ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Aftermarket Stereo, HID, CCFL, LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 05:13 AM
Nberke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo, HID, CCFL, LEDs

I am thinking of getting a aftermarket stereo installed, the stereo will be including bluetooth, touchscreen, ipod control and a backup camera. I noticed after digging on the web that the factory installed stereo has a Amp. Here are my questions: I have 2 fosgate amps. 1 for bass and 1 for highs and mids. If i install the aftermarket stereo will i be able to use the factory amp? Or should i take out the factory amp and have the guys who is installing the stereo use both of the fosgate amps and install them under the seats. i just dont know what the proper thing to do is. I will not be changing out the speaker in the near feature.
another question is about HID's... high beam and low beam and fog lights, should they be the same k? but different wattage... As you can see i have no idea what i am talking about when im talking about HID. Im looking for detail in choosing and understanding HID's? Also i saw something called CCFL i think. whats the difference. Need some advice because i want to try to upgrade this car. and also I want to do a full LED conversion with the interior lights who is the best company that has great BRIGHTEST Lumenas led products.

Thanks again,
Neal
Old 01-13-11, 09:42 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

In regards to HID's, there are many options available. Generally, you should stay with 35w since they are plenty bright and if you are installing them into the stock halogen reflector housings, they will give less glare to other drivers.

For the color temp (K), it's really up to you. OEM HID's that you see on many newer cars generally run around 4300K, and optimal light output (whitest, brightest light) is around 4300K-5000K. I would not recommend anything about 6000K as you start to lose light output because of the color of the light from the bulb (it starts to turn blue/purple which doesn't light up very much). Some people like to match their low beams and fog lights, and others like to have different colors such as 3000K (Yellow) fogs. Again, it's up to you.

I would not recommend HID high beams unless you don't use your DRL's at all since DRL's run at half power, and HID's require a full current to run. If you only use them for the high beam function, go for it.

CCFL refers to Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps which are generally used for neon signs, computer lighting, and some interior lighting. They can be adapted for use in cars, such as for a trunk light. HID stands for High Intensity Discharge and is mostly used for car/motorcycle headlights and requires a ballast for startup.

There are a wide range of LED's available and different people have different experiences with them. A couple companies I have had good luck with are v-leds (www.v-leds.com) and the eBay seller warden-jp2002 (http://stores.ebay.ca/warden-jp2002). Both have very good products; bright and accurate color temps. Just ask around and go with the company you like most.

Again, just do a search and you can find a lot of this information that has been previously answered along with a lot of opinions and feedback.

Last edited by QuachmanES; 01-13-11 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 11:12 AM
305lexus
Rookie

IN regards to the aftermarket radio, you cant use the factory amp. you have to bypass that amp. also you will need to run str8 speaker wire to the radio to the speakers.or if you can find the after market plug for your car.. i did the str8 wire, it just a few minutes with a light tester.
Old 01-13-11, 03:40 PM
dcapo
Driver

yeh i have 3 blue ccfl tubes in my car, 2 on each front footwell that is connected to a music interface controller, then 1 in the trunk to replace trunk light. i used the ccfl for cpu's that comes with a lil adapter box to convert to 12v. very bright n works really well for me.

factory amp for is located in the front passenger footwell. i used these crimp? connectors to avoid cutting to connect my extended stereo wires to the the stock speakers that are connected to the factory amp.
Old 01-13-11, 09:11 PM
ColinES3
Driver School Candidate

dcapo - Where did you get your CCFLs? And how difficult was the install?
Old 01-17-11, 01:10 AM
dcapo
Driver

Originally Posted by ColinES3
dcapo - Where did you get your CCFLs? And how difficult was the install?
i got mine from fry's, any computer store should have it. its neons for cpu's, cpu uses 12v power supply, it comes with a converter for the ccfl tube and double-sided velcro

the ccfl is ok for now but i think led's tube are better as for brightness which what ill go for as a final mod
Old 01-18-11, 09:08 PM
gmac1337
Driver

I have a Pioneer navigation system installed in my car and I believe it utilizes the factory amp. It looks like the installers wired the head unit to the oem amplifier.

For HID's, i chose 4300k 35w low beam from DDM tuning. The light looks white with no hint of blue. Cheap and they have worked well for the past couple of years.