ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2000 ES Lowering Springs???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 07:16 AM
Sltwtrking
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2000 ES Lowering Springs???

I need some help from the forum members here.

I'm going to drop my cruiser and want to confirm that the Eibach part numbers below will work on my 2000 ES300. From my research here, I believe they should but I want to be certain.

Eibach # 8249.140 (1.2" F/R ~ listed for 2000 Camry MCV20/SXV20 chassis)
Eibach # 8258.140 (1.6" F/R ~ listed for 2000 Solara MCV20 chassis)

Anyone have any recommendations from the two kits above?

I'm currently on stock suspension with 18x8 +40 wheels mounted with 225/45-18's. I would like to run the 1.6" drop but am a little concerned about the exhaust hitting the ground. I have plenty of clearance to the fenders so that is not a concern except maybe in the front.

I assume the ES300 is a little heavier than the Camary/Solara so maybe it would be best to run the 1.2" drop?

TIA!
Old 12-02-10, 07:34 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I have been deliberating this for over a year now, based upon what i found i will be ultimately going with a 'staggered' drop as i like to call it.

Pretty much drop the front 1.6" and the rear 1.0-1.2" i believe H&R makes a set like that and i found some others brands online i think Tanabe.

This would be to account for the lean you'd get. If you get the same drop all around the rear is going to sit lower than the front no matter what - and that looks like crap...

Hence why i'd drop the front more than the rear. GL!
Old 12-02-10, 07:45 AM
Sltwtrking
Driver

^
Makes sense and I could do that with the kits above assuming they will work on my application which is what I'm trying to confirm.

I wonder how the staggered spring set-up will affect handling being that the kits are different?
Old 12-02-10, 11:24 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ Sltwtrking

You may also want to look into purchasing coilovers for the car. That way you can eliminate the "staggered" drop that you get from lowering springs. Just as your research showed how the lowering springs from the Camry and Solara work, Coilovers from those cars can swap over to the ES300's as well. However you should be careful how much you drop the car because the subframe of ES/Camry/Avalon hangs really low. If you are looking to pick up some used ones if you dont want to spend a lot on a brand new pair check out toyotanation and look @ the Camry parts for sale.

Good Luck w the drop!
Old 12-03-10, 07:26 AM
Sltwtrking
Driver

^
You rock radiokilla. Thanks for the tip.

I would love to put my cruiser down on coilovers! Like you said, you control every aspect of the drop which I like. The spring kit however, I will be getting for FREE so I'm going to go this route for now.

So is my research correct in that the part numbers listed in the OP are correct for my application?

Last edited by Sltwtrking; 12-04-10 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 08:06 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

lol nice, how did you get a free kit?!
Old 12-03-10, 08:16 AM
Sltwtrking
Driver

^
Not to sound cocky but I know some people that know some people at Eibach.
Old 12-03-10, 09:39 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^ you don't come off that way in the least... but nice score!

It always pays to 'know people'
Old 12-03-10, 09:47 AM
Sltwtrking
Driver

^
Yes it does!
Old 12-03-10, 10:46 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

I've got h&r lowering springs I'm about to get kyb struts and mounts
Old 12-03-10, 04:29 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

@ sltwtrking

Thats pretty sweet that you are getting those springs for free! Isn't it great to know people in the right places? But before you get too excited, remember "there's no such thing as a free lunch." Like I said before you will have to buy some new shocks to compensate for the drop. this will cost you 5-600 dollars. The 2000 Camry curb weight is about 3120lbs and the curb weight on the 2000 ES300 is 3274 so you are looking at 150lbs difference plus your weight + whatever you carry around in the car with you. This means you may get a slightly larger drop than 1.2" and 1.6" but it may not end up being too much of a difference once the springs settle after a couple thousand miles you will see. However With those 45 series tires of yours you will definitely get some rubbing on the rear fenders so you might want to look at getting some lower profile ones or getting your fenders rolled which is another little hidden cost. Also if this is your daily cruiser and you drive people around in it especially 3 passengers in the back seat you might want to get those adjustable shocks and set them to be really stiff to minimize bounce. I know it seems weird to think about all these little things that just the lowering springs will effect but make sure you really want to go for it. I totally support you if you do man but keep in mind other cars like IS and GS and LS take to lowering much better than the ES does which is why its not a very popular platform for modification. Just make sure your car is set up so you can drive safely!

Have Fun!
Old 12-03-10, 09:31 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not a big fan of springs on the ES. I've had plenty of springs in the past and I've learned that the aftermarket shocks for the ES can't handle anything more than maybe an inch. Anything more is just pushing it. The shocks, even though they are a bit more stiff than stock, wear down really quick, maybe about 20k miles max when you start feeling the car bottom out bad on dips.

The only aftermarket shocks you will find for the ES are the KYB GR-2 and the Tokico Blues, neither of which will last long with a drop more than an inch. I've had both and they are great when new, but after 15k or so, mine were worn down and I bottomed out on just about everything.
Old 12-04-10, 11:59 AM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

replace your upper mounts at the same time, especially since you'll have the suspension taken apart anyway.
Old 12-04-10, 12:34 PM
Sltwtrking
Driver

Good information everyone and thank you radiokilla

I just replaced my shocks with KYB GR2s about 12K miles or so ago so I should be in good shape there for a while. The rear fenders are going to be close for sure. Before my TSWs I had the 18x8 +45 AirStrikes on (looked aweful on the car BTW) and the tires rubbed the rear struts ever so slightly. I went with the +40 offset on the Cofts and now I have about 3-4mm of clearance from the strut. Clearance to the fender looks good though so I'm curious to see if the tires rub in the rear once dropped. If so, I'll mod the fenders. I rarely, if ever, have people riding in the backseat besides my 30lb. son

Based on the weights radiokilla provided, I'm going to run the 1.2" drop on all four corners.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures up soon with the drop installed. Here's how my cruiser sits now. I think the drop will really finish it off.

And here's what the AirStrikes looked like...

Last edited by Sltwtrking; 12-04-10 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 02:15 PM
THinton252
Driver School Candidate

I'm new to the whole Lexus club but I want to lower my ES as well with coil overs. I just can't find any. I think I'm not looking hard enough. PLEASE HELP!!!

Quick Reply: 2000 ES Lowering Springs???