ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Best metal glue out there.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 10:37 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best metal glue out there.

Hello fellow members. I need some help. What is the best glue to use on aluminum? I some how broke the arm from the throttle body that holds up the throttle cable and kick down cable. It broke about 2cm from the the two bolts that hold the the piece of black metal that holds the throttle cable and kick down cable. It broke vertically and now I'm trying to figure out what glue will withstand the heat and keep it from breaking off again. So, I'm asking you all, which glue would be the best to use on Aluminum? I recently used JB quik weld and covered it with regular JB weld and it cracked, seems like the JB quick weld failed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-09-10, 05:35 PM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JB Weld will effectively seal leaks and cracks in aluminum and thermo-plastics very well, provided there is no stress on the crack. I'm not sure of the physical shape of the part you're trying to bond, but it sounds like you'll need to drill holes and use pop rivets to physically keep the part together, or fabricate a new bracket out of thick aluminum scrap. Fine to JB Weld the joint and also rivet it together as well.
I'd imagine this piece is cast aluminum, so there should be lots of 'meat' to drill into to seat the rivets. If the broken piece is too thick to put the rivets through, either grind it down or make a new piece of the right thickness, usually 1/8" stop sign stock will work well (scrap yard or a midnight visit to the intersection with a battery powered cutting tool).
I know of nothing else that works short of Tig-welding, which doesn't sound like it would be a suitable fix here. I have repaired lots of brackets in the manner outlined with great sucess however.
Old 12-09-10, 06:26 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need a picture. But if there's any load on it, JB Weld probably isn't gonna work. Can you drill and tap a screw through it?
Old 12-10-10, 02:03 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys for the input, I will take a picture, but I ended up removing the throttle body with the broken arm support. The other day, I guess with the heat and cold and vibration the repair I made using JB weld cracked and for the short coming I used Gorilla Glue as a temp solution to get home. Believe it or not the Gorilla Glue actually worked better than the JB weld. Well, anyway, removed the throttle body and replaced it with my OEM throttle body. I had a rebored throttle body in place, but the cable support arm is the one that broke. Well, I'm either going to follow the above advice or take it somewhere where they can weld the arm back on. I will post pics of the broken cable support arm when I have a chance. Again, thanks fellas.
Old 12-11-10, 12:57 PM
Defiant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't find a glue that'll live there. However, there are aluminum "brazing" (or, soldering) rods available which you use with a propane torch. I don't know how well it'd hold.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUMI...ltDomainQ5f100
Old 12-12-10, 06:28 AM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Defiant
You won't find a glue that'll live there. However, there are aluminum "brazing" (or, soldering) rods available which you use with a propane torch. I don't know how well it'd hold.
Short answer, from my experience (I have 1/2 doz. of them left), they don't hold with any strength.
Old 12-12-10, 04:32 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
Need a picture. But if there's any load on it, JB Weld probably isn't gonna work. Can you drill and tap a screw through it?
Don't underestimate JB Weld. A friend of mine used it to mend a hole in his engine block Truck still runs great 50k miles later.