of the advances in fluids/oil has to do with extreme temperature properties and cleaning agents and resistance changing PH. So as fluids advance they can be used in wider applications. But it does not make them better in a given application.

People spend a lot of money buying fluids that will work in wider temperature ranges then the application will ever encounter and additives to extend the life and then change them early -- all you do is waste $$

Remember -- your only doing a partial change.
Old 02-23-11, 06:49 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

This is what I don't understand. Toyota says Dexron III is not compatible with Toyota T-VI. My user's manual calls for Dexron III. Dipstick says T-VI. How am I to know what fluid to use? If the two are not compatible and you can't tell them apart once in the transmission, WTF. This is a recipe for disaster. They have to be at least somewhat compatible otherwise they would be opening themselves to a class action lawsuit. Someone please tell me where I am wrong.
Old 02-23-11, 08:53 AM
nicks88
Pole Position

yeldogt- My dipstick says Dexron II. So that is why I think everyone is so confused! I think Dex III is going to be my choice, to be on the safe side. User manual says Dex II as well and so does my OEM repair manual. SO, this being said. what do we all do????

Quick Reply: Beating a dead horse.. I know!!