ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-02, 09:11 AM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch up paint

I've got a little problem.

See, due to my cars old age but relatively small mileage (it's a 92 with about 66k on it, was garaged alot of it's life) the car looks great and almost relatively new almost everywhere, except for the front.

There's a bunch of tiny paint chips and holes and stuff from where driving wore it down in the front.

Being a do it yourself kind of guy, I was wondering has anybody had any experience with at home touch up paint kits like www.paintscratch.com ?
Old 08-03-02, 09:57 AM
jgrooms
Driver

I bought some touch-up paint directly from the Lexus dealer for $7.50 per bottle. It was easy to apply and matched perfectly.

Just my .02 cents...

- J
Old 08-03-02, 11:37 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I did some touch ups this week, too

I had my own experience with touch up paint this week. I was in the underground parking garage at work, and the only space left was a narrow one with a 3 foot diameter pole to the right. So, I pull in fast, to beat out some guy in an 02 Camry, and manage to scuff the corner of my bumper.
I got home and tryed to polish it out, but there were still four six inch long streaks. One was on the black upper part, and the other three were on the graphite lower part.
On the way to work the next day, I stopped by the fine folks at Metro Lexus in Cleveland. I told my story to the parts guy, and told him what color my car was. He found the two bottles, and when I pulled out my wallet to pay, told me not to worry. So, at least I saved the $15 on the two bottles of paint.
The fix looks pretty decent. It's not noticeable on the black part at all, because non-metallic black is very easy to blend. The graphite part is noticeable in bright sunlight, but in artificial light (like a brightly light gas station) the color matches perfectly, all one sees is a slight difference in texture.
I also used the black to touch up some rock chips in the hood, my daily commute takes me through a construction zone on the freeway, where trucks kick up gravel, etc.
Old 08-04-02, 03:47 PM
BAWLEX94
Lead Lap

BigGuyRy

I have the exact same problem....my 94 has few miles (60K exactly) and several paint chips in the hood from driving......im interested also in buying some touch up paint....but is it simple to apply?
Old 08-04-02, 08:12 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Well I'm not sure, the more I read about it the less I want to do it myself... It might be worth taking to a professional or something, because there's lots of ways to screw up.

Anybody done it themselves?
Old 08-04-02, 09:17 PM
jgrooms
Driver

It comes in a bottle with a small applicator brush (like nail polish). It's very easy to apply, just dab a little paint on the chip, scratch, etc. and let dry.

- J
Old 08-05-02, 09:06 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

The thing is, grooms, you're driving a relatively new car compared to us.

Problem 1: Lexus dealership may not carry paint for our old colors

Problem 2: Our paint may have faded too much to match touch up
Old 08-06-02, 12:15 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by TheBigGuyRy

for problem number 2: just touch up the whole entire car!
Old 08-06-02, 08:31 AM
jgrooms
Driver

First of all "bigguy", I was responding to BAWLEX94's question of how easy the touch-up paint was to apply, not whether it matched or was available.

Second, there is only one way to find out if the dealership has touch-up paint to match your car... CALL THEM. Is that too difficult? If they have it, they might even let you dab a little on your car to see how close it matches.

Think man.

- J

Originally posted by TheBigGuyRy

Old 08-06-02, 08:40 AM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

You must have a Nice lexus dealership around where you live, cause the guys in the one around here are a bunch of rapists. They probably wouldn't sell it to me even if they had it.

Haha Mezoom, touch up the entire car? like... paint it all? with touch up paint?
Old 08-06-02, 09:59 AM
BAWLEX94
Lead Lap

BigGuyRY

do you use Hendrick Lexus of Charlotte or Johnson Lexus of Raleigh?
Old 08-06-02, 10:56 AM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Well I "use" Johnson Lexus, but I got terrible service the one time I went there...

Basically they're more concerned with swindling 40 year old men who want a new GS then helping an 18 year old with his old ES300

I ordered a kit from paint scratch.com..... i'll let you all know the results when I'm done.
Old 08-06-02, 11:18 AM
blux
Pole Position

[i]
Basically they're more concerned with swindling 40 year old men who want a new GS then helping an 18 year old with his old ES300 [/B]

OH.....W0RD up to that man....couldnt have said it better...Lexus dealerships are a joke...except for the free coke machine...hah
Old 08-06-02, 12:57 PM
BAWLEX94
Lead Lap

i was gonna say that i've never been to Johnson Lexus, but Hendrick Lexus of Charlotte has phenomonal service......they gave my mom and I one of those "Lexus" tags that go on the front of the car for free........and it was when i had my '91 ES 250!! thats an $85 tag!
Old 05-25-13, 04:17 AM
difill1
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Paint Touch Up

I just wanted to let everyone know that during the last year I have used Dr Colorchip as seen on tv. This is the forth car that I have touched up multiple chips around the car and especially the usual front bumper chips. I have to say that it works just like on the commercial and one important thing I have noticed is that after several months it does not shrink and dry up or change color like the dealership touch up tubes. Also, while applying, when using the blending solution, don't rub the surface too hard, just let the solution penetrate and when you follow with the microfiber, let that step in buffing remove the remainder of paint that was left over. Also, I have found if you wax your car a lot that first cleaning the damaged areas with alcohol makes the paint apply better. This product is well worth the price and the colors I have used have matched perfectly and made chips so they are not visible when you get ten feet away from the car. It really did save me from having to go to the body shop to have the front end "freshened up". On scratches the product works pretty much like other touch up paint, I feel this paint is really meant for chips and I highly recommend it to anyone. This company also has all of the paint codes for the lower body cladding which is sometimes difficult to find on some Lexus models whereas it is not on the door jam and they have excellent customer service.

Quick Reply: Touch up paint