ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Window molding/seal on 98 ES300

Old 12-21-10, 05:26 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window molding/seal on 98 ES300

Just wondering if anyone with a 3rd Gen ES has had or is experiencing the black window molding with the chrome strip that runs above the windows on each side of the car, pull away from the car? I noticed several years ago when my sister owned the car that the molding was pulling away and down, causing the window to rub on the bottom part of the molding when you close the door with the window all the way up. Now, that I own it, the molding has pulled farther away, about a half inch gap from the car. My issue now is, it now allows water into the car via the A-pillar down the front door jam onto the wire harness and is causing my courtesy door light to ground causing the light to come on even with the door closed. I noticed my driver side is starting to have the same issue, but doesnt leak water yet. I took the car into the Lexus dealer to have them repair it. Its going to cost $225.00 for new outside molding, 5 ft of molding all the way to the back and $225.00 for labor, just for one side. Anyways, just wondering if others have had this issue. Thanks.
Old 12-21-10, 09:17 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

buy the parts, not labor.

This should be an easy fix, from what i can tell [and noticed] this piece just pulls up/off like in most cars. There shouldn't be any bolts or anything of the sort.

Its more like a weather stripping if anything that 'sits' on the edges of the metal.
Old 12-22-10, 05:15 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
buy the parts, not labor.

This should be an easy fix, from what i can tell [and noticed] this piece just pulls up/off like in most cars. There shouldn't be any bolts or anything of the sort.

Its more like a weather stripping if anything that 'sits' on the edges of the metal.
Yes, it looks like it pull out and up, so I figured I could hammer it back down onto the car and it just made things worse, instead of it getting closer to the car, it appeared to pull more away from the car. There also appears to be metal clips holding it to the metal lip/edge of the car. I didnt want to run it more and just decided to have the dealer remove and install for me. I guess no ones ever had this issue with there 3rd Gen ES', lucky me. I just cant believed it leaked water in. It's a Lexus, now I feel like I'm driving a bucket, lol. I just hope with the new molding will fix my leaking water issue. Next, is my drivers side, same issue, but not leaking water yet.
Old 12-23-10, 01:23 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Molding on these cars are the weak link on this car.
I think the sound from the wind is more noticeable due to this frameless design.

If you're gonna DIY it, please let us know how easy or hard it was to do.
I may have to do this myself someday.
Old 12-23-10, 09:15 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OceanView
Molding on these cars are the weak link on this car.
I think the sound from the wind is more noticeable due to this frameless design.

If you're gonna DIY it, please let us know how easy or hard it was to do.
I may have to do this myself someday.
You are right about a weak link and wind sound. I dont like the design of the molding for a frameless window. The design when it fails allow water to flow down the A-pillar and then onto the plastic side of the dash board near the door jam and then it migrates behind the plastic kick panel near the door jam. The water then drips onto the wire looms behind the kick panel down onto the floorboard and across the bottom of the glove box, basically dripping down onto the floor. The molding above the window needs to be sealed against the car to prevent a lot of water from entering behind and down the molding. Being a Lexus, you would think it would of been designed better, especially if the molding failed, water could of drained out ward from the car, instead of inward. No DIY, its at the dealer getting fixed. The dealer had to order the full length strip (black plastic and chrome strip) from front to back and clips to reinstall it. It will be done today and the cost, will be just under $500.00 One side down, after holidays will get the driver's side done too. I guess I'm the only one experiencing water issues with the molding.
Old 12-23-10, 10:38 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is pricey.
Mine's not leaking yet and hopefully it won't ever but I doubt I would pay that much to get it done. For both sides that would be a $1000 and I think my car is worth about $4000 or less right now because of the excessive mileage.
Don't think it's worth the money to change it out at this point.
Old 12-23-10, 11:18 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Any body-shop will do the job for MUCH less than the dealer would. They may even be able to re-use your existing moulding, as well as determine if there is an underlying problem that caused this in the first place, and that needs to be addressed.

Go for an estimate

Last edited by PFB; 12-23-10 at 12:56 PM.